What is your own personal proof you are in the right Church?

My question is this, we all have our own personal reasons for the Church we go to and why we go there.

I belong to the RCC. Why do I feel that it is the True Church started by Christ?

Here are my reasons. I look at Peter, my personal proof what I mean by that is in my own common sense mind I see it this way. (this is what I mean by our own personal proof). I see that Peter and the Apostles we all commanded by Christ to begin the Church in this world.

Now Peter was at the Actual Church in Rome where the Pope is today. To me the RCC was for sure the true Church because Peter was the original Aposlte of Christ and he is buried there to this day.

God said you are Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church. He did, And to make thisgs easier, Peter is buried under that Church:D.

But truly to me in simple terms I know Peter was a part of the RCC. I know Peter was a true disciple of Christ, So beings he is tied to the RCC I feel that is my own true personal proof.

Just wondering how to do you guys feel about your Church.

Please remember it is the Holiday Season and lets all be kind.

Basically what you say. God gave the keys to the kingdom of Heaven to Peter, and not Peter and some others jointly.

The only other one that has a valid claim to that is the Orthodox, and their claim is severely undermined by their Anglican-style waffling on contraception.

Because of the Saints.

Everything the OP stated and also the gates of hell have not prevailed against it.
Mary.

Although I am not Catholic yet, I thought I would give my reasons or why I am becoming Catholic. It cannot be attributed to one factor, but rather many that come together to complete the puzzle.

1. Catholic moral teaching is consistent and explains the world and the human experience more adequately than any other moral theory I have encountered.

2. Christian history seems to point to the Catholic faith. Because the Orthodox Church also makes compelling arguments for theirs being the original faith, this factor alone would not be enough for me to convert, but given the other pieces the Catholic faith comes out ahead for me.

3. The saints.

4. The philosophical and theological fruits that have come from the tradition are unmatched.

5. I enjoy that in the Catholic Communion both the Eastern and Western theological traditions are included and available. When I considered Orthodoxy, I didn’t feel right disregarding the theology and saints of the Latin Church.

Why am I becoming Catholic? In the words of Walker Percy, “What else is there?”

As a Lutheran, I view my church as a valid continuation of the Western church. Our church confesses that in our creeds as we hope for reconciliation of God’s church under Christ.

On a very personal level - God has placed my in my church, and had repeatedly shown me, my family, and our church love and affection. I will not abandon lightly the place that God has made for me. I am content.

I will also say that I appreciate the Catholic church - the steadfast way it has maintained the dignity of human life is an inspiration to not only me, but I feel increasingly, to my church.

But for me and my family, and for now, we are contend to be under God’s grace as he has show us.

I used to doubt the Real Presence. I WANTED it to be my Lord but had some hesitations. “What if we are wrong?” I used to ask. Then I realized that if we were wrong on this central point we could be wrong about anything. This offered hope but I was increasingly desperate. I read a book called The Mass of the Early Christian by a man named Aquilnas. All doubt in the Real Presence was removed. Now if the Church has taught the same thing from day one as it does now combined with the idea that it is illogical that it be possible that Jesus would leave the Church in the hands of men that could error to the point of Its follower’s damnation cinched it for me. Any other faith be the way to Salvation? Any other Church having the Fullness of Truth? Impossible!

My “proofs” are too numerous to mention…Many have been touched on my others.

I came home to the Church because of the Eucharist…

But all the “proofs”, supports, feelings and knowledge stems from the single word “Agape”…

Peace
James

If we want to find the true Christian faith–in all its fullness–we need to look at its foundation. Depending on whatever statistics we look at there are anywhere from 33,000 to 150, 000 groups, cults, and denominations each claiming to have the authentic Christian faith. Who is right? By looking at the founders of these groups we can come up with some key insights. For the purpose of this work, we will look at the founders of the main Christian and pseudo-Christian ecclesiastical communities in the United States and Europe. All quality historians, from Harvard to Oxford, and all quality history books, whether Catholic or secular, recognize Jesus as founding the Catholic Church (ca. 33 AD). More will be said about this later. Now let us look at some of the Protestant and pseudo-Christian ecclesiastical communities. Remember, there was no such thing as a Protestant Church until the sixteenth century; Jesus can never be claimed as the founder of any Protestant denomination. Let us look at some of their founders:

