What kind of wafer was used?

Last night I attended Mass at a parish I haven’t visited for a while. For Holy Communion, they used a wafer that I did not recognize. It was not all white, but rather had these light brown spots all over it. It also tasted different.

I know that’s a vague description but I was wondering if anyone knows what I’m talking about. I am concerned about validity.

It was probably whole wheat vs. bleached wheat flour. Most likely not a big deal.

Either one is fine.

Yes, whole wheat is perfectly fine, as long as no other ingredients (sugar, honey, etc.) were added in the making.

Did the hosts look something like this? If so, you just had whole wheat bread, which is commonly used and liturgically appropriate.

For those reading this thread wondering why this matters, note that for valid consecration the hosts must:

* made of wheaten flour,
* mixed with pure natural water,
* baked in an oven, or between two heated iron moulds, and
* they must not be corrupted 

(Per the Catholic Encyclopedia)

For those looking for the original Church document, see “De Defectibus, no. 3”

Peace!

Matt

“Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you.” 1 Peter 3:15

That’s them! Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.