What is your understanding of

Dear friend in Christ,

Today is Christmas:)

So it seems fitting to ask:

What is your understanding of "Keep holy the Sabbath day?

What, if anything IYO, does it obligate?

God Bless you, and Merry Christmas!

Patrick

This is an excellent question! Perhaps on this Christmas Day we can also ask how do we make the Sabbath delightful and glorious. I think Isaiah 58:13 gives an excellent concise answer to both questions.

Isaiah 58:13 If you refrain from trampling the sabbath, from following your own pursuits on my holy day; If you call the sabbath a delight, the LORD’s holy day glorious; If you glorify it by not following your ways, seeking your own interests, or pursuing your own affairs.

That’s my :twocents:

THANKS so very much!

GBY

Isaiah gives a good commentary on this as gazelam posts. Also reflect on this more detailed version of the commandment itself, which makes clear as well its reasons.

Remember that thou keep holy the Sabbath day. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all that thou hast to do; but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God. In it thou shalt do no manner of work, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, thy man-servant, and thy maid-servant, thy cattle, and the stranger that is within thy gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it.

I do know that you have to observe the Sabbath if you are to look upon God.

Hello,

I personally don't keep the Sabbath but my understanding of it is close to how the Jewish faith interprets it.  The link is the 39 things I shouldn't do.

jewfaq.org/shabbat.htm

Good choice and thanks for sharing it

GBY

THANKS for sharing,

But is God only available on and through the Sabbath?

GBY

THANK YOU!

Great information!

So why my friend do you not choose to “keep” the Sabbath?

GBY!

Hello PJM,

Many reasons why it would be too difficult to do every week.  I don't live in town so I wouldn't be able to go anywhere.  I would be able to read and exercise all day but that would be all.  There are a lot of events going on Saturdays which I would have to miss.  Occasionally I'll take a stab at keeping the Sabbath but I haven't tried in quite a while now.

From the examination of conscience that I use:

Have I…
• Set time aside each day for personal prayer to God?
• Missed Mass on Sunday or Holy Days (through own fault w/o sufficient reason)?
• Habitually come late to and/or leave early from Mass without a good reason?
• Shopped or done business unnecessarily on Sunday or other Holy Days of Obligation?
• Knowingly eaten meat on a forbidden day (or not fasting on a fast day)?
• Eaten or drunk within one hour of receiving Communion (other than water or for medical need)?

It’s been reported that it is PRUDENT to have this as one’s Life priorty:

GOD 1st

Family 2nd

Everything else falls below these:thumbsup:

When WE do this; life is a lot smoother:)

GBY my friend

Patrick

AMEN!

Thanks Randy!

GBY

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.