What is your preferred Bible translation?

I’m just curious and I ask that people not take the onliest position when they discuss this with other people on this post, i.e., you should only read this version. I have a preference for RSV-CE. I find it to be kind of the intermediate balance between literal and dynamic, that is it doesn’t dumb anything down but it is still easy to read. I do have legitimate criticisms of it too but I think that should be left for another post. Right now we’re just discussing our preferred versions. What do y’all think?

I like the New American Bible. The translation closely approximates modern English without taking anything away from the text.

it is not my preferred version but I do see why you like it, very cool. I think and I know this sounds kind of cheesy because a lot of people have said it; the best Bible is the one you read

True enough. I prefer dynamic translations, but I can see how they might go too far in that direction.

I like the NAB as well and it’s not cheesy at all to say the best Bible is the one you read. I think it sets a positive tone for this thread and is true!~

Mary.

I will be honest with you I know a lot of people hate the NRSV- CE but that was the Bible that got me into reading the Bible. It may not be my favourite but I’m still glad it had the impact it did.

I use the RSV-CE 2nd Edition but I like several others as well the Douay-Rheims Bible and the old Confraternity Bible are also favorites of mine.

As compared with prior editions and translations, it is my opinion that the US can do so much better than the NAB or NABRE. Text example: Mary is “favored one” while Stephen the martyr is “filled with grace” AYKM? NAB notes: Luke likely fabricated Mary’s Magnificat? Matthew’s Gospel is called that for the sake of convenience? Uff Da. Has any NAB reader prayed the “Prayer (to the Holy Spirit) before reading the Holy Scriptures”? Probably not, as it was omitted from the NAB and NABRE. Ugh.

From 1941-1969, the US Catholic Church had a simply excellent bible in the Douay-Confraternity edition. The OT began as pure Douay-Rheims, while the NT was a fresh 20th century translation. New translations of the OT were gradually introduced, and were the basis for the OT in the NAB. Available used for a song.

Now, a sleeper is the Revised English Bible (with “Apocrypha”) printed by both the Oxford and Cambridge press. It is perhaps the only true ecumenical translation on the market, being developed by Catholic and major Protestant denominations in the UK with the intention of removing denominational bias. It is easier to defend Catholic doctrine from it than from the NAB or NABRE. It is also available in a standard version. Very good-to-excellent used copies are around $4 from Amazon or ThriftBooks.

Those two, as well as (currently) a NRSV/Apocrypha sit atop my computer desk, with the rest of my collection nearby for comparison.

I used to have a hard time with Douay-Rheims, but it grew on me; it’s a beautiful translation but it’s not without its flaws. The cofraternity Bible is something I know about but I don’t know. If that makes sense. I haven’t got much experience with it in other words.

I’d second Church Militant’s commentary. If you haven’t at least gone thru the confraternity bible, you owe it to yourself to get a copy. I also find the NLT, although a non-Catholic translation is useful for explaining things to Christians, would be Catholics, and others just getting into Bible reading/studying.

Blessings,
Stephie

So far, I like the NRSV best, but I like to consult a few translations. When I post verses on social media, I usually use the NABRE because it’s the best Catholic bible for which I have an application on my phone. When I don’t like its wording on a verse, I’ll pick another version. Sometimes I think it misses the heart of a verse, but usually it’s good. I like a bible with clear English and good translation notes. I’m still looking for a Catholic interlinear bible.

This is my preferred translation. They do a nice job explaining which books are considered canonical by Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox. Some of the notes are cynical, though.

I have a special place in my heart for the NRSV and I remember talking to a Protestant lady I know and she read it because it wasn’t really complicated. I think she was a little eccentric but I gave us common ground to talk about the Bible. I found with RSV that’s also a pretty popular translation for Protestants. I think in the United States NABRE is going to be pretty familiar with Catholics because I think The Bishops own the copyright on it, if not that something of that nature. like I said before and even I’m quoting someone else; the best Bible is the one you read

Already good answers here with which I agree whole heartedly. I’ll just put a plug in for the 1966 Jerusalem Bible. I really like its English and its notes are not bad either.

In practice I consult with these three (not in any particular order:)

Haydock D/R Bible
RSV CE2 (Ignatius Study Bible)
1966 Jerusalem Bible

So if I come across a puzzling or disconcerting rendering, I will check the other two.

Not widely known, but I think the Knox is something special.

:blush:

I was wondering when someone was going to say the Jerusalem Bible.

I have heard a lot about it especially here but I don’t think I’ve gotten the chance to read it

My amazing wife got me a RSV-2CE for Christmas with my name on the leather cover. I love it!!! I think the RSV makes for a nice read. I’ve never had anything but the NAB, but I kind of feel like it was translated for “beginners” if that makes any sense…

For study, I have been using “The New American Catholic Answer Bible”. It is an NAB, but the notes, commentary, and helps enlightened me to so much about the Faith.

So, those two.

+Pax Christi+

I am going to tell you to tell your wife that she is an inspiration to Christian charity. I used to have the first edition of RSVCE but my nephew poured water on it and I decided to bury it which might help archaeologists in 1000 years if nothing else. My friend Bill, who knew I read the Bible a lot, actually got me the second edition just as a gift because I was reading the Bible, may he Rest in Peace by the way

I have several translations at home but the one I am most comfortable with, my “go to” Bible, is my first Bible, the 1970 New American Bible. It is my preferred Bible for sentimental reasons rather than anything else. However, when I post here I usually quote from the RSV-CE.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.