What makes religion hard

Why is religion difficult then? All we have to do is pray and ask God and trust that what He is doing is for our own good in the end. Are humans that stubborn? If God’s burden is light. There is always ignorance for why people do not know God. Could we really all be saints if we tried?
I guess we all have different capacities for understanding.

We can be saints because God gives us the gift of actual graces, even before our conversion. We cannot be a saint on our own, although we could do morally good things.

Religion is about family. Who is your family?

We have God the Father, The Son, & The Holy Spirit along with the Blessed Virgin Mother and all the saints as our family. This does not mean that it will be easy. Family is the balance of accommodation, sacrifice, and pleasing the whole family. Imbalances cause the friction. Yet, we are called to love and strive to get the whole family to heaven to be with Our Father.

Praying is similar to talking. Yes, it is good to talk. It is equally important to listen and make a choice on how to respond to what we heard. I’ve been to a few family dinners where everyone talks, but none listen. I think this is the trend in news today. When we treat praying like this, we end up at the same loud dinner where everyone talks.

Here on CAF, I find it interesting to go through the countless prayer requests we have. It is amazing that so many of our brothers and sisters in Christ are going through so many different problems … But so many of the same problems.

**Mostly we all have to actively grow in our faith but studying good materials, prayer, reflection, and serving others. We don’t pop put of the womb with everything we need to know physically…why would we necessarily be fully developed spiritually? People learn and grow their entire lives. Hopefully, in their faith and relationship with God as well. **

What makes religion hard?

The daily cross Jesus said to pick up and carry after him.

The daily cross are the commandments, doing not our will but his in all we do. Being faithful to and seeking Jesus in rain as well as in shine. Being unsatisfied in seeing Jesus suffering in others. And knowing there is always one more thing we have forgotten to do or could have done.

What makes it sweet?

In knowing he is there with us, with his love and peace. Assurance that we do not have much time when he will take us to himself and it will all be over and the joy begins.

One of the things that makes the practice of Christian religion difficult is that there are so many interpretations of it.

To begin with, we apply our modern reference points to what the Bible, specifically the New Testament, says. so, we come up with these frequent stumbling block questions about women not being priests, women being silent “in the assembly” and covering their heads.

Our Church has a Catechism, but it does not have an official commentary on all of scripture, even the new testament.

There is a nearby parish where people speak loudly before Mass, and it is impossible to pray, even right there before the Blessed Sacrament in the Tabernacle. If I sit towards the rear of the church, I always get an usher (on Sundays) who is talking almost non-stop during Mass.

If you’re a Catholic, you’d better have devotion to the Blessed Mother and say the Rosary every day. This is an example of some very narrowly defined aspects of Catholic spirituality. These are examples of things that we are supposed to do.

On the other hand, for example, 1 Co 14:1 says we should eagerly seek the spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophesy. But, I’ve never heard this prayed for during Mass, even in this era of the ‘new’ evangelization. And, we’re supposed to be ‘eager’ about this!

The “prayers of the faithful” at Mass have been very formalized, to the point of ritualization, in praying for the Pope, our local bishop, the priests, deacons, and consecrated religious. On EWTN, at Mass, the priests are always praying for ‘mother’ Angelica – as if there weren’t millions of others who needed prayers just as badly.

True religion, the writer James says, is taking care of widows and orphans. First, as someone who lost my father early in life, I rarely felt that anyone cared about me, certainly not the local church.

Another category of insult to practicing Catholic religion is duplicity. We had crucifixes in the house and went to Mass, but the household standard was my mom’s homestead, where they never prayed together on any occasion, including before meals.

It’s nice to hear of ‘strong’ Catholic families, but I don’t know of any, personally. We have Catholics fighting with Catholics over their backyard fences, a lot. When I went to Catholic high school, I was bullied by upperclassmen, and, being from a neighboring parish, I was never welcomed into that neighboring parish’s communal practices. There are many, many ways I feel like an outsider in my own parish.

There are people in the parish who act like they are more important and exist at a higher stratum – like parking in the handicapped spaces (even though they don’t have any plate or placard for parking there) to get the best parking spaces.

In September, I got kicked out of our bible study class by a ‘commissioned lay minister’ despite the fact that our parish’s mission statement says that “all are welcome.” More duplicity ( first and second corinthians, revisited).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.