What makes you a Christian

At what point does a person who is a Christian stoping being one. Are the Mormon Christian along with Muslims? At what point does one stop being catholic

My quick definition would be that a Christian is someone who believes in the Trinitarian, monotheistic God of the Nicene or Apostle’s creed. This includes Catholics and Protestants, but not Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, or Muslims, I think. I’m not very knowledgeable about Muslims, however, but I think they’re closer to Christianity than Mormons or Jehovah’s Witnesses. You move out of Catholic theology when you cross into Protestantism, like a Lutheran, Methodist, or Baptist church, for example.

You cease being in full communion with the Church when you commit one of the sins of Heresy, Apostasy, and Schism.

The point that everyone agrees on is accepting Jesus Christ as Saviour and that he is the son of God which doesn’t include Muslims because they only see him as a prophet not the son of God.

Most mainstream Christians would say an agreement of the Trinity which does not include Mormons, JWs and another which I have forgotten (oneness Pentecostals?)

As for being Catholic I would imagine being out of communion with the Church and not agreeing with its teachings? :shrug:

One of my co-workers, became a Buddhist. He told me of a Christian who approached his guru to become a Buddhist. He was fed up with Christianity. The guru told him that he could become a Buddhist, but he would never cease to be a Christian.

The inquirer asked if that was because the Christians had brainwashed him. The guru explained that when he was baptized he was injected with a certain bit of truth. That truth would always remain in him regardless of what he added.

I think that is a good explanation of the sacrament of Baptism. Once one is baptized one is always a Christian - for ones glory in Heaven or shame in Hell.

Who is a Christian?

Well, the most basic answer is: that he believes that Jesus is the Christ (Messiah).

The Muslims say NO … He is not.
Ergo, Islam is not Christian.

Jehovah’s Witnesses do not believe in the Trinity (nor do the Mormans).
So, they are not Christian, as a Religion.

But, importantly, individual people within the confines of their worship CAN be Christians.
Not every person believes every tenet of his religion.

Being a Christian is more than claiming to be the recipient of rituals and rites designed to cleanse on of their sins.

One is a Christian when one lives their lives as a Christian not because living right makes one a Christian but because the work of the Holy Spirit by grace through faith indwells us and cleanses us from sin and it is because He indwells us and renews us… We are new creations in Him.

One does not cease to be a Christian when one sins… we have an Advocate before Father and the convicting work of the Spirit who indwells us to Call us back to communion with Him.

One ceases to be a Christian when one stops being a Christian and no longer “lives in the Spirit”.

Joe Kelley said;** “One of my co-workers, became a Buddhist.
He told me of a Christian who approached his guru to become a Buddhist.
He was fed up with Christianity.
The guru told him that he could become a Buddhist, but he would never cease to be a Christian.
The guru explained that when he was baptized he was injected with a certain bit of truth.
That truth would always remain in him regardless of what he added.”**

WOW! What a beautiful way that guru handed back that Christian his religious heritage.

A long-time close friend has been practicing Buddhism for a few years, though he has reduced his time to once a month or so.
He is still a practicing (and believing) Catholic.

When he started, the guru told him to hold on to whatever religion he believed in.
That Buddhism is not a religion (to replace his) … It is a way to understand the workings of the Mind.
So, one meditates, looking for how thoughts come-and-go through the consciousness.
Later, one can begin to influence what thoughts pass through. That’s the theory.

He went from a mildly interested Catholic, to now, a person who truly is excited to be at the Mass, and especially to take Communion. He started serving at the Altar.

This is not a commercial.
I am Happy for anyone who can get a deeper meaning from their Catholicism.
I believe in focusing on my Catholic Church, as should we all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.