What kinds of things can be blessed? And how do you request it?

Are there any limits on what kinds of things can be blessed? I was thinking specifically of asking for a blessing on a journal I have been using for religious purposes. Would this be appropriate, and if so how would I go about asking? Father always seems terribly busy after Mass, so I feel awkward asking then.

you probably have to make an appointment with him and ask him about doing it since as you have observed he is very busy after mass. I am not sure about a journal but go for it anyway.

[quote="DarkLight, post:1, topic:296251"]
Are there any limits on what kinds of things can be blessed? I was thinking specifically of asking for a blessing on a journal I have been using for religious purposes. Would this be appropriate, and if so how would I go about asking? Father always seems terribly busy after Mass, so I feel awkward asking then.

[/quote]

The old Roman Ritual had blessings for things ranging from telegraph keys to dynamos to fields to boats to locomotives to . . . beer. I think a spiritual journal would be a fine thing to request a blessing for.

The Book of Blessings has in Chapter 71 "Order for a Blessing to be Used in Various Circumstances". It is a blessing to use if other blessings in the book are not suitable for the situation. The introduction includes:

"1985 The present order is in no sense meant to violate principles concerning blessings; it is not fitting to turn every object or situation into an occasion for celebrating a blessing (for example, every monument erected no matter what its theme, the installation of military weapons, frivolous events). Rather every celebration must be considered with balanced pastoral judgment, particularly when there is any foreseeable danger of shocking the faithful or other people."

(Book of Blessings, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8, page 755.)

I am unable to find an obvious blessing for a religious journal. Perhaps Chapter 44, "Order for the Blessing of Religious Articles". The introduction has: "1442 The present order is to be used to bless medals, small crucifixes, statues or pictures that will be displayed elsewhere than in a church or chapel, scapulars, rosaries, and other articles used for religious devotions."

Probably it would be suitable to use the blessing "Order for a Blessing to be Used in Various Circumstances". The introduction has:

"1986 The present order may be used by a priest or deacon. It may also be used by a layperson, who follows the rites and prayers designated for a lay minister. While maintaining the structure and chief elements of the rite, the minister should adapt the celebration to the circumstances of the place and the people involved."

The General Introduction n. 18 (at the beginning of the Book of Blessings) discusses who should do blessings. For example, it has "Priests therefore may preside at the celebration of all the blessings in this book, unless a bishop is present as presider." Similarly with laypeople:

"An acolyte or a reader who by formal institution has this special office in the Church is rightly preferred over another layperson as the minister designated a the discretion of the local Ordinary to impart certain blessings.
Other laymen and laywomen, in virtue of the universal priesthood, a dignity they possess because of their baptism and confirmation, may celebrate certain blessings, ....
But whenever a priest or a deacon is present, the office of presiding should be left to him."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.