What Kind of Music do Catholics Listen to?

I'm sure there are threads about this in existence but I'm curious. Mainly I'm hoping there are some out there that rock out.

Secretly, I'm a Dethklok fan... :harp:

*“Do you folks like coffee?” :thumbsup:

*I’m very partial to Metal music in particular, myself. Aside from Classical or Medieval, I listen most to Metal, giving Christian Black/Death and Iron Maiden most of my listening time.

I listen to all kinds of music but mostly punk rock.

tori amos, metallica, johnny cash…mostly talk radio though like rush, glenn beck, and hannity:D

I was listening to a CD by Peter Kreeft who said several people over the years have informed that they knew there was a God because of the music of BACH. Not having listened to much classical, I bought two CD's and have almost worn them out. Truly, give it a listen, it surprised me, pleasantly.

some dance, movie soundtracks and hip hop beats also with no lyrics

:smiley:

I think you’ll find fans of many different genres. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more classical fans among Catholics than you’d find as a percentage of general society, because it’s part of our heritage.

I'm a big Led Zeppelin fan. A guilty pleasure, I know. :o

I also like Wagner and Gregorian Chant.

I think, on the whole, Catholics probably listen to any kind of music that the larger society listens to in probaby about the same proportion as the general populace. Whether or not it should be that way is another question, but I think that’s how it is.

If you’re talking only about orthodox, believing, committed, practicing Catholics, then perhaps the percentages shift away from the norm. I would say that, of that group, there are probably more who listen to classical and/or CCM than the larger population.

This particular Catholic listens pretty much exclusively to heavy metal. Mostly, I listen to progressive and/or power metal of a number of varieties. I tend to enjoy the most those metal bands with symphonic/orchestral elements (Kamelot, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody of Fire, Savatage, Symphony X, Theocracy, etc.). 95% of my music collection is probably familiar to maybe one tenth of 1% of the population (if I’m being very generous). :o If you’ve never heard of Dream Theater, there’s little chance you’ve heard of any of my other favorite bands.

Pretty much anything really. (Except rap). I lean toward classic rock, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Kansas etc., but enjoy modern stuff too. My iPod mix can confuse anyone who doesn’t know me, as if I turn on shuffle all songs, I can go from Ozzie to John Denver, to well, you get the idea, LOL.

I listen to a wide range of music, classical, rock, metal, opera. Only kinds of music I do not like are rap, country, and sorry to say it, Christian. Unless it's Gregorian chant (which i LOVE), I will not listen to it. Does nothing for me spiritually.
I am a bit of a metal head. I love Gun's n' Roses and Rammstein.
My favorite band though is U2, their brilliant.

Practically everything, with the exclusion of rap & dreary classical pieces with cellos whining.
Probably like bluegrass the best.

Have to agree with the opposition to rap; I find it obnoxious at best.

And here's one for all the Helloween fans out there:

youtube.com/watch?v=MfiRKgakNsQ

:highprayer:

:doh2: How could I forget to mention Helloween!? Don’t let the name fool you! (I’ve always placed the emphasis on the “Hello” ;)) Their song “Revelation” has the most awesome guitar riff ever conceived by mortal man, not to mention the fact that the lyrics are surprisingly Christian in tone. :slight_smile:

Phish
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
They Might Be Giants
Cake

Psychedelic music
Funk
Reggae
Jazz (Big-Band, mostly)

I pretty much listen to stoner music, but I've never touched an illegal drug in my life, if you can believe it!

Peace,
Dante

[quote="child_of_God85, post:12, topic:181971"]

I am a bit of a metal head. I love Gun's n' Roses and Rammstein.

[/quote]

OOoh... Rammstein huh? I enjoy them too, although only in an English speaking context. And by that I mean, it's great until you know what they are actually SAYING in German. I prefer Oomph! to Rammstein though

I listen to progressive and/or power metal of a number of varieties. I tend to enjoy the most those metal bands with symphonic/orchestral elements (Kamelot, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody of Fire, Savatage, Symphony X, Theocracy, etc.). 95% of my music collection is probably familiar to maybe one tenth of 1% of the population (if I'm being very generous). If you've never heard of Dream Theater, there's little chance you've heard of any of my other favorite bands.

I'm right with you there! Only my favorite is Sonata Arctica. They are actually coming to Oklahoma this year! I can't wait :)

Indeed. The entire Better than Raw album is overwhelmingly and obviously Christian in its tone. It’s great to hear bands with an appreciable musical discipline putting out Christian music; nothing is more grating than a Christian band that focuses on its lyrical content to and only does a mediocre job with its instruments. That sabotages everything, I think.

And yes, one has to have a sense of humor to understand Helloween. Even their name is an obvious pun on Halloween (a silly childrens’ holiday that too many adults take way too seriously) and their album art has always had a humorous edge, especially with their cute little jack o’ lantern mascots :slight_smile:

I can’t believe I left Sonata Arctica off my list! :eek: I’m a latecomer to their stuff having only started listening post-Unia, but they are quite remarkable. I just picked up “Days of Grays” and have been listening to that for the past two weeks. Great stuff. Good to hear that they’re coming to the U.S. this year!

Right on. Better Than Raw is such a great album. “Deliberately Limited Preliminary Prelude Period in Z” is probably my favorite classicaly-inspired instrumental opener to a metal album (and there are a lot of them, hence the somewhat satiric song title). Any band with album titles like “Pink Bubbles Go Ape” and “Rabbit Don’t Come Easy” obviously has a humorous side. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.