Lutherans Martin Luther (ca. 1517)
Anabaptists Nicholas Storch/ Thomas Munzer (ca. 1521)
Swiss Reformed Ulrich Zwingli (ca. 1522)
Hutterites Jacob Hutter (ca. 1528)
Anglicans Henry VIII (ca. 1534)
Calvinists John Calvin (ca. 1536)
Familists Hendrik Niclaes (ca. 1540)
Unitarians Michael Servetus (ca. 1553)/ Joseph Priestly (ca. 1785)
Presbyterians Calvin/ John Knox (ca. 1560)
Arminianism Jacobus Arminius (ca. 1560-1609
Puritans T. Cartwright (ca. 1570)
Congregationalists Robert Brown (ca. 1582)
Baptists John Smyth (ca. 1609)
Dutch Reformed Michaelis Jones (ca. 1628)
Quakers George Fox (ca. 1650)
Mennonites Menno Simons (ca. 1653)
Cameronians Richard Cameron (ca. 1681)
Pietism Philip Jacob Spener (1675)
Amish Jakob Amman (ca. 1693)
Church of the Brethren Alexander Mack (ca. 1708)
Moravians Count Zinzendorf (ca. 1727)
Calvinistic Methodist Howell Harris (ca. 1735)
American Dutch Reformed Theodore Frelinghuysen (ca. 1737)
Seceders Ebenezer Erskine (ca. 1740)
Shakers Ann Lee (ca. 1741)
Methodists John Wesley (ca. 1744)
Universalists John Murray (ca. 1779)
Episcopalians Samuel Seabury (ca. 1784)
African Methodist Episcopal Richard Allen (ca. 1787)
Zion Church
Unitarians Joseph Priestley (ca. 1794)
Harmony Society Church George Rapp (ca. 1803)
Mormons Joseph Smith (ca. 1829)
Disciples of Christ Barton W. Stone/ Alexander Campbell (ca. 1832)
Seventh Day Adventist William Miller (ca. 1844)/ Ellen G. White
Christadelphians John Thomas (ca. 1848)
Christian Reformed Gysbert Haan (ca. 1857)
Salvation Army William Booth (ca. 1865)
Christian Scientists Mary Baker Eddy (ca. 1879)
Jehovah’s Witnesses Charles Taze Russell (ca. 1884)
Nazarenes Phineas Bresee (ca. 1895)
Pentecostals C.F. Parham/ William Seymour/ A.J.Tomlinson (ca.1903/1906)
Alliance Albert Benjamin Simpson (ca. 1905)
Church of God in Christ Charles Mason (ca. 1907)
Foursquare Aimee Semple McPherson (ca. 1918)
Church of God Joseph Marsh (ca. 1920)
Worldwide Church of God Herbert W. Armstrong (ca. 1934)
Confessing Church Martin Niemoller (ca. 1934)
Evangelical Free E. A. Halleen (ca. 1950)
Moonies Sun Myung Moon (ca. 1954)
Children of God David Mo Berg (ca. 1969)
Universal Church of Macedo de Bezarra (1977)

Obviously we cannot name all 33,000 Protestant denominations and their founders, nor the 150,000 plus pseudo-Christian denominations. But I think the point is obvious.
Only one Church was founded upon Christ in the year 33 AD, the Catholic Church. As Ignatius of Antioch, the disciple of John and friend of Peter and Paul, and the one referred to in Mark 9:35, declares in his letter to the Smyrneans (8): “[W]herever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.”

PILLAR

Well, this is going to sound funny–considering I place so much stock in truth as the basis for the authenticity of faith and morals, but I had an experience in which Mary spoke to me. Disclaimer here–this is strictly my own experience and no one has to put any stock in it–not even me. But what was so wonderful about it was that instead of being hard on me when I told her I could not let her help me, as she asked of me (I was a Pentecostal at the time and had just read, out of curiosity–“The Song of Bernadette”), she laughed at my presumption like a mother laughing at a child who won’t let her hug her out of a stubborn need to be independent. No one else had ever laughed at my determination to be militantly against any sort of lax attitude regarding idolatry, or my perception of idolatry, which I thought giving honor to Mary had to be. She understood my scruples completely, gently laughed and merely said, “We’ll talk another time.” The whole encounter took place as I walked to work one day–I didn’t even break my stride it was over so quickly, but it made me realize that all my posturing against Catholicism was only that–posturing. That I really didn’t know anything about it from anyone who knew what it actually taught and/or why it teaches it. So, I let myself learn, and that led to being reconciled with the Church. So, my “proof” began with an experience but ended knowing the truth and accepting it.

I’m a cradle Catholic, but have three main reasons I’m still Catholic:

1. To paraphrase the priest at the Newman Center, we’re the only religion whose founder didn’t have a way or truth, but IS the Way and the Truth
  2. The Church Jesus founded is the Catholic Church (and for that matter, we compiled the Bible everyone uses)
  3. It’s too personal of a story for me to want to share on a forum, but I’ll just say my prayers were answered a few years ago :blush:

Why am I Caholic? Simple answer, God told me to be a Catholic.
When my parents became Catholic after years of being Charismatic non-denoms, though finishing in the Assemblies of God, they (especially my mom) tried to get me to "see the Truth". That's how I thought of it. I was looking forward to being a pastor (in God's time, I had completed my studies, but hadn't found a job.) I was involved in various ministries. God was using me. My favorite phrase, "That's nice for you, but I'll *neve*r be Catholic."

When my husband, son and I moved to Las Vegas in 2003, I would literally sit with the phone book on my lap every day and pray, "God, where do you want my to go to church, where I can be used and eventually find a job?" And every day God would answer, "Go be Catholic." "Huh?" "Go be Catholic." "What???!!!" "Go be Catholic." "But, God, you called me to be a pastor." "Go be Catholic." "But, God, I can't be Catholic and be a pastor. I'm a woman! (like I was telling him something he didn't already know!) "Go be Catholic." This seemed to go on forever, but in reality it couldn't have been too long, because we moved in July of 2003.
On my desk I had a little framing of a quote I had found by Dietrich Bonhoeffer that said, "Only those who believe are obedient and only those who are obedient believe."

