What kind of music do you guys listen to?

As you can tell, I’m a Protestant. I grew up with the CCM phenomenon- stuff like DC Talk, Newsboys, Jars of Clay, Audio A, etc. I know it was pretty big among Protestants. I don’t know if it missed the Catholics or not. How did that go over with you guys?

Now there’s a lot more going on with worship music- Hillsong, Matt Redman, David Crowder Band, Shaun Groves, etc. Any of you into that kind of stuff, or do you try to avoid it?

Then, of course, there’s always the discussion on whether or not it’s cool to even listen to secular music in the first place. Some people want to avoid it entirely. Others treat it like alcohol and say you can use it responsibly, but be careful with it. (Though I suppose some people avoid alcohol entirely, too. My parents being two such people…Oddly enough, I don’t know any others). Anyway, if applicable, what kinds of secular music do you enjoy?

Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish … you get the point. Truthfully I don’t mind any music; my tastes tend to fluctuate, but I can’t stand R’n’B. At the moment I’m into Lady GaGa,

sigh. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for Christian bands, the only one I’ve listened to would be Firefly, which are alright but sound a bit derivative.

These are links to some of my favorites.

youtube.com/watch?v=sW33Af4k3H0
youtube.com/watch?v=CRMyAPW0bDg
youtube.com/watch?v=v-GEux8FE-M
youtube.com/watch?v=FsgwfliQoqg
youtube.com/watch?v=UIJJxisiK3s
youtube.com/watch?v=dW9OZJpLYr8
youtube.com/watch?v=DL544f8FmNA
youtube.com/watch?v=vdq9Q8wJdjc
youtube.com/watch?v=O5_Z3ZZYLDc

From the worship music end of it, anyway.

I listen to hill song! It’s the first time any one has mentioned it on this site! Then again, I guess it’s because hill song is usually played at christian places like Soul Survivor (not catholic). Does any one know about that? I love hill song. It’s big over here at church!

I listen to a variety of types of music. I am particularly fond of acoustic guitar, bluegrass, and world world music. Among my favorite musical acts are David Crowder Band, Third Day, Michael Card, Reik, Bob Marley, Tom Petty, Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens), Debu, Eagles, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, etc. There is not a problem, in my opinion, with listening to music, secular or explicitly religious. There are genres of music and specific acts that, I feel, are detriment to me, spiritually. These genres and acts, I avoid. I would advise to know oneself and be aware of your state spiritually.
As regards the issue of CCM, I find that some songs are explictly anti-Catholic, but very few. For the most part, they are generically Christian. My problem with most CCM is that it is a poor imitation of secular music. This is one reason I like David Crowder. He is willing to take some chances for quality art. To see what I am talking about, listen to his album “A Collision”.

I like just about everything. No rap.

:stuck_out_tongue:

ummm…what I have listed on Facebook lol…

Natalie Grant, WITHIN TEMPTATION, Nichole Nordeman, SECONDHAND SERENADE, tobyMac, Group1Crew, Aaron Shust, LIFEHOUSE, Hawk Nelson, MARK SCHULTZ, MercyMe, Cristian Castro, CASTING CROWNS…etc…

The all-caps are my favorites. Generally, I tend to like songs, rather than naming bands. Oddly enough, my favorite song of all is not by any of those listed above. “If Everyone Cared” by Nickelback. I also have a weakness for love songs. :o

My favorite artists are Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Modest Mouse, Jeff Buckley, Neutral Milk Hotel, DJ Shadow, Why?, and The Smiths. Lately, I’ve been into a lot of electronic like Daft Punk, Mstrkrft, Cut Copy, and The Avalanches.

I love almost all genres of music, with a special nod towards rock and power metal. I listen pretty much primarily to the local Christian radio stations when I’m driving, and I absolutely love Brandon Heath and Casting Crowns, among many others.

