WHAT?! maybe it's just me

I’m getting married in November so I’m looking at wedding music at the moment. oen recessional song I just happened on is “It’s the end of the world as we know it” by R.E.M

does anyone else find this kind of strange? I can see the point kind of, since it’s the end of your single world but it sounds kind of…angry

Very strange - especially for the ceremony.

Now, depending on the sense of humor of the couple, and how well everyone knows them, it could be funny at the reception.

Has anyone read anything but the title?? This is a most depressing song and I don’t understand why anyone would want it sung at a wedding.

I laughed a little… only because if you think about it completely sarcastically, it can be a little bit funny.

Don’t worry, I don’t think marriage is the end of the world or anything of the sort!

Come on, it couldn’t be as bad as:

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away,
Now it looks as though they’re here to say…

:smiley:

I don’t think a secular song can be used as a recessional at a Catholic wedding, can it???

I think it’s awfully cute. A marriage is the end of an individuals’ “world” as s/he knows it - and both of them are fine with it :thumbsup:

Wow…those lyrics leave a lot to be desired. :frowning: Pick something a little more positive as you begin married life! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

Ha, that’s almost as bad as another song I have heard of for a wedding. DH told me a while ago that he had heard of couples using “Every Breath You Take” by the Police as a first-dance song. That song is about a stalker, Sting has said as much. Why on earth would anyone pick a song about a stalker to dance to at their wedding???

I’m sure the couple who would pick this is a: not Catholic and b: has a sense of humour.

When we got married (way before we were Catholic), we considered “With or Without You” as a recessional as a JOKE.

Our dd is getting married in 2 weeks. The church organist sent her a list of songs to choose from. There was everything from Canon in D to Disney theme songs.

you won’t be allowed to play this during Mass, and guests at wedding might not get the joke. You may wish to save this for your first baby shower which will herald the real “end of the world” as you know it

I guess I agree with you…it really is the end of the world as they know it and they feel fine.

I am not down with the song at all. Perspective is an odd thing.

Admittedly, it wouldn’t work for every couple - but I can see some of my friends using it at a reception, and I think it would be a riot!

Just like those who pick Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You”. I really don’t think anyone goes past the titles when they pick these songs.

Reminds me of the funeral we had last year for a man named Daniel and the song they played for the Procession was Elton John’s “Daniel” (Daniel you’re travelling tonight on a plane…)

The recessional was Dolly Parton, can’t quite remember which song.

Just to clarify, I wasn’t ever planning on CHOOSING this song. I just thought it was a strange pick. Another that caught my eye (as a joke song) was “nice day for a white wedding” even Billy Idol has said he can’t believe people play that at weddings

We were not allowed to have any secular music at our wedding not even the wedding march. Apparently the wedding march comes from an opera (I think opera) where it ends in an adulterous affair. We were allowed only to have “High” Church Music

We had Trumpet Tune and Voluntary for the Processional and
Ode to Joy was the Recessional

We’re using the Hallelujiah chorus as our recessional. We thought A) it’s a beautiful song, and B) it should bring a smile to peoples faces!

In that case, I’ll take the Star Wars march. There’s no adultery in Star Wars after all. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.