What makes Catholicism right?

Hi everyone,

I’m wondering, what are the (tangible) reasons we follow the Catholic faith and not any other faith, or even no faith (atheism)?

Side-note: I am a Catholic and I’m having a rough time with my faith right now, I mean no offense with this question.

We are Catholic because Jesus Himself instituted the Church. It is the only Church which is one, holy, catholic and apostolic.

Hi Brick

Here a 7 quick axioms in regards to you question.

1. God is the author of creation
  2. God chose us, and gave us the gift of free-will so that we might lovingly choose Him.
  3. God established the means and mode through which after choosing Him we might learn how to better know, love and serve Him now and forever -
  4. The means and mode came uniquely first through the Jews.
  5. A second unique mean and mode came in a fulfilled manner through Jesus His begotten and beloved Son.
  6. Jesus established a Church to be the new covenant means and mode through we learn how to better know, love and serve God now and forever
  7. That Church that Christ established came to be known as the Catholic Church and it is still with us today as God’s gift to us and our best mode and means to our end goal.

Why? Read My Testimony

Hi Brickwall -

Why follow the Catholic faith?

It is the Christian faith as Christ intended it to be. Follow some of the threads and do some personal homework and it will become obvious.

Then there is the strong moral culture, not withstanding the abuses, that is inherent in the faith. If you follow Catholic teachings you will become a better person. This can happen elsewhere, but is still a reason to follow Catholicism.

There is a rich history. The Catholic Church reaches all the way back to the bible (See Paul’s letter to the Romans. That is the one and the same church that exists today!) Plus there are writings that continue beyond the bible, in a continuing line from the bible. Those writings come from those called “The Church Fathers.” These are people who were students of the Apostles, or their students. Their writings contain the original faith and we can see a continuity between then and now. The Catholic Church professes one and the same faith.

The Catholic culture is different than protestantism. It emerses itself in the sacraments. Sacraments are meetings with God, deeply spiritual meetings that enrich our lives, both spiritually and emotionally. Most protestant groups focus on the social aspects of worship. I had a very nice Baptist woman tell me once that the heart and soul of the church are the people. I wanted to scream out, “No! It is Jesus Christ!” I didn’t because it was neither the right time nor place, but if you want to develop a closer relationship with Christ, you can’t get any closer than Catholicism.

One Sacrament in particular is the Eucharist. It is where we have Christ with us, tangibly and objectively. When we eat the bread and drink the wine, it is not merely bread and wine, it is the Body and Blood of Christ. Christ tells us that His flesh is true food and His blood true drink. When we eat His body and drink His blood, He abides in us and we abide in Him. Our spirits mingle together with Christs and we spiritually become nourished. It is an awesome feeling!

These are some of the reasons to be Catholic. I am sure others will have more for you.

God bless,
Subrosa

To have faith in God is to have faith in Love-as being situated somehow at the foundation of the universe. Love gives life value and meaning. The Catholic Church defines this primary aspect about God and our faith better than any other, IMO, and helps guide us according to His will in being transformed into His image- i.e. in becoming beings who truly love too, as He does.

Certain Church doctrines, such as her teachings on Original Sin, explain the existence of evil better than any other, IMO, and, while it’s all-too-obvious at times that Catholics unfortunately confirm the validity of this doctrine in themselves-by our own sins -we also have the evidence of changed lives, those who’ve gone far in overcoming the selfishness of sin that all too easily pulls us down-and growing in it’s antithesis, love.

This evidence is composed historically of altruism on a grand scale-charitable work of giving, giving, giving-feeding the poor, orphanages, hospitals, schools and the development of the university system, early historical strides in and support of science, art, and philosophy- those things which seek to uplift human dignity and make the world better.

Because it makes us happy. Because being Catholic puts us in a situation where we are as close to God as we can be in this life and that is what makes us happy. :slight_smile:

Catholicism is right because Christ (himself) created and guides it to be so.

I’m a revert. I came back for the Eucharist, to sacramentally receive Jesus in the way that He wished and established with His Apostles for His Church.

Jesus is Lord, one in union with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit and together They work graces into the Church through priests and through us - His disciples. We all are in a united relationship with the Trinity.

This united Trinitarian relationship guides me with Light, through this life - toward my hope.

“I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly”.

Jesus
Gospel of John 10:10

I’m Catholic because it’s true. Other churches have part of the truth, but if one knows the fullness of the Truth, then he/she is bound to be part of that Truth.

As others have said, the Eucharist is really the key. To know the Real Presence is a gift of faith. If you don’t have that gift, then ask God for it. He will give you the grace you need. Find an opportunity for Eucharistic Adoration and spend an hour with the Lord. Attend daily Mass. Attend the Stations of the Cross on Fridays. Go to church on Holy Thursday and Good Friday. Watch the Passion of the Christ. Read stories of saints (Mother Theresa, John Bosco, Solanus Casey) and inspirational stories that renew your faith (Left to Tell, the Amazing Grace series, books on miracles). Become immersed in the goodness of God.

Speak to the holiest person you know about your faith challenges and ask them to guide you. Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to meet with your priest.

