What keeps you Catholic? Not being converted to other Christian sects

Many will convert you to their sect or at least any Protestant sect, it’s shocking to see them showing that Catholicism is unbiblical or opposite to the Bible or the church is involved in a conspiracy, these are some of their strength, makes you want to believe right away.

But there are people who seems unmoved by these. What’s your reason for remaining a Catholic Christian despite all of these?

Their arguments can be countered by Scripture and history. If Protestantism is true then the early Church had it all wrong, which makes no sense. Studying Scripture and history helps to see the Protestant claims as incorrect. In my own life what keeps me Catholic is also the Holy Eucharist. If Jesus is physically present in our churches I don’t want to go somewhere else. Protestantism just seems bare to me - no Eucharist, Confession, Mary, Saints, blessed things, devotions, even no images. I say this as an ex-Protestant. I learned to begin to pray there and my faith in God grew, but God used that to draw me to the Church, though at first I really didn’t want to go :slight_smile: the reason I became Protestant at first is because I believed what the people there told me, but as I learned more I saw there were problems though I didn’t want to at first acknowledge them.

The Bible keeps me Catholic. I have had doubts but I felt like Peter:

Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.
John 6:68

When pondering once what Church I might leave to go to after my divorce I meditated upon this.

But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth.
1 Tim 3:15

The Church in the Bible is the Catholic Church.

I was born and raised Catholic but realized, during my college years, that I needed to make my own decision about what faith I would follow and I consciously chose to remain in the Faith: The Catholic Church is where I first encountered the person of Jesus Christ and that conversion experience in my mid-teens made a real mark on my heart and soul. Since my early twenties I’ve only been re-affirmed in my decision by what I have learned about Church history, the early Fathers of the Church, and the Bible itself.

In my forties I had a crisis of membership or participation in the Church and I stopped all involvement with it for about eight years. Although I’d left the Church I never sought to worship somewhere else because I knew that the Catholic Church was the One True Church and I wasn’t going to go to some other lesser substitute. My problem was with members of the Church, not with the Church herself.

I’ve been back in the Church for eleven years now and am content, confident that I am home, that I am Home. There will never be anything else for me.

The Eucharist.

Very little just now so I stay close simply to Jesus

I’m of Sephardic Jewish heritage but I am also Roman Catholic.

I’ve heard, read and even studied many of these “shocking” things some Protestants use in proselytizing efforts with Catholics. And you know what, as a Jew I can honestly say that some of these things are very true.

My ancestors lived in Spain, and even though I have had people in my lineage who were among the first Christians in Jerusalem and despite the fact that tradition holds that my family is of the house of David, many of my ancestors suffered horribly during the Spanish Inquisition. The persecution did not stop until some time in the 19th century. And yes, the persecutors were members of my own Church.

Recently at the 70-year mark of the end of WWII, I received formal apologies from Protestants across Europe lamenting the fact that they had chosen to do nothing while the Sephardic Jewish communities were emptied and families were sent in crowded boxcars to the death camps. The Sephardic communities across Europe were virtually wiped out, and I lost millions of relatives before the Shoah came to an end.

The first to discover and liberate the concentration camps at the end of the Holocaust were Soviet armies. Proudly proclaiming the virtues of communism and atheism by day, at night they raped the Jewish women in the camps even though they were frail and sick and starving. Most people are unaware of this facet of history.

The world is composed of different religious groups, churches, and even atheists. Claiming to have a religion or claiming you are enlightened because you don’t subscribe to religion means nothing. What one claims as a creed or how proudly one proclaims a lack of one doesn’t make a person morally good or morally bad.

It is not what one claims to believe, what they claim not to believe or what group they say they belong to. It is what one does that reveals what they truly believe.

You can’t blame your church, your lack of membership to one or anything in between for your bad deeds. If you do evil, it is not unfeeling, non-human creeds that do this. Evil gets performed by people, by living souls, and generally because people regularly fail to live up to the convictions they claim that elevates them from others.

Catholics have done horrible things, Protestants have done horrible things, atheists have done horrible things, and yes, my people the Jews, have done horrible things. What do they all have in common? People. The evil people do cannot be prevented by the principles we claim allegiance to. They are prevented not by claims but by dedicated action.

I don’t judge groups by merely their failures only. The failures get performed by people. So I don’t judge the Church on those who prove unfaithful to her teachings. I am not converted by such arguments about the Church or anybody because evil knows no religion or lack of one.

As for the Church being “unbiblical,” Judaism is also “unbiblical.” The religion of my people is not based on the Bible. On the contrary, the Bible is based on my religion. The truths of Judaism and Christianity are not limited to the pages of a book, even if it be an inspired book. The truths were in these religions first. The Bible is a product of these faiths, but not an exhaustive compendium of a religious tradition that reaches back millennia. You cannot limit the truths of a faith tradition that reaches thousands of years into the past to just one book, even if that book is the Bible. I’m a Jew. I oughta know.

Yep. Me, too . . .

The Magisterium.

I don’t mean to minimize the Bible, Christian Tradition, the direct work of the Holy Spirit blessing individuals, strengthening us, encouraging us, and sometimes correcting us. These are good things we share with all Christians. God does not “need” the Magisterium (or the Bible, or anything else).

But the Magisterium is unique. It guides the choice of the NT canon. It provides the general template of Christian tradition - orthodoxy - that Protestants more or less follow today, though mainstream denominations are moving away since the 1960s, still quoting the Bible all the way. Most Protestants have always been suspicious of groups like the JW’s that interpret the Bible wildly different from the Magisterium, even though the JWs quote the Bible all the time.

