What is your preferred Bible translation?

Although I’ve only owned 3 Bibles in my life (apart from various and sundry King Jameses given to me which I have no use for obviously), my favorite and the one I quote from and use for primary readings, and recommend to new Catholics, is the GNT-CE. Clear, modern English without taking it into silly paraphrases featuring bathrooms and car tires. I argue that GNT is exactly what the Bible needs in the 21st century. When I pray The Lord’s Prayer, I pray the GNT translation. Whenever I spot a Bible verse I can’t remember in an article or somewhere, I flip to it in my GNT copy.

Good News does take some translation liberties that others may not agree with (Psalm 23, saying “Covenant Box” and “The Awful Horror,” etc., all of which would be unrecognizable from the more famous translations), but again, it’s all for the purpose of making the Bible understandable to modern readers as the perpetually-relevant, living Word, rather than just some 16th century novel or Shakespeare play.

I also, of course, have the RSV-CE in a compact edition. I use this one for closer studies and re-readings. Excellent “advanced” version of the Bible. Even though it’s small and the pages are toilet paper-thin, it’s still has nice pages where you can record family info, a page featuring a reproduction of Christ the Teacher, and a gold strap bookmark. I may upgrade to RSV-2CE in a bigger version though.

Previously, growing up, we had a copy of New American always on the coffee table. I can’t remember it thrilling me too much, but then again I didn’t read the Bible much when I was a kid. I get the sense that it wants to be in modern English but no just kidding we want to be like RSV. Had to throw it out recently because it was so tattered and stained.

I still look forward to collecting different editions, dynamic, literal and “balanced.” But GNT-CE remains my fave for now.

I like the NAB the best. I know the wording is a little clunky sometimes, but when I’ve had questions and look at how an original word was translated, it seems to be the most true.

That said, when I’m reflecting on a passage I really like to read it in several translations; it’s surprising how new something sounds when it’s worded different from what you’re used to.

I agree with someone else who said the Douay Rheims is a beautiful translation too.

Scripture is just so cool :slight_smile: :cool:

I have several copies of the Knox Bible. I would say that before 1966, the Knox Bible represented a very good updated (albeit somewhat idiosyncratic) translation of the Vulgate. Of course many would still prefer the 1941 Confraternity NT. But since 1966 we have the Jerusalem Bible and the RSV-CE Bible, which sort of supplant the Knox Bible and the Confraternity NT for an updated translation. Still, the Knox translation does have its own virtues; the Letters of Paul being one of its main recommendations. :slight_smile: Knox also published a set of Commentaries on his own translation to the NT.

is something I know about but I don’t know. If that makes sense. I haven’t got much experience with it in other words.Well worth the investment and you can find them pretty reasonably on Amazon.

Yep, Mine is right here on my desk.:slight_smile:

:thumbsup: I forgot about my '66 JB. It’s also a really fine Bible that was a gift from my wife’s sainted aunt who was a nun. God rest her soul.

You can find it online and it is worth having access to.

I understand and I love the line drawings in some of the editions, but the GNB is not really one of my go to versions, however, as the saying goes, “the best Bible translation is the one that you’ll read.”

Douay-Rheims.

I like the NRSV the best. The NABRE and CEB are also fresh translations. I always will have a place in my heart for the KJV as well though I admit.

The first link is to the Oxford study version with commentary, and for those who may not be familiar, the notes are by Jewish (OT), Protestant and Catholic sources. Nevertheless, there is usable information in them, if one knows their faith well. The last link is to the standard edition which has footnotes, but no commentary other than the introduction.

I asked Cambridge to consider a Catholic Edition and they welcomed input, as that helps them decide on new editions. Requests may be made here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.