What Kind of Mass is this?

I hate to start a new thread but I haven't gotten a response yet in the other thread: I'm away from home and my usual parish and have been attending a Mass that is said in the local language but the Gloria,Sanctus and Agnus Dei are said in Latin (Missa de Angelis/Missa VIII which is BEAUTIFUL!) and the Kyrie is sung as well (Missa VIII). Is there a name for this kind of Mass? Is this a Gregorian Mass? Can I find this kind of "hybrid" mass in the US?

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

Disclaimer:Pardon my ignorance as I am a new Catholic and learning everyday.:o

It sounds like a normal, Ordinary Form Mass, with the responses sung in Latin & Greek. It's what should be the norm in all parishes, if we followed the vision of Pope Paul VI. He sent every diocese a copy of Jubilate Deo, to get all parishes to learn simple settings of the Latin and Greek responses to the Mass. Unfortunately, few parishes responded to his request.

Yes, there are Masses like that in the US. As Phemie said, it is the ideal way to celebrate to OF. When you get home describe the Mass to your priest and ask if he celebrates Mass this way. Even if it doen't happen every Sunday, it may be that way on Holy Days or other occasions.

[quote="SeekNFind, post:1, topic:294498"]
I hate to start a new thread but I haven't gotten a response yet in the other thread: I'm away from home and my usual parish and have been attending a Mass that is said in the local language but the Gloria,Sanctus and Agnus Dei are said in Latin (Missa de Angelis/Missa VIII which is BEAUTIFUL!) and the Kyrie is sung as well (Missa VIII). Is there a name for this kind of Mass? Is this a Gregorian Mass? Can I find this kind of "hybrid" mass in the US?

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

Disclaimer:Pardon my ignorance as I am a new Catholic and learning everyday.:o

[/quote]

It's called the Ordinary Form Mass. It's the Mass being said according to the Missal including the directives from the Vatican II documents that Latin be retained.

It's called a beautiful Mass:D my church does this and I LOVE it. Except now they changed it to all English mass with no Latin so we're going to Latin mass instead. :/

Thank you for your replies! It is indeed beautiful! Makes me sad that I'll leave it soon :(

I've attended a few Latin Masses but I read something a few days ago that made me realize that the congregation isn't supposed to participate in the mass like we do in the ordinary form. We should be in contemplative prayer. I was approaching it all wrong, trying to keep up with the responses, etc which is why I wasn't getting it. That being said, I do like participating in the Mass and saying the responses. . .especially in Latin and Greek :D

I should point out that in this parish, this is only done at one service on Sunday. The rest of the services are fully in the local language.

[quote="SeekNFind, post:6, topic:294498"]
Thank you for your replies! It is indeed beautiful! Makes me sad that I'll leave it soon :(

I've attended a few Latin Masses but I read something a few days ago that made me realize that the congregation isn't supposed to participate in the mass like we do in the ordinary form. We should be in contemplative prayer. I was approaching it all wrong, trying to keep up with the responses, etc which is why I wasn't getting it. That being said, I do like participating in the Mass and saying the responses. . .especially in Latin and Greek :D

[/quote]

When you attend the Extraordinary Form of Mass sometimes you are expected to say the responses. Before Vatican II and the Ordinary Form there existed a dialog Mass. My parish never celebrated that way but many parishes did - the people in the pew responded, just as they do now, only they did it in Latin and Greek. So it all depends on which type of Extraordinary Form Mass you're attending. Some are almost totally silent with low prayers from the priest and responses only from the altar server, others are dialog between the priest and the congregation.

[quote="Phemie, post:8, topic:294498"]
When you attend the Extraordinary Form of Mass sometimes you are expected to say the responses. Before Vatican II and the Ordinary Form there existed a dialog Mass. My parish never celebrated that way but many parishes did - the people in the pew responded, just as they do now, only they did it in Latin and Greek. So it all depends on which type of Extraordinary Form Mass you're attending. Some are almost totally silent with low prayers from the priest and responses only from the altar server, others are dialog between the priest and the congregation.

[/quote]

Oh goodness, I can't keep it all straight in my head lol. Thanks for further clarification.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.