I admire groups like LCMS, or the Anglican Continuing Churches. Even though they don’t totally accept the Magisterium’s template, they seem to keep within a safe, observable distance. A ship at sea can see some things by its own lights, and the lights of other ships. But they don’t know where they, or the other ships, are, in relation to the harbor.

The Magisterium is like a fixed landmark, a lighthouse that is not floating. Some people (Catholics) want to go exactly there. Other Christians still use it, to chart their course no more than, say, 10 degrees west of it. The Continuing Anglicans stay very close to the path set by the landmark, the UCC and Mormons are very far away from it, and most Protestants somewhere in between.

So the Magisterium does not assure me I will live up to the Truth, or be a good witness of the Truth to others. I fall far short. But it tells me where the fullness of Truth is. So I trust it, and recommend it to others.

catholic.com/documents/pillar-of-fire-pillar-of-truth

Pillar of Fire Pillar of Truth helped me much. It shows that of all the denominations and other religions of the world, the Catholic Faith shows eminence and truth. This article also points out and shows that the the Catholic Church is one, holy, universal, and apostolic.

Also, these other denominations frequently lie about Catholic teachings, calling them superstition, or pagan worship. Catholic Answers has tons of resources to battle these things, including and especially atheism.

Here’s another good link:
catholic.com/browse/Church/all/all/all

A Lesser reason: Because what they say when saying such - is simply untrue.

1. It is not unbiblical. The Catholic Church is where the New Testament came from - and the final canon of the Old Testament. And the Church it immersed in the Bible.

2. The Church is involved in proclaiming the Gospel etc not a conspiracy. True life in Christ.

So those sorts of things are just set aside as being untrue…sort of like someone coming to you and telling you that your parents are really space aliens. (I say this not out of any disrespect those who are misinformed about the Church -but to make a kind of funny example.

Greater reason: Jesus Christ the Logos and Son of God. In him and thus in his Church is true life. The Church subsists in the Catholic Church - tis the same Church he founded way back in the first century.

BTW, the Church Fathers also help a lot, because they show that the early Church was Catholic. St Augustine from 354 to 430 said that we believe in the Bible, only because the authority of the Catholic Church commanded it.

More helpful links:p
catholic.com/browse/Papacy/all/all/all

catholic.com/video/why-be-catholic-apostolic-succession

catholic.com/video/were-the-early-church-fathers-misguided

catholic.com/video/when-was-the-word-catholic-first-used

catholic.com/blog/jon-sorensen/apologetics-with-st-irenaeus

Protestants ASSUME that biblical history started in AD1500 or so.

They just ignore the huge gap from AD 33 to AD1500. AS IF the thriving [and up and down] Catholic Church existed and served the needs of the people.

The more I learn about what these communities believe and how they come to their conclusions, the more certain I am about being Catholic. Protestantism is unbiblical and relativist.

Uh…do you know many Protestants?

It’s fine you read the arguments against the Catholic Church – but if you are fair you will read the counter-arguments as well. Most critiques of the Church as shallow, unfounded, or misunderstandings.

Nothing can survive for over 2,000 years without being able to answer all of the questions and criticisms that it has been attacked with by many people – most of them smarter or more dogged than either you or I.

The Truth keeps me Catholic. Keep searching! You’ll find it too, if you don’t give up.

I started out Protestant & looked into several non-Christian religions. After joining the Catholic church I’ve continued to read about many religions & haven’t found anything better.

Being able to receive the Body, Blood, Soul & Divinity of Our Lord in the Eucharist.

The Eucharist.

As Catholics, we have the Body, Blood Soul and Divinity on the altar made present through the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Protestants do not have this, and and as such there denominations are empty of the focus of our faith. Protestants are good people, they believe in Christ and try to follow his ways, but the sacramental presence of Christ is not present within their churches.

Christ formed one Church to follow his commandments. Christ did not create a wide range of denominations for us to choose from, depending on our own personal preferences and viewpoints.

Many years back because of a disagreement with a priest I, together with a friend of mine, visited some non-catholic churches. They had very inspiring sermons lively music, hand clapping, hallelujah shouting, etc. and it all seemed very appealing. (BTW we never stopped attending Mass, even though some of the homilies were boring and the music terrible) However, my friend and I noticed there was something lacking. Something was missing terribly. Then we finally realized the one thing that they didn’t have that ALL the Catholic Churches have. THE EUCHARIST!! It has been ingrained in me as a child that the bread and wine were no longer bread and wine after the consecration and that it actually became the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.

As far as I’m concerned, nothing, absolutely nothing can take me away from the Eucharist. Sure, the Holy Spirit may be in these churches, but we have God Himself PRESENT in the form the Bread and Wine.

If someone really understands and believes with all his heart that Jesus is truly present how can they in a right mind leave the CC!!

You go into a Catholic Church and you can feel the presence something truly awesome…You go to a Protestant Church and its like going into an auditorium, all blah.

You go into a Catholic Church like where I attend and you smell the incense, the reverence, the holiness.

So the presence of Jesus’ Body and Blood is what will keep me Catholic till the day I die.

I teach CCD and I really focus on the Eucharist and hope and pray that these teens will believe in their heart that what they receive during communion is Jesus Himself.

Unfortunately, many of these teens who are preparing for Confirmation have been poorly catechized and when I ask them what they received during communion its like :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.