What makes someone catholic?

By this I meaning catholic, with a small c, that includes those not in communion with Rome. To me, personally, to qualify as catholic, a person must accept the trinity, the full humanity and divinity of Christ, transubstantiation ( or an equivalent term such as metousiosis or sacramental union), the ever-virginity of Mary, the necessity of sacraments for salvation, acknowledging the validity of sacred tradition, and accept the authority of bishops. What beliefs define catholicity to you? who do you count as part of the catholic faith, as distinct from the actual church?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says:
What does “catholic” mean?

830 The word “catholic” means “universal,” in the sense of “according to the totality” or “in keeping with the whole.” the Church is catholic in a double sense: First, the Church is catholic because Christ is present in her. "Where there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic Church."307 In her subsists the fullness of Christ’s body united with its head; this implies that she receives from him "the fullness of the means of salvation"308 which he has willed: correct and complete confession of faith, full sacramental life, and ordained ministry in apostolic succession. … (source)

Pope Paul VI’s Credo of the People of God.

The major factors include:

You have made the sacrament of confirmation, penance, and Eucharist

Your say the profession of faith at mass and believe it.

You accept the doctrines and dogmas of the Church.

The churches that are outside of full communion do not have the fullness of truth of Christ’s church. They are described as separated brethren, but could also be described as “in schism” in relation to the church that Christ founded through Peter.

Ignatius of Antioch, first century bishop and student of the apostles, viewed schism as a very serious matter.

Good question. The only thing I am sure of is that all humans are children of God, and that Jesus suffered, died, and rose for us all. Therefore I am not sure whether it makes sense to sort out the human race into us and them.

Why would you think those not in union with the successor to St Peter are “catholic”?

Yet when one ceases or refuses to be united to St Peter and his successors, and those in union with him, they go directly against our Lord’s prayer. John 17:20-23 , and in extension, also cease to be “catholic” 816 , 817, 830 , 834 , 846

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.