What is your take on "Jehovah's Witnesses" sect?

What is your take on “Jehovah’s Witnesses” sect other than not considering JESUS as GOD?

Because I personally admire their ethics compared to some other Christian sects:

• Homosexual activity/same-sex marriages are forbidden.
  • Abortion is considered a murder.
  • Modesty in dress and grooming is frequently emphasized.
  • Gambling, drunkenness, illegal drugs, and tobacco use are forbidden.
  • Drinking of alcoholic beverages is permitted in moderation.

My only take on them that they emphasis on the name of GOD to be “Jehovah”, which I believe it should not, because GOD is universal, every nation could call Him by their native language!

I want nothing to do with them.

My mother in law was born and raised JW. When she was fourteen she told her parents she didn’t want to be JW anymore. She came home from school that day with her stuff on the front lawn and the locks changed. Her parents never spoke to her ever again. And the whole family shuns her because of that choice. They are filled with self righteous indignation, until they need money, then they cannot show up fast enough. Then when things are back to normal, she is back to shunned. They are the most hypocritical people I know, and its enough to avoid their religion like its the plague.

I know its an anecdotal example, but if have heard similar stories all over the place. It’s not a group I want to be around at all, who would disown a daughter for disagreement.

Yup, correct you are! El Elyon is the name he likes to go by, it’s universal.

2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
New International Version (NIV)
The Man of Lawlessness

2 Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

<3

Oh, and I LOVE the picture in your signature. :wink:

Whatever rocks your boat… as long as they don’t annoy me…

We had the misfortune of living next door to these people for seven years. And my take is…if they cannot control you…you are the enemy! Some of the rudest treatment I’ve ever endured by a neighbor was by these people. They used to come out and harass my family to a point that we couldn’t even enjoy our own backyard.

I’ve unfortunately got a similar story. Your post sure explains the past behavior of a former JW “friend” of mine. I thank you for posting it because it helps me to understand things a bit more clearly. I finally had to break off the friendship from my end. Very sad situation. I do still pray for her every day.

~~ the phoenix

Marcus Grodi had an ex Jehovah Witness on EWTN from the Journey Home last week, well the conversation was unusual to say the least on there belief.

I. There are 3 Gods, - God the Father is one, God the Son is two- God the Holy Spirit is 3.
2. This belief is very disturbing so I hope I wont shock anyone but only repeating what the
ex Jehovah Witness said, here goes.

That God the Father had sex with Mary and then was born Jesus, the second God.

1. That we can become God’s ourselves.

2. That when they go door to door, they only say they believe in God, not the above, as they don’t want to shock the person in the beginning, its only when they are hooked into coming into the JW then they reveal the above, otherwise they try and make out at there door to door they believe the same as every other Christian, which they don’t.

3. That after Joseph Smyth died which was not revealed to the general Public that he had 27 wives.

4. They are now going back to having as many wives as they can afford at the moment.

Yes, I know the feeling. I’ve experienced what you’re describing too, and it was pretty bizarre as this JW claimed to be my friend and “sister in Christ.”

~~ the phoenix

That’s Mormonism…

I think you find you have confused the Jehovah Witnesses with the Mormans - Joseph Smith was the founder of the Mormans, it was Charles Taze Russell who was the founder of the Jehovah Witnesses. That said I don’t believe it is our place to judge another persons belief system.

Pax et Bonum

:smiley: beat me by || that much… :smiley:

That after Joseph Smyth died which was not revealed to the general Public that he had 27 wives.

:eek::eek::eek:
CAN SOMEONE ELSE CONFIRM THESE ALLEGATIONS!!!

Because that will put them immediately in my “Black List” sects.

Celtic Maiden, are you thinking of the LDS/Mormon church with these last two points? Joseph Smith was the first prophet of the Mormon church, rather than the Witnesses. (Edit: whoops! I see two others beat me to it while I was typing! :thumbsup:)

I once had a co-worker who was raised as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Again, this is anecdotal, and from what he told me, his parents had other issues, but he talked about being verbally and physically abused, “forced” to go door-to-door, not being allowed to participate in school activities surrounding holidays…I think the last part is fairly typical. He was shunned (“disfellowshipped”) when he chose to leave the church, and his family pretty much ignored him for a number of years. Because he wasn’t allowed to celebrate Christmas as a child, he was as enthusiastic as a 5 year-old whenever it rolled around. :slight_smile:

:smiley: I take it you didn’t read on before posting the above… :wink:

They are banned (yes, banned), in my country. Clearly they are bad news especially for disseminating Watchtower publications and comics … breaking the peace thus the LAW of the land.

Not only that but because they refuse to sing the National Anthem and salute the country Flag and go awol on performing compulsory military duty as they don’t believe in being conscripted to military service.

Regarding military service, Jesus was not against it so…

Good riddance I say :wink:

MJ

Thanks everyone for clarifying member “Celtic Maiden” allegations.

“Celtic Maiden” you have shocked me !!! Be careful next time…

Sorry I did mean the Mormons- The Church of the Latter Day Saints.

So far negative comments by members but without fundamental reasons. :shrug:

The few JW’s that I’ve know personally were very nice, dedicated, and sincere people. It’s unfortunate that they put their loyalty, time, and belief into the JW religion, which is wacky beyond belief.

I actually did a Bible study with one of them in my younger days and it was my desire to find out if the things they were saying about other religions were true that actually led me to become Christian.

I have heard the horror stories about what happens to family and friends that choose to leave and it’s very sad. Of course they aren’t the only religion to practice shunning, although they are probably the most well documented.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.