What kinds of games do you play as a family?

*I was curious if you ever **create **silly games to play with your family? My dd, dh and I have two games we play, my son sometimes chimes in. The first game is ‘‘what movies would you take with you, if you lived on a deserted island?’’ This is such a fun game, and can be done really with all ages!

The other one we play is when we are waiting at a restaurant, or in the car…driving for a while…we will name a line from a movie or show, and someone has to guess the movie/show name, if that person guesses it, it’s their turn.

I’ve played these games with them for a few years now…and as they mature, it’s interesting the movies they’d have on ‘‘their islands,’’ and how their tastes have evolved. :o It was cute, I picked up Home Alone 2 today at Borders, and my dd said…’‘This movie would totally be on my island!’’ (she adores this movie :hypno:)

So…what are your family’s games that you play together (non board games, your own creations) :slight_smile: Feel free to name ones you played with your own parents growing up, if you like. *

Well, my DS is really big on peek-a-boo! :stuck_out_tongue:
DH and I play 20 questions in the car when we get bored. I actually have grown fond of long car rides with DH (as long as my little one isn’t crying!) because we get a chance to just talk and spend time together.
My sister and I play a game where the goal is to spell a word but not be the one to finish the word. Each person takes turns saying a letter until someone has to end the word. But you can’t just randomly add letters- you have to have a word in mind when adding a letter.
EX) I say B
sister says A
I say I
She has to end with T or L unless she can think of a word that goes BAI something else to force me to end the word.

*How does 20 questions go again? :blush: I don’t remember how to play. lol The second game sounds fun…my dd would enjoy that. So, in the second game…how do you win or lose? :confused:

We also play come to think of it, a game on really long car trips, where each person has to call out a letter as they see it out of the car…like maybe you see ‘a’ on a license plate in front of you…then the next person yells out a ‘b’ if they see it on a sign or something. If you’re on a long stretch of road…you might not be calling out letters for a while. :p*

Sometimes we’ll just pick a word from the conversation and start to rhyme, if we can think up a rhyme in time. It can be quite sublime, but hard to play if you’re a mime or busy sucking on a lime (you get the idea). We have a lot of fun trying to think up as many words as possible and find sentences to make them fit in with the topic. DH and I do this, as the girls are still too young (but almost there! 3 1/2, and I’ve heard a few rhymes from them!).

From the grandparents comes saying, “purple purple purple HEY!” It doesn’t mean anything, but when one of our girls was little, purple was her favorite color and he threw the “hey!” on the end to make her laugh - it worked, and it stuck. So now anyone can get a guaranteed laugh by calling it out at random.

From the cousins: Someone starts saying, “You’re silly! You’re silly! You’re silly!” and the person being teased says (in a deep, overly serious voice), “I’m never silly!” Repeat and switch roles as desired. Very entertaining for 3-year-olds. It’s really cute when the girls try to talk in deep voices.

Oh - and how could I forget “I Like Elephants”! It’s based off of the YouTube video linked here. Basically, we just make up new lyrics to this song, based off of a theme - geography (mountains, lakes, rivers), animals (like the song), family members, types of weather . . . and then everyone but the singer tries to guess what they are really singing about. The girls have actually tried to play this on their own - which I thought was pretty impressive for 3-year-olds. E.g.: “Ra-ain, I like ra-ain. I like the way it floats, soft and white, and feels really cold, and we make snowmen with it. . .” Here the listeners interrupt and say, “No, silly! That’s snow!” “Oh, right! Sno-ow, I like sno-ow . . . I like the way it looks like a cloud, except on the ground, and we can’t see anything . . .” “No, that’s fog!” “Oh . . . fo-og, I like fo-og . . .” etc.

One game that my friends and I play on car trips or just hanging around (not so much my family) is where you name a movie the next person must name an actor/actress in it, the following person will then have to name a movie the actor/actress named is in and so forth (without repeating anything previously say) until someone get stuck. For example: Godfather --> Al Pacino --> A Scent of a woman --> Chris O’Donnell --> Batman and Robin --> George Clooney. Etc.

Once you get ‘stumped’ three times you are eliminated and the play continues until there is only one person left.

[quote="Jay82, post:5, topic:177434"]
One game that my friends and I play on car trips or just hanging around (not so much my family) is where you name a movie the next person must name an actor/actress in it, the following person will then have to name a movie the actor/actress named is in and so forth (without repeating anything previously say) until someone get stuck. For example: Godfather --> Al Pacino --> A Scent of a woman --> Chris O'Donnell --> Batman and Robin --> George Clooney. Etc.

Once you get 'stumped' three times you are eliminated and the play continues until there is only one person left.

[/quote]

That sounds like such a fun game...I love it!! :)

*You guys are so creative here…I’m stealing some of these! :smiley: I really like this idea, too. *

I meant to ask you all...have any of you ever played the card game...''scats??'' Our relatives who are coming tomorrow for thanksgiving, said they want to teach us how to play. Strangely, it's an Italian card game, but I don't recall this one, growing up. Hmmm...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.