What kind of recreation can a priest do?

I feel called to the priesthood. I believe it’s the Will of God. But being a person who loves God’s creation of nature, what kind of recreation can a priest do. I won’t let this get in the way of God, but I’m just wondering. Thanks and God bless.

PRAY FOR ME PLEASE

Priests can do just about anything they want for recreation.
I know a couple who are pilots, one who is a mountain climber, one who is a wood-worker, and one who has a beautiful country house where he gardens (flowers and fruits & veggies), dabbles in the arts, hosts "retreats & days of reflection and entertains family & friends with gourmet meals.

A secular priest's hobbies will only be restricted by his budget, where a priest who has taken a vow of poverty(an "order priest"- Jesuit, Dominican, etc), will have to, more than likely, give up "earthly pursuits".

Like oneofthewomen said just about anything they want. I will certainly pray for you.

Please be sure to invite me to one of your crawfish boils. :D

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I second this! There is nothing about being a priest which makes it inherently wrong to take up any particular kind of recreation.

I know of priests who go hunting, golfing, fishing, jogging, stargazing with a telescope, play video games, ride racing bikes, and read.

Remember, priests are people too. Their hobbies and interests are no different than any one else's.

Your prayers are given. :wink:

My priest is quite an equestrian. I see no reason why you can’t be, either.

I go cruising on the Princess Lines, and at Easter and Christmas there is a Priest on board, for the Catholics and he also does a service for all denominations. I am sure he gets his cruise for free, providing Mass every day for the passengers.

Well, expensive earthly pursuits at any rate. Franciscan Fr Stan Fortuna is a rap musician - then again, music is free :slight_smile:

When I was a boy, over 60 years ago in Miami, Fla. My parents home was open 24/7 to the priests of our parish. It was their home away from the rectory. Very often I would come home from school to find Father so-and-so sitting in the back yard in a beach chair, reading the daily newspaper and sipping a beer. At the same time Father ABC would be in the kitchen raiding the fridge. My mother, in the meantime would be doing household chores.
These priests were just a part of the family. As for recreation, I distinctly remember the monthly inter-parish clerical poker game was played on our dining room table!
And to think that all of this took place pre Vatican II.

Huh? Whatever they want!

They can (and do) do anything that any faithful single or married Catholic does. With the exception of marital intimacy and such, but that’s hardly recreation. Anyway, like I said, pretty much everything!

You are not doing it right. (Sorry, couldn’t resist).

Oooops, hunting may be out. I just saw this in another thread. It was a response she received from a Priest regarding a question she had regarding the morality of hunting.

"there is no official church teaching to the topic of hunting.
BUT! Since the Council of Lateran in 1215 there is a church law that says that priests are not allowed to hunt!"

Musician, rap singer, surfing, lifting weights, painting, cooking, deep sea diving -- I've known priests who do all of this. I tend to think selling drugs would be off the table....

Really? If so I’ve got an Uncle that’s in a lot of trouble. :wink:

But honestly, I’m curious, is this law in the latest Code of Canon Law? If it isn’t then it is no longer a rule as the latest code of canon law abrogated all previous ones.

Fr. Corapi (back before his troubles) used to hunt big game in Alaska every year. He never hid that from anyone and even posted pictures on his old blog, so I assume priests can hunt.

[quote="maltmom, post:3, topic:307271"]
Like oneofthewomen said just about anything they want. I will certainly pray for you.

Please be sure to invite me to one of your crawfish boils. :D

[/quote]

Sure thing. Come for our Easter celebration. That's when we boil 'em extra good.

[quote="thewanderer, post:14, topic:307271"]
Really? If so I've got an Uncle that's in a lot of trouble. ;)

But honestly, I'm curious, is this law in the latest Code of Canon Law? If it isn't then it is no longer a rule as the latest code of canon law abrogated all previous ones.

[/quote]

I don't know, I'm curious as well. This was posted in the War with Squirrels thread.

[quote="Bayoubeefmaster, post:16, topic:307271"]
Sure thing. Come for our Easter celebration. That's when we boil 'em extra good.

[/quote]

Thanks. That is when they are at their best. When I moved from N.O. to NE LA 10 years ago I found a place that boils them like my Dad did. There is also a place here that thinks you boil them without any seasoning and then cover them in seasoning powder. :eek: I'm sure my Dad rolls over in his grave every crawfish season b/c of it.

My forum name should be Displaced Cajun Woman. :D

I’ve also discerned about being a priest before for the Catholic faith but it did kind of intrigue me as well seeing all my local priests at church. I mean, it seemed like they were always at church. I once asked a priest to hear my confession at a random time during the week. He apologized for his rush and lateness as he had to fit me into a very busy schedule. As soon as I finished he rushed out and apologized again. Said he’s been busy all day with blessing the sick, performing confessions for the deathbed patients, organizing some stuff for the church and so on. Although, I doubt it’s like that everyday. I see them outside after mass having a casual smoke talking to friends etc. Can’t imagine they’re inside praying constantly when not in mass, but you’d assume the life of a priest is such not to be too tempted by earthly pursuits. That’s why it is a huge sacrifice and the highest calling. It’s not really supposed to be ‘easy’ the way we see it.

For a start, my local priests don’t really earn any money. They live at the church grounds and get made dinner by the local nuns or anyone else willing to volunteer. Everything is financially supported by donations and the parish etc. I’m not sure, but it seems unlikely that they can just go out and buy something randomly. Their purchases and holidays usually seem like planned transactions.

But hey, I’m not sure, I’ve never really asked, just kind of observed. I assume they do whatever else they really want, but as said I’d imagine part of the job is to really learn to devote your life fully to Christ everyday with hobbies and recreational probably being a tad less common than that of the ordinary working man.

Domiy really said a lot of wise words.

Priests certainly are busy so I think recreation really just depends on the individual assignment.

Check out this:

gracebeforemeals.com/

And some priests like to dance and rap!
youtube.com/watch?v=S9uCkEiK_0A

I think no matter the assignment, there's always room to pursue a small passion (singing, dancing, running/fitness and so on..).

chÃ*o anh em, chúc anh em luôn vui v?, like it hì bên mình lÃ*m ?nh cu?i di kèm d?ch v? ch?p ?nh cu?i theo yêu c?u anh em UH mình nhé thanks

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.