What makes the baptist denomination different to my methodist church?

What makes the baptist denomination different to my methodist church? :shrug:

From what I remember, the Baptist movement is more Calvinistic in belief. The tenets of eternal security, baptism by immersion only, irresistable grace and the authority of the local congregation are all part of most Baptist groups…not all Baptist’s are Calvinistic…I believe the General Baptists and of course the Freewill Baptists do not hold with predestination or God electing who will be saved and who will be damned as other Baptist traditions hold.

Methodism began in the 18th century under John Wesley call for the Anglican church to personal holiness. He is of Arminian belief, that salvation can be lost due to sin and rejection of predestination. Methodists continued practicing infant baptism and has no issue with different modes such as sprinkling and pouring…Baptists only accept full immersion…and reject infant baptism as they also trace themselves to Anabaptist heritage.

He believed there is a “second work of grace” called “entire sanctification” subsequent to “justification/regeneration” wrought by the Holy Spirit in a believer’s life which cleanses one from the bondage of original sin…“the old man” and allows the believer through the work of the Holy Spirit to the possibility of living a life without sin, since the old sin nature is “crucified with Christ”.

I’m sure I gave an “over-simplification” of the differences…as I understand them.

Conservative Methodist belief finds a home in the Free Methodis, Weslyan, and Nazarene churches today. United Methodists tend to hold more middle of the road/liberal beliefs.

Hi Jennifer,

“My Methodist church”??? I thought you had turned the corner and joined the Catholic Church. I know that you are struggling on some fronts, but you really can’t be both. At some point, you will have to commit to one or the other. Being both at the same time is impossible…

LOL - I wanted to know what makes the denominations different but I can reassure you that I am never going back into to one ever again! :smiley:

Okay, I think this rounds it up. :smiley: Thank you Publisher!

P.S. I’m not really a fan of the baptist denomination anyway…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.