What makes Episcopalian, and Anglican different from Evangelical Protestants?

I know the Anglican and the Episcopalians have bishops or a hiarchy, but I like to know the difference between them and the mainstream Evangelical Protestants.

Sacraments

Do they all claim to have 7 sacraments, or do some have two, like the Methodists?

In Pax Christi
Andrew

They claim two.

Well, it depends on which Anglicans you are talking about. Many Anglicans, particularly in England and in parts of Africa, essentially are “mainstream evangelical Protestants.” Anglicans differ from most evangelical Protestants in having a fixed, written liturgy, though of course other denominations do this as well and there are some evangelical Anglican churches that depart from the liturgy quite radically. Generally Anglicans have communion weekly–but again, so do some other Protestants, and the practice is not universal even today. By and large, Anglicans put more stock in tradition, especially in the early Church, than other Protestants–but again, there are counter-examples on both sides. Anglicans have a calendar that commemorates saints, but this isn’t entirely unique either.

Beyond the episcopal hierarchy with historic continuity (not claiming apostolic succession here, which the more low-church Anglicans don’t believe in anyway), all the differences between Anglicans and other Protestants are really a matter of degree. Anglicans are more likely to use a fixed liturgy, emphasize the sacraments, venerate saints, pray for the dead (this is part of the liturgy of the Episcopal Church and is common in many, perhaps most Anglican churches these days–but probably not all), believe in the value of good works for salvation, and so on, than most other Protestants.

And, of course, many Anglicans are not evangelicals. Anglo-Catholics generally believe all the things held in common by Catholics and Orthodox.

Edwin

We practice all seven. The 39 Articles say that the other five aren’t really sacraments, but the Articles are not considered binding by all Anglicans, and can be interpreted simply to mean that the two main sacraments have a status all their own, with the other five being sacraments in a lesser, derivative sense. That is what I was taught when I became Episcopalian. My parish in NC would have said that we believed in seven sacraments, and the current Episcopal catechism speaks in terms of two central sacraments and five that are not sacraments in the same way, rather than denying the sacramentality of the five outright.

Edwin

You will often hear the two sacraments of the Eucharist and Baptism, referred to as Dominical Sacraments, that is, established in their form by Our Lord. This represents the special status of those two.

Anglicans also possess Apostolic succession and valid orders (when the matter is valid) and thus a valid Eucharist.

Yes, I know about Apostolicae Curae. Believe me, I do. Really. In detail.

GKC

*Anglicanus Catholicus *

I don’t wish to get into a big thing with you here, but does the Catholic Church say that Anglicans do NOT possess Apostolic Succession? Wouldn’t this be a matter of opinion? Just curious is all.

In Pax Christi
Andrew

No. It is a matter of a *de fide *judgment, as rendered in 1896, in a Bull over the signature of Leo XIII, that Anglican orders are null and void, hence Apostolic succession was lost. All RCs should affirm this.

Anglicans have different view of the matter.

GKC

Wasn’t Harpazo asking about Evangelical Protestants, not Episcopalians…

are thier sacrements legit?

Their baptisms are, and the Catholic Church would recognize the marriage of two baptized episcopalians who are free to marry as a sacramental marriage.

I’m sorry, I’ve been answering Manny in terms of what Evangelicals believe…I’m sorry for MY confusion…

As noted, there are many strains within the Anglican tradition. There are also evangelical Episcopalians (a tradition of which I was once a member). In my personal experience, the main differences between evangelical Episcopalians and other evangelical Protestants was our Bishop (who we usually ignored except for confirmation…an overstatement here but not by much) and our use of the liturgy of the Book of Common Prayer, which we were very much devoted to.

Are you looking for differences in worship style or doctrine?

As an evangelical–the one big difference I notice is evangelical churches do more evangelizing in their community or doing missions trips etc.
Many(not all)mainline protestants kinda stay to themselves and wait for people to come in.:shrug:

My church is constantly reaching out to the community. Im not talking about helping people in need because I think ALL churches do that–Im talking about leaving the safety of the church building and spreading the gospel wherever.:thumbsup:

I also think evangelicals are more conservative in their actions. Probably more outspoken about their faith as well. BUT DUH of course they would be if they go around evangelizing.:o :smiley:

I was going to say that as well. The Evangelicals that I know are much more conservative than Episcopalians…I have mentioned before, when the gay bishop thing went down, our church lost some folks to the Catholic church (provided they had valid marriages, sorry, but it’s true) and the Evangelical church…both much more conservative on that issue.

Currently, most conservative Anglicans are, in essence, evangelical protestants (but with fixed liturgy and a few other Catholic trappings, such as the episcopal hierarchy and availability of 7 sacraments). There is still a fairly good sized (but shrinking) minority of Anglo-Catholics who are in practice and theology generally more in line with Catholicism than their more Reformed brethren. The more liberal Anglicans (called Episcopalians in the US) can run the gamut from high-church to “cosmic masses” (thank you Matt Fox), and neo-pagan worship of the “divine feminine”. :rolleyes:

Once the current unpleasantness runs its course, I think the conservative Anglican communion (whether it includes Canterbury or not) will be mostly evangelical in theology and flavor. Whether they still make room for the dwindling (but vocal) Anglo-Catholic orthodox remains to be seen. :frowning:

wrong, WE have all 7.

Your opinions here are mere rhetoric. Anglicans are in NO way evangelical Protestants. Anglo-Catholics are NOT in communion with Canterbury and your statement about neo-pagan worship of the divine feminine is pure garbage and a lie. I would appreciate some decentcy in your comments about our church instead of propaganda and slandering.

“Anglo-Catholic” is a term that identifies a particular flavor of Anglican, with a lineage back to the Tractarians and the Ritualists of the 19th century. Anglo-Catholics may exist, in communion with Canterbury, or not in communion with Canterbury. I am one of the latter.

GKC

*Anglicanus Catholicus *

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.