What kind of angel was Satan first created as?

Was Satan first created as a Cherubim or a Seraphim?

Please provide sources.

Neither; from what I understand the once Great angel Lucifer was formerly an Archangel.

One of Three mentioned of the Old Testatment

Prophecy Of Ezechiel (Ezeckiel Chapter 28
drbo.org/chapter/31028.htm

I looked into the link. But I don’t see where it says that Satan was an Archangel.

Satan was the chief of the Seraphim - the highest angelic choir.

At the following link (catholic.org/saints/angels/angelchoir.php) I found a bit of commentary that was interesting:

Archangels are generally taken to mean “chief or leading angel” ( Jude 9; 1 Thes 4:16), they are the most frequently mentioned throughout the Bible. They may be of this or other hierarchies as St. Michael Archangel, who is a princely Seraph.

Satan was the chief of the Seraphim - the highest angelic choir.

At the following link (catholic.org/saints/angels/angelchoir.php) I found a bit of commentary that was interesting:

Archangels are generally taken to mean “chief or leading angel” ( Jude 9; 1 Thes 4:16), they are the most frequently mentioned throughout the Bible. They may be of this or other hierarchies as St. Michael Archangel, who is a princely Seraph.

Originally, Satan or Lucifer, was the highest-ranking angel of God. The terminology is variable. “God’s Viceroy”, etc. The Seraphic order is the order of angelic being closest to God, logically necessitating the position of Lucifer as (pre-fallen) Chieftain of the Seraph. But sometimes translations and understandings are mixed, and Satan-Lucifer is identified as Chieftain of the Cherubim in an identical sense of, “Archangel of archangels.”

Studying these matters should be no taboo. I read another poster here say “psychoanalysis of the Devil” is irrelevant or inducement to temptation. Not so. The study of Satan-Lucifer is a means of moral prophylaxis and theological purification, allowing us deeper insight into the theological mystery of “evil”, and how to understand the role of evil and how evil exists in the scheme of God. Without understanding both good and evil, we can only be half-Christians, honestly. Christianity does not mandate us to exist as medieval-like peasants, utterly gloom-ridden in mind and superstitious in theology.

Satan-Lucifer, tradition and Biblical texts affirm, was indeed ORIGINALLY the being closest in infinity of essence, to God Himself. I claim no special knowledge here, but we should not indulge in mendacity.

Tradition affirms Satan-Lucifer was dubbed by God the “Archangel of the Crown”, as Vice-regent of the Monarchic YHWH… Ezekiel 28 is key here, the symbolism of gemstones (see Fabricius): the light-bearing stone fragment of Lucifer’s diadem, as he fell and was cast into the earth by God, is the material from which the “primal teaching” (popularly, the “Grail”) the “Cave of Treasures” and other Enochian, “apocryphal” literature, refer to, esoterically… This subject is actually one of the most heavy-duty in the whole of Christian theology… Enochian “apocrypha” is referenced by the Epistle of Jude, we pretend, as a mere meaningless accident. PLEASE.

In angelology, the original name of Satan-Lucifer includes several possibilities:

~“CHERUBIEL”, “KERUBIEL” (3 Enoch, etc.)

~“SERAPHIEL”

~“KETHERIEL” = “Crown of God”

~“AKTRIEL”, “ACHTARIEL”, “YEHADRIEL”: “HAKATHRIEL”: ANGEL-PRINCE OF THE CROWN OF GOD’S JUDGMENT, “Angel of the Lord”…

Hakathriel enciphers CROWN (KETHER is Hebrew for CROWN) and if it means anything (I do not assert one way or the other), the numerical value of Hakathriel is…666.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.