Of course, there’s going to be a lot of good and a lot of junk in every type of music, and that definitely includes CCM. I think it’s a shame there aren’t more outspoken Catholic artists putting contemporary albums out, but for the most part there isn’t any real “anti-catholic” music out there. Even when you do come across the occasional song that mentions theological concepts that contradict Church teachings, it’s usually not supposed to be a mean-spirited ribbing of Catholic Dogma, but rather a passionate Protestant ministering to people the best way they know how. Nothing wrong with that!

But yeah, I’m a pretty avid believer in the “take the best, leave the rest” concept. And anyways, good music is good music.

Among others:
[LIST]
*]Some “worship music”
*]G.F. Handel (mainly his sacred oratorios) - youtube.com/watch?v=X5jRA6mC4qs
*]And this: youtube.com/watch?v=qhoL4Mdvogo
*]some J.S. Bach
*]the occasional Dolly Parton video: youtube.com/watch?v=E5qcXfVE7gI
*]the occasional Alan Jackson video: youtube.com/watch?v=wpfsZZ9X5n8&feature=related
*]“Wind Beneath My Wings” (preferably Bette Midler) - this version: youtube.com/watch?v=hDURv8fj9dk
*]On a lighter note: youtube.com/watch?v=HAaxeqikUlE&feature=related
*]Assorted hymns: Charles Wesley, Fanny Crosby for example (but not just them)
*]Assorted charismatic/“happy-clappy” choruses
*]Some national anthems: especially Communist ones - the Estonian one is lovely :slight_smile:
*]Bagpipes; fiddle music; accordion; drums
*]This is fun: youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA
*]“The Red Flag”
*]This: youtube.com/watch?v=LtU3vUOa2sw :o
*]This: zalandria.wordpress.com/greatest-music-video/
*]Various RC & Anglican settings of the Eucharistic texts & the Te Deum
*]Some of these: youtube.com/watch?v=EyHyq48PhEg
*]“Selah” has some good stuff: youtube.com/watch?v=H2sZuJbxi8Y&feature=related
*]“Second Chapter of Acts” has this setting of “Be Still My Soul”: youtube.com/watch?v=JIY2SByd-p8
*]This is superbly sung; just ignore the pics :slight_smile: - youtube.com/watch?v=q1ukK395d0Q
*]A very gifted organist here: youtube.com/watch?v=juUb7HnWryo&feature=related
*]The late Kathleen Ferrier: youtube.com/watch?v=O7h_LuVVoyg
*]And him: youtube.com/watch?v=j_XXiilWAXA
*]And them: youtube.com/watch?v=GApMd5gnFA4&feature
*]Howard Shore’s score for TLOTR
*]Danny Elfman: various
[/LIST]That kind of thing.

“Jars of Clay” is a group I don’t know though.

Handel is God, AFA I am concerned :slight_smile: If he was not inspired, what was he ? No-one could write like that & not be.

BTW: is it just me, or do parts of “Wind Beneath My Wings” sound like parts of “You Raise Me Up” ? I can’t decide.

About the same over here. I do have kind of a soft spot for sentimental love songs, though. There’s a few by Rascal Flatts that I really like.
youtube.com/watch?v=9kZOfgIJ_1I
youtube.com/watch?v=HyMg_YmMMFI&feature=PlayList&p=F7273D97D4A3AF8A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=30

Of course, there’s going to be a lot of good and a lot of junk in every type of music, and that definitely includes CCM.

Yea, some friends and I refer to it as the “Finesse” side of CCM. You know, the kinds of songs where you could replace God’s name with that of a random girl and it would sound no different from a regular love song. It does seem like there’s quite a few artists who can’t make it in the mainstream, so they repackage their material for a Christian audience. But hey, what can you do? It’s kind of a hassle to be more selective, but it’s all you really can do.

