What means "Dei sacrificium intellectus"?

encyclopedia.jrank.org/JEE_JUN/JESUITS.html

Sacrificium Intellectus: the sacrifice of the intellect, silencing the voice of reason in favour of blind faith??? :confused:

“Dei sacrificium intellectus” (the sacrifice of reason to God) -St. Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556)

What is the context of this saying? Where was it written?

I have not heard of this letter before, but I don’t have any issue with it. It is well-known that we must submit our wills to that of God. That is, we should will NOT what we want, but will instead what God wants. Our desires should be put second to those of God.

So far so good?

Now he is explaining that we should go further and think as God would. Read 1 Corinthians, chapter 2. The last verse (16) says:

For “who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to counsel him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

We are encouraged to put on the mind of Christ. To think as He does. To sacrifice the pride of reasoning it out ourselves and allow God to instruct us through the Spirit in how to reason as He does.

I am not certain this is correct, but this idea may come from the Suscipe (Offering of Oneself), a prayer by St. Ignatius Loyola.

Latin
Suscipe, Domine, universam meam libertatem. Accipe memoriam, intellectum, atque voluntatem omnem. Quidquid habeo vel possideo mihi largitus es; id tibi totum restituo, ac tuae prorsus voluntati trado gubernandum. Amorem tui solum cum gratia tua mihi dones, et dives sum satis, hec aliud quidquam ultra posco.

English
Take Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will – all that I have and call my own. You have given it all to me. To you, Lord, I return it. Everything is yours; do with it what you will. Give me only your love and your grace. That is enough
for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.