What manufacturing CEOs told Trump once the cameras turned off:

What manufacturing CEOs told Trump once the cameras turned off:

axios.com/what-manufacturing-ceos-told-trump-the-future-workplace-2280813535.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_term=business&utm_content=textlong

Yea, new jobs require training and prep, but we need the jobs to exist, as the carrot, to drive the training.

Remember when your employer would train you for your job? Now, even the simplest jobs require a college education making the employee or his parents pay for the training needed to obtain that job.

Not always true. There are employers who will at least assist promising employees to gain further technical education, if not pay for it entirely.

I most strongly disagree, a decent K-12 education prepares you for most jobs and on the job training is often available to assist with employee promotions. Most employers also support JC training that is congruent to their needs, they just don’t support a degree in Women’s Studies or History.

If I’m wrong, please give examples.

I train my new employees from scratch. My latest employee had no work experience in our field whatsoever. I hired him based upon his work ethic and personality and must say he is doing a great job. The desire to learn more, far exceeds what one has already been taught.

:thumbsup: There’s something to be said for those with the willingness to teach and the patience required.

The college-for-everyone insanity is a serious problem for many industries. Electric Boat in Connecticut just started a new apprenticeship program because they are having trouble finding welders, steel workers, electricians, etc to work on their nuclear submarines. BAE systems in the UK has the same problem. They need to plan for 20 years down the road when many in their current labor force retire and they can’t replace them.

HII has been doing that for a bit in Mississippi. You start at over $17 with benefits on day 1.

As a small business owner, we even provide a requite training budget for certain certifications and training. Most company’s in my sector do, if for no other reason than it makes your benefits package competitive. To not do so in this arena is a foreign concept for most employers.

I never heard of a “college-for-everyone” problem. I have heard of a nation goal to move the US from the portion of the adult population with college credentials from 40% to 60%, Reaching this goal would just put the US among nations at the top of educational attainment.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think there’s something to be said for the medieval model where apprenticeships made up the vast majority of education, and universities were geared for more, to use modern lingo, the world of policy and theory. Our understanding of the purpose of education has conflated pragmatism and true liberal education.

My college experience felt far too thin. I went into a field that traditionally would have been an apprenticeship, only it was jammed in with other courses in order to be more rounded. I’m all for roundedness, but what this essentially did was make us less prepared for a craft. It’s too divided and scattered.

Kids today are raised to believe 2 things about not going to college: A.) if you don’t go, it is because you are too stupid, and B.) you have to go to college to get a good job. The stigma behind going to a trade school or doing an apprenticeship is causing a lot of people to go to college who really don’t have to or want to, racking up tons of debt for a degree that leaves them no better prepared to do a real job than their HS diploma.

Employers are not innocent either. They make an undergraduate degree a requirement for absolutely every position whether it is relevant or not. They have to train college grads just as much as they would anyone else, so they gain little by doing this.

Even worse, many undergrad programs people think of as preparing someone for a real world job do no such thing. CS majors, for example, are taught theories and math; they’re not taught programming languages, except as necessary to do their assignments. CS programs use Java because it’s easy and they can get right to teaching students the math, rather than “wasting” time teaching the students C. It’s a sad fact that most CS departments see teaching programming languages as beneath them. Yet the job market needs people who know the nitty-gritty details of a language and are proficient at writing clean, high quality, secure code. This is not something that fresh CS majors are prepared for, unless they learn it themselves.

Outside of very specialized fields, an undergraduate program is not going to prepare anyone for real life jobs. We have got to stop thinking about college as job training. This would make it possible to get rid of the stigma around working in the trades, going to vocational schools, and even liberal arts degree programs. When you think of college as job training, being an arts major, history major, or political science major (my field!) makes little sense. When you think of college as something you do because you *want *to do it, there’s nothing wrong with majoring in liberal arts or anything else. It’s about personal growth and development, not teaching you how to put widgets on a conveyor line.

The jobs don’t require a college education. Someone who sits around and thinks up of the requirements does.

I work in a job (computer phone support) that could easily be done by a person with a certificate or two. But they require a college degree, because someone, somewhere along the line thought it would sound good.

We will always need a good plumber, electrician, etc. Unfortunately, we have instilled the idea that everyone would be better served by a cerebral pursue. Look at the society that we have created by taking all the manufacturing jobs away? The Mid-West has one town after another where their only source of commerce is the big box store at the far end of town.

Of course the result is that workers make a fraction of the wages that they previously earned in a manufacturing job. By not investing in our infrastructure (I mean our people), they become more depended on government assistance. Also, by allowing business to diverse by sending jobs overseas, they have less of a vested interest in the communities they serve. The result is that businesses have become bigger and incorporated in multiple countries. This means they pay little taxes and we have no control over intellectual properties that are shared with countries that are not very friendly to us.

I never want to under value an education. But I also want to show my respect to those that work hard, acquire a skill and become contributing members to society. It’s the American dream that has unfortunately been tarnished.

I am not a high school counselor, but I could not consciously encourage kids to pursue degrees that will garner little financial rewards and only provide insurmountable debts? How is this different from any other “snake oil” salesman?

I feel you see this alot with people in art and music. Kids should be taught that their passion may just be a lifelong hobby rather than a bill paying career, and nothing is wrong with that.

As a relative once advised, you need to have multiple arrows in you quiver, so you have options.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.