What kind of Church do you go to?

Hi there,

I’m interested to see the different kind of Churches people attend. I used to go to a big co-cathedral when I was in elementary school. It was huge, and remined me of a Cathedral in Europe. They had a relic from St. Valarie in a beautiful reliquary, many statues, and very pretty stained glass. But now, I attend a Catholic Church located on a college campus, like a Catholic Student Center. It is kind of small, but we are a close-knit community. Everyone knows each other there, which is something I can’t say about the co-cathedral. We also have lots of faith activities.

One of my favorite little Churches is an extremely small wooden Church in this rural community. My aunt goes there, and I went with her once. The building was wood, it was pretty small, had no air conditioning (but lots of fans) and had the old-school Communion rails and all sorts of great statues. I really liked the feel of it.

What kind of Church do you go to?

-Jeanne

I go to a pretty large church that has about a 1500 parishioners. I like it larger that way i can just blend in and not draw attention to myself. The church itself is very beautiful inside, but the outside is kinda blah

My parish is a suburban parish of over 1000 families and probably 40-50 years old. Attractive on the outside and the inside is pretty. Stained glass windows that are a bit more modern than the older cathedral like churches. The alter (marble) is very pretty with back wall mosaic of crucifix. The front of the church is an extention that includes a lovely Adoration Chapel.

I loved my church that I attended as I was growing up…the statues and the everday reminders of what the Church is about. The stations of the cross were extremely beautiful and as we walked that path especially during Lent taught me so much as I was growing up. The church that I attend now is almost the exact replica of that church…I was so happy when I found it. When I moved away from my small hometown I was very homesick…so many years ago!!!..and God helped me by guiding me to a place that I felt safe. It is very traditional with marble alters and pulpits…the altar rail remains…the tabernacle is in the center of the church…it is beautiful. At this point it needs repair and we have a new priest who is bringing back people. God has blessed us!

In closing…I went back to my hometown church and it was so very depressing. It looks like a non-catholic church. The statues have been removed. The altar has been torn apart…half its size with what looks like a table rather than an altar. The diocese is extremely liberal with much conflict as to its direction.

My church is relatively new in age (5-6 years) and I’m also new there. It is an open circular floor plan which is beautiful and has clerestory windows that let in a great deal of light and allow one to see birds flying by which is lovely to me. However, there isn’t a single statue in the entire church. It took me 2 Sundays to find the tabernacle.The candle rack is against a bare wall so when I light a candle I have to imagine Mary there.

My church is a fairly typical Irish rural parish church. Built about 1850, granite and sandstone. Replaced a mud-walled thatched chapel. Quite plain inside but has the original Stations and some more recent statues. Some nice stained-glass windows but nothing too spectacular.

During the week, I attend Mass when I can at a Franciscan church near where I work. It was founded in the thirteenth century though the current building is mostly a late eighteenth-century reconstruction. Two of the walls are said to date to the fifteenth century. It’s very ornate, with a beautiful stucco ceiling and some very fine stained-class windows.

I attend Mass at 2 different Churches, due to my work schedule.

My primary Church, and the community I am participating in RCIA in is the main Archdiocse Cathedrial. Large, modern, huge open space, and a more contempory setting. I participate in Mass there on Saturday Vigil, and often on my days off(weekdays).

My 2nd Church is an old, almost European Cathedrial. There are beautiful sculptures, a reliquary, Relics of St. Jude, many Sisters, Brothers, and Fathers present. I attend the evening St. Jude Mass regularly during the week, and I love it.

I enjoy having both a part of my life, and in an interesting way, they each fulfill something individually different in my experience in Mass. :bible1:

The church I usually go to, and where I attend RCIA, is sort of medium sized, not small and not large. It’s nondescript on the outside, but inside it is beautiful. There are high plain windows that let in plenty of light, a statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and many, many statues of the Blessed Mother and various saints and angels, as well as several crucifixes around the sanctuary, and stations of the cross. The tabernacle is central and visible, with a large painted crucifix above it.

From the outside, the church I currently attend looks like every other adobe building in this desert city. I enter into a large courtyard, pass one room and enter what is listed as the multipurpose hall (MPH). There are pews set in the courtyard to handle the overflow during Masses. A stained glass picture of the Sacred Heart graces the front of this room, where the altar is set. The prayers and songs for the Mass are projected on the wall. The pews are slotted seats with attached kneelers. There is additional seating in the balcony.
Leaving the MPH, I circle the courtyard clockwise until I come to the Grotto, a replica of Lourdes. There is a small vestibule, an adoration chapel, attached to the Mother Church. Shoes are removed when entering this adoration chapel located near the front of the Mother Church. As I continue to circle the courtyard, I come to a hallway. From this hallway, I enter the Mother Church. The Mother Church is small like my parish church stateside. It is wood paneled and cozy. The pews are likewise a dark wood… It is 70 years old.
The walls surrounding the courtyard rise 3 stories and include the offices of the priests, the convent for the Apostolic Carmelite nuns, a small store, bookstore, and cafeteria. A tree grows in the middle of the courtyard near the parish office and thrift store.

Personally, I go to quite a few churches. Most of them are of moderate size. I only very rarely go to cathedral-sized churches. I actually prefer smaller churches, because it creates a more homely atmosphere; whereas bigger churches are nice and all, but you don’t really get a sense of community there. So, I guess what I’m trying to say is that I like churches that are of moderate size and traditional architecture.

My church is a small, simple building that was originally a neighborhood Baptist church. Inside the plain exterior is a beautiful sanctuary the traditional style, with a marble high altar and a communion rail. :thumbsup:

My church is a small very traditional church with communion rails, beautiful traditional statuary, a beautiful, huge crucifix, the tabernacle right behind the altar :), it's beautiful.

I love old fashioned churches. They just took the time to do beautiful, detailed work. You could see, especially in immigrant churches, that the people may have been poor, but where they put their money was in the church...making it beautiful.

Here in Williamsburg, there are very few choices. I go to St. Bede’s.

The church setting may not be traditional, but everything else is! The deacon who leads RCIA not only personally knows Dr. Scott Hanh, but also taught at the Franciscan University. He’s a great person, and our RCIA class is taught right out of the Catechism (a course he designed himself).

I have met many wonderful people there, and there is a very real communal feeling there. I am convinced that God will always lead us to the place where He wants us to be even though we may feel a bit out of place initially. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.