What it means to be an Altar Server (Video)

Here is a video I made on What it means to be an Altar Server. It was filmed at Incarnation Catholic Church in Tampa, Florida.

vimeo.com/74684667

God bless,
Eric

Very nice and very well done. A lot of my friends have already posted it on Facebook :slight_smile:

Outstanding video!!! I’m passing this on to one of our priests.
:thumbsup:

I forwarded this to our parochial vicar, who is in charge of the altar boys in my parish. I’m an adult altar server, and this meant so much to me, as well.

I have a question: is this an Extraordinary Form Mass? I could see incense, and a fiddleback chasuble, but maybe a freestanding altar.

Thank you for making this and may God bless you in your service!

It is, yes.

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing! I passed it along on Facebook, but it appears there’s no sound now. Did I do something wrong?

not necessarily it is possible to say mass ad orientem and it be the vatican II. The Girm does say that mass facing the people is desirable whereever possible but it is not a obligation of the mass. In a church where there is only a high alter and no alter that is detached from a wall is built you may say mass facing east. (note in some churches it happens both ways, the people face west meaning the priest faces east)

I would guess it is the EM but I wouldn’t be completely certain.

Love the video btw I hope all of these alter servers consider priesthood :).

You are correct, and I was unsure at first, since just about everything done there is also possible during the OF Mass ( Communion rail, Ad orientum, etc.

The clincher for me was the communion scene, the priest made the sign of the cross with the Eucharist before placing it on the tongue of the recipient.

There is no provision for that in the GIRM.

It is the TLM. This is Incarnation parish in Tampa. They just started up recently with a TLM.

sacrificiumsanctum.org/ - their TLM website

icctampa.org/latinmass - their regular website

I tried to watch the video but couldn’t. It would play for a few seconds and then stop a long time over and over. It took 5 minutes to watch 2:20of the video and I gave up.

What is up with the vestment the priest has on? I have never seen such an abbreviated chasuble in real life. Is it the Florida heat that makes him wear a chasuble that bares the arms?

That is called a ‘fiddleback’ chasuble and was one of the more common styles prior to Vatican II

ahhh, it makes sense now. I only converted in `1975. :slight_smile:

Yes, but I know for a fact that this Mass at this parish is a EF. (Unless they also celebrate their OF in Latin and east).

These are still rather commonly worn. Some people seem to freak out when they see them. It does not bother me as long as it fits. I think full chasubles are better at showing graceful folds, while these chasubles are better at showing the embroidery work.

They are certainly still around in the OF Mass, they are just considered to be more ‘formal’

Here is Pope Benedict in one.

It was filmed at the Traditional Latin Mass.

If you click the “HD” symbol on the video on Vimeo, it lowers the quality to standard definition, but makes it easier to load and play on older computers or slower Internet connections. You can also watch it on Youtube which also lowers the quality but plays more smoothly on older computers. youtube.com/watch?v=OWIMugHDgvQ

Beautiful video. I love our Alter Servers at St. Catherines. They are fabulous and do a great job of helping and assisting the Priests.

The Latin says (by modification) that the freestanding altar is desirable whenever possible. The Latin has other citations where the priest TURNS (versus) to the people to say Orate Fratres and such. The ICEL translated it as “facing the people.”

But you’re right, it’s not an obligation to say Mass facing the people.

Dynamic and inspiring. Thank you and God bless you for sharing this.

ok :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.