I think it’s a shame there aren’t more outspoken Catholic artists putting contemporary albums out

I’m a Protestant, so…yea. It doesn’t affect me directly like it does you, but I was kind of curious about that. I was thinking about all the Christian artists, and it kind of hit me that they almost all seemed like they were Protestant and I couldn’t name any Catholic ones. So I wondered if they were out there but I didn’t know about it…I’ve been to quite a few Christian concerts, too, so I wondered if the people attending were mostly Protestant or what.

but for the most part there isn’t any real “anti-catholic” music out there. Even when you do come across the occasional song that mentions theological concepts that contradict Church teachings, it’s usually not supposed to be a mean-spirited ribbing of Catholic Dogma, but rather a passionate Protestant ministering to people the best way they know how. Nothing wrong with that!

I think for most CCM artists (and this may be wrong, but it’s my current impression), they are generally pretty sensitive to audience feedback. They know they’re catering to a wide Christian audience that’s pretty diverse, so whether it’s really about avoiding offense to someone or just avoiding whatever backlash that might occur, most artists tend to have that in mind as they write their lyrics. I have noticed, though, that Christian rap groups (like Cross Movement and LeCrae, for example) tend to have more stuff that’s specific to their particular niche within Christianity. That’s probably because their audience is a bit more homogeneous.

But yeah, I’m a pretty avid believer in the “take the best, leave the rest” concept. And anyways, good music is good music.

I agree. Very much so. It’s good to hear from someone who’s pretty laid back and just enjoys whatever’s worth enjoying. There’s plenty of worship songs and CCM material that’s not worth listening to, but that’s OK. There’s quite enough that is worth listening to, and I like it.

Well, Bruce Springsteen was my original introduction to Rock music (my dad is a huge fan, as am I). I’ve been to three of his concerts. Amazing.

But my favorite band has got to be U2. They’re basically a genre of their own; no one else sounds like them. Their last album was just ok, but I have higher hopes for their next album, which will come out in about a year, if the rumors are anything to go by.

I also listen to: The Rolling Stones, Coldplay, Weezer, Gaslight Anthem, All-American Rejects, and The Beatles.

I’m very picky about my music. All of Country and Rap, as well as most mainstream Rock music doesn’t appeal to me at all on any level whatsoever.

I think you’ll find that Catholic opinions run the gamut in regards to musical tastes. Some of us listen exclusively to CCM. Some listen to secular music. Some listen to metal. Some think rock music is “of the devil”. Some listen to Classical. Some listen to Gregorian chant. And everything in between. I know that Jars of Clay’s “40 Days” was all the rage at my Catholic high school, back in the day. :wink:

Myself, I prefer heavy metal. I don’t really listen to the “mainstream” stuff, but the more obscure power/prog metal. There are even some great Christian metal bands out there (Theocracy, Saviour Machine, Divinefire). I tend to stay away from anything with severely blasphemous lyrcis, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=7g564a8QaIg

youtube.com/watch?v=Ot_9d1QVOO0

youtube.com/watch?v=JA9oZlUz3nM&feature=PlayList&p=2CDE35142A7AABA0&index=1

youtube.com/watch?v=XvYTY30x3Lo&feature=related

gotta love that Texas polka

and quite possibly the best song ever, St. Arnold Polka:
youtube.com/watch?v=ow2x6qsrU-4

I’ve been listening to a lot of opera, lately. Mozart, Puccini, Donizetti, Verdi, that kind of thing.

As far as overtly religious music, give me Eastern Orthodox liturgical choral music.

I used to be into CCM exclusively, but I kind of got burnt out on it. I still enjoy JoC, Smalltown Poets, Audio Adrenaline and various other bands. My tastes cover a ton of genres: Crowded House, Classical (Tchaikovsky, Rodrigo, De Falla, Satie, Mozart and the like), Autechre, David Gray, Colbie Caillat, Richard Devine, Phoenecia, Natalie MacMaster, Leahy, Catriona MacDonald, Blur, Jake Mandell, U2, Coldplay, Mute Math, The Finn Bros. and many more. I love music.

My awkward musical tastes are pretty much summed up in this equally awkward vid. :o:blush:

In fact, I don’t even care anymore about the morality of the music I listen too, I’m worried enough about whether or not you guys would even call this stuff music. >_<;;;

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.