Long story short, including a miracle that convinced me God must be the one telling me to be Catholic, I started RCIA in Sept and my husband and I were received into the Church Easter Vigil, 2004.

I didn't expect to find any more Truth in the Catholic Church than I had found anywhere else. I was surprised. Blessedly, blissfully (for a theological nerd) surprised.

Now I would never go anywhere else. As St Peter said, "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." (John 6:68 NABRE)
Kris

i was raised in a southern baptist community and had may questions that could never be answered, i remember one particular time when my mother slapped me for “questioning God”, i was rebuked often as a child any time i asked a question because “we don’t question God”. this is a really weird part, everyday on my way to school, i walked past a Catholic Church/School and always felt a want to go there. At 16 i left the church i was raised in and refused/ignored God.
15 years ago (out of the blue) i was driving down a road and saw a small old Catholic Church, it overwhelmed me, i pulled over in the parking lot and started crying for no reason or so i thought.
Now present time, i moved to a new area in my state (the really freaky part), i had a dream and saw a Catholic Church a few months ago, i figured the Holy Spirit must be leading me as i was beginning to to yearn for something deep in my heart. Anyway, i looked up the closest Catholic Church in the nearest town (almost an hour from my home), i drove into town to find its location and find out the Mass times. Imagine my surprise/awe, it was the exact church i saw in my dream.
I know this is a crazy story to most, but after 3 times of being “moved by a Catholic Church”…it says i belong in the Catholic Church. Yes, i am having to reconfigure the way i believe but it feels right and comfortable. Wish i had made the move when i was 16.

I was given my religion when I was a baby. :) It's what I've always been. I think if I was meant to be something else I would have been called to change.

=rinnie;10090229]My question is this, we all have our own personal reasons for the Church we go to and why we go there.

I belong to the RCC. Why do I feel that it is the True Church started by Christ?

Here are my reasons. I look at Peter, my personal proof what I mean by that is in my own common sense mind I see it this way. (this is what I mean by our own personal proof). I see that Peter and the Apostles we all commanded by Christ to begin the Church in this world.

Now Peter was at the Actual Church in Rome where the Pope is today. To me the RCC was for sure the true Church because Peter was the original Aposlte of Christ and he is buried there to this day.

God said you are Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church. He did, And to make thisgs easier, Peter is buried under that Church:D.

But truly to me in simple terms I know Peter was a part of the RCC. I know Peter was a true disciple of Christ, So beings he is tied to the RCC I feel that is my own true personal proof.

Just wondering how to do you guys feel about your Church.

Please remember it is the Holiday Season and lets all be kind.

Well from my perspective;

God only founded One Church:thumbsup:

It seems to me: Because there is only One God; that there would therefore be only one set of Faith beliefs:rolleyes:

John.10: 16 “And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd”

This rings with the simplicirty of the truth to me:)

Continued Blessings,

Pat /PJM

Well its really simple. When God decides to show himself to you and He tells you that He has not forgotten you and that you (myself) may return, well thats all I needed to come back. He did not say come back to the Catholic Church, just come back. And when our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ tells you to protect His Church while standing in His Church, well you take and run. These are just 2 of my visions out of many that I have been blessed to have. The first 2 I just told you about were when I didnt believe in God no more and the very sound of His name made me really mad. God loves everyone :thumbsup:

“As the Church of Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Antioch, have erred, so also the Church of Rome hath erred, not only in their living and manner of Ceremonies, but also in matters of Faith.”

The Church of England has also erred. But as a Protestant I assert my right to disregard the unbiblical teachings of the Church to which I belong. Were I Roman Catholic, I would not be able to do so.

What a sad and distorted view of the Christian faith! :eek: I wouldn’t take the quoted comment at face value. I’d have to ask myself who stated it and why. Maybe you should consider the motives/agenda behind that quote before writing off the Catholic Church or any Christian body, for that matter. :slight_smile:

=Indifferently;10091838]"As the Church of Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Antioch, have erred, so also the Church of Rome hath erred, not only in their living and manner of Ceremonies, but also in matters of Faith."

The Church of England has also erred. But as a Protestant I assert my right to disregard the unbiblical teachings of the Church to which I belong. Were I Roman Catholic, I would not be able to do so.

REALLY:)

And your meaning exactly what and how?:)

The Catholic Church cannot [an absolute imposssibility] error in ANY teaching on Faith and Morals...

Here's a site for easy look up:drbo.org/

Mt. 10: 1-8
Mt. 16:15-19
Mt. 18:18
Mt. 28:16-20
John 14:16-17
John 20:21-22
John 17:15-19
Each applies ONLY to Christ and His One Faith; One Church; catholic Church:thumbsup:

God Bless,
pat /PJM here on this Forum

I returned to the catholic church because for 2000 years it hasn’t changed it’s teaching on morals and theology and I attededned a non denominational church that drastically changed in only 7 years

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.