What kind of cooking show would you wanna watch?

Hey, I want some opinions here…

I wanna make some cooking videos to post on Youtube of myself cooking b/c I absolutely LOVE to cook…seriously, if I could make a living out of it, I would do it…food has become a big passion of mine. Anyway, what kind of show would you be most interested in watching if you had to watch a cooking show? I asked DH for some ideas and he came up with a “catholic cooking” show where recipes for holidays, feast days, weddings, baptisms, meals for large families, etc. Does this sound like a good idea???

Sounds like fun. Since so few people actually cook these days because everyone seems to be working, how about some foods that are quick to prepare and that have leftovers for later in the week. And since this is the time for cookouts, how about some snack foods, again quick to fix, that can be nibbled on while the gril is doing its thing?

That’s what I was kinda leaning towards…quick and easy b/c most people don’t have time to cook lengthy meals. I would like to share quick and easy recipes for families so they can actually sit down and eat dinner again together…seems like that is a dying tradition in america.

Yummy!:stuck_out_tongue: If you could a show like “Paula’s Home Cooking” on the Food Network with a catholic spin to it, I would watch it!

Good Luck and don’t forget to to post your link! :slight_smile:

I would love to make a show with a Catholic spin, but not quite sure how to do it yet…still brainstorming on that one!

And don’t worry, I will post the link! :thumbsup:

I would especially enjoy a Catholic, cajun style cooking show. The Cajun culture is so intertwined with and complimentary to the Catholic lifestyle. Reveillon dinners, Mardi Gras, tons of seafood. We even have a “holy trinity” of vegetables that goes in many recipes. If I remember right it’s onions, bell peppers, and celery.

My love is peasant dishes. I’m amazed how the “poor man’s food” of my childhood is now considered high cuisine.
Every culture has its peasant dishes. I’d be interested in exploring the variety of dishes that stretch a buck (or a cow or chicken) with wonderful, healthy, inexpensive ingredients.
mmmmmmmmmm - atsa nice!

DING DING DING! You win a cupie doll! :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously though, thank you all for the suggestions…and that’s a good point you have oneaugustknight…cajun cooking has catholicism intertwining b/c of the Catholic French that lived in the area…good point :thumbsup:

If I remember correctly, it was either this past Lent or the year before EWTN did a cooking show with Lenten ideas. Maybe you could interest them in a general Catholic cooking show?

I should pitch the idea to them…I think it would be a great thing to appeal to the Catholic population, like the stay-at-home moms, large family meal ideas, etc, etc.

John Folse is a locally known chef who has a TV program on Louisiana public broadcasting and a weekly cooking show on public radio here. Without being overtly Catholic, he peppers his radio show with Catholic references all the time - particularly during Lent. He just did a series for our PBS station which explored all of the cultures which contributed to Louisiana cuisine and, surprise, the vast majority of them were Catholic.

These kind of cook books are popular down here:

amazon.com/Whos-Your-Mama-Catholic-Make/dp/0925417556/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9345809-2324022?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185818445&sr=1-1

I would think that a Catholic cooking show based upon Italian cooking would be interesting as well.

remember seeing a program like this when I was young and struggling with food budget, helped me a lot, and both daughters have wished for something similar:
how to choose low cost cuts of meat, cook and cut up for several meals, how to prepare, cook, cut up, freeze, serve, what foods they go with, saving time and money.

for instance how to get 4 meals for 4 out of a whole chicken, out of a chuck or round roast, out of a picnic ham, etc.

also how to make stocks, soups and breads, had a cookbook called “soup and bread book” or simillar that I used all the time, gave it away, but the habit of always having stock on hand makes me a better cook than I would be normally. It also had a lot of “desperation” recipes, so I can usually come up with a tasty, nutritious meal out of anything on hand in the pantry or freezer, at low cost. I think today a show like this would be a hit.

I also think the Catholic ethnic cooking show would be hit. our diocesan newspaper used to have such a feature, Italian recipes around St. Joseph day, pre-Ash Wed recipes, lenten of course, ethnic Christmas, wedding or other special day recipes.

This kind:

leomcwatkins.com/grace.html

Now that’s my kind of priest, lol! :thumbsup:

My first thought when I saw this thread was: Cooking with Marshmallow Peeps.

Obviously that won’t be popular with a large audience and many people will actually barf and your show would go off the air in two weeks.

Seriously, I know nothing about cooking fish or any kind of seafood other than frozen fish sticks and cans (or envelopes) of tuna. My mother never bought any kind of seafood when I was little, so it is a mystery to me. I love going to Red Lobster or other restaurants and ordering various seafood entrees, but I wish I could make them at home for a fraction of the cost of the restaurant.

I would love to see a “Seafood Basics” show that demonstrated buying, preparing, cooking, and serving various kinds of seafood.

Hmmmm, well, if i did a catholic-type cooking show, I could do a lot of seafood for the whole meat abstinence thing on fridays…would be a good idea :thumbsup:

I have actually thought about this before. I’m single, live alone, and I’m back in school (again…). Like many others in similar postions, time and money are always issues in cooking. I loathe having to go to the grocery store, and do not have half the ingrediants that most recipes call for. I would like a cooking show that uses the stuff that most normal people keep in the house already. Also being able to take leftovers, and create something new:D I don’t care to eat the same thing 3 nights in a row (and with cooking for one, that sometimes happens).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.