To be succinct,
[LIST=1]
*]Catholicism was created by Jesus, established by the apostles, and continues today in an unbroken line of authority. All other faith traditions were established by men using their own fallible judgements.
*]The Bible was created by the authority of the Catholic church. The church received this authority from the apostles who received it from Jesus who received it from His Father in heaven. The Mass is the most scripturally soaked worship that is celebrated on a regular basis. Other “Bible based” traditions always miss the mark in one way or another.
*]The fullness of the truth exists only in the Catholic church. It is within the Catholic church that one finds all the sacraments, traditions, and practices that have been embraced since the earliest days of Christianity. Other traditions have some truths - only the Catholic church has the fullness of truth.
*]The Catholic church and the Eastern Orthodox are the only churches where one can receive the Eucharist consecrated by validly ordained priests. Eastern Orthodox churches have this due to valid ordination of their clergy. This validity came from their roots in the Catholic church. In the early churches, Communion was never a symbol - it was always the real presence. This continues today in the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches.
*]The apostles and early church fathers were all Catholic in practice and understanding. While the term “Catholic” may not have existed or been in wide use, it was adopted early to distinguish those who all follow the way of Christ. The earliest Christians could not have been Bible believers because the canon of the Bible was not declared until 380. Furthermore, they could not have been Protestant because no Protestant church (by their own admission) existed before Luther’s rebellion.
[/LIST]

F: You have an excellent answer here. Since you are on a roll maybe you can answer my question. Given that the Catholic Church was founded by Christ and that we all receive Him who is Love weekly in the Eucharist, then why does it seem to me that people (including myself) do not receive and share more interpersonal love in a chatholic parish than in any other religious institution? Hopefully the problem is just me and if I get it right then all this will follow. Message me privately if my question is off topic.

Eucharist!

peace

Hi again, I have read all of your answers and I thank you for taking the time to write them.

I realize that it is difficult to answer such a question in a few paragraphs. Are there any links you guys can share that have philisophical, historical, and (maybe) scientific proofs as to why the Catholic church is the truth? I am looking for things to refute atheistic arguments since (to me) they are the biggest reason the younger generations are losing their faith in our religion.

I am looking for arguments of Catholicism vs. Atheism rather than Catholicism vs. other religions or denominations of Christianity.

I would strongly suggest you look up Fatima, Lourdes and Guadelupe. The accounts of well documented miracles that have happened under the auspices of Catholicism would fill many volumes of books.

Because Jesus said so:

I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hell will not overpower it. - Matt 16:18

Dinesh D’Souza - What’s So Great About Christianity. This book goes through all the arguments and answers them well. D’Souza has also successfully debated many well-known atheists.
Frank Turek - I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be An Atheist (check out his web site also)
Hugh Ross books and web site - very scientific approach. Reasons.org

That’s a geat question with an important Trinitarian dimension! Monasteries are an attempt at exactly this are they not?

I’d suggest reading Pope Benedict’s book, Introduction to Christianity.

I am looking for arguments of Catholicism vs. Atheism rather than Catholicism vs. other religions or denominations of Christianity.

There are over 100 interplanetary scientific constants that must occur to produce intelligent life on a planet within it’s universe. Just one constant, is planetary wide in scope. These are not small forces. The chance of all these constants “lining up” to produce an Earth that can sustain life - leaving alone intelligent life - is one chance in 10 to the 138th power.

Astrophysicist Hugh Ross has calculated the probability that these and other constants (122 in all) would exist today for any planet in the universe by chance (I.e., without Divine design).

Assuming there are 10 to the 22nd power planets in the universe (a very large number: 1 with 22 zeros following it), his answer is shocking; one chance in 10 to the 38th power, that’s one chance in one with 138 zeros after it.

There are only about 10 to the 70th power atoms in the entire universe.

In effect, there’s zero chance that any planet in the universe would have the life-supporting conditions we have, unless there is an intelligent Designer behind it all.

inplainsite.org/html/anthropic_principles.html

A few of these universal and planetary constants to consider:

Anthropic Constant

1: Oxygen Level

On earth, oxygen comprises 21 percent of the atmosphere. That precise figure is an Anthropic Constant that makes life on earth possible. If oxygen were 25% fires would erupt spontaneously, if it were 15%, human beings would suffocate.

Anthropic Constant 2:

Atmospheric Transparency
If the atmosphere were less transparent, not enough solar radiation would reach the earth’s surface. If it were more transparent we would be bombarded with far roo much solar radiation down here. (In addition to atmospheric transparency, the atmospheric composition of precise levels of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide and ozone are in themselves Anthropic constants).

Anthropic Constant 3:

Moon-Earth Gravitational Interaction
If the interaction were greater than it currently is, tidal effects on the oceans, atmosphere, and rotational period would be too severe. If it were less, orbital changes would cause climatic instabilities. In either event, life on earth would be impossible.

Anthropic Constant 4:

Carbon Dioxide level
If the CO2 level were higher than it is now, a runaway greenhouse effect would develop (we’d all burn up). If the level were lower than it is now, plants would not be able to maintain efficient photosynthesis (we’d all suffocate).

Anthropic Constant 5:

Gravity
If the gravitational force were altered by 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent, our sun would not exist, and, therefore neither would we. Talk about precision.

Anthropic Constant 6:

Centrifugal Force
If the centrifugal force of planetary movements did not precisely balance the gravitational forces, nothing could be held in orbit around the sun.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.