What mechanisms does your church have in place to support family life?

I am struggling here about and would like to know whats going on in other peoples parishes. If the church is saying we need to be fully inclusive to be welcoming to all. I ponder if we are doing everything possible to support this.

I am an active member of my church, school and wider community. I would like to know whats on offer in other chrches to compare with my own. I would like to know what things we should be doing to support them. berevment/ counselling/ young couples/ youth/eldery, single spinster or bachelors who have stayed this way through the carer they offer to their parents ect…

thank you

Angela. xxxxx

Our parish (a big cathedral) has several ministries. Among my favorite are: a "mothers day out" for SAHMs who need to run errands, a knitting circle for the elderly, a bereavement ministry which includes volunteers who make food and visit families who have recently lost loved ones, and a support/prayer group for new mothers. I think we could do more for the older widowed/single men in our parish, though. The veterans breakfast and KOC is about all we have for them.

I think if you use the word "spinster" in advertising a group, you will run off droves of people.

[quote="kage_ar, post:3, topic:187346"]
I think if you use the word "spinster" in advertising a group, you will run off droves of people.

[/quote]

Good point. ROFL

Let’s see, what did Jesus do?

He taught the adults and blessed the kids. We should take him as an example and put education first for our adults.

[quote="kage_ar, post:3, topic:187346"]

[/quote]

Sorry I should probably have chosen a different description instead of 'spinster'. I think I am old school and it is hard to remember to be politically correct! I was just trying to get a broader picture of what is going on in other churches. The Catholic Church wants us to be fully inclusive, but what we have to remember is we are serving all the community. As well as the youth, the mature single people? I am looking at my church first and then what do we offer as a pastoral community, then as a dioceses?

Although my church has many mechanisms in place, young couple’s marriage preps. courses, baptism classes, parent and toddler, social and welfare, Home school parish links, HCPT, parish socials, family liturgical celebrations...... and so on and so on... we are doing these things at a very small level. I think it is like everything we need to be seen to be doing things but are we communicating with each other? Are we reaching out to those who need our help? Or do policies, guidance and being political right, now, today prevent us from doing what families do best, in showing empathy to others. We are rarely attuned to empowering families to get on with what God created them to do. We train catechist and teachers for schools, but we not parents for the home?

I hope this all makes sense, I struggle with it sometimes myself and ponder on the thought 'WHAT WOULD JESUS DO IF HE WERE HE NOW!' and this empowers me to go on and its like I have a spark in me, full of life and energy... I know its God speaking in my heart.... and it is an honour!

Thank you for your reply x

[quote="CatofAlexandria, post:2, topic:187346"]
Our parish (a big cathedral) has several ministries. Among my favorite are: a "mothers day out" for SAHMs who need to run errands, a knitting circle for the elderly, a bereavement ministry which includes volunteers who make food and visit families who have recently lost loved ones, and a support/prayer group for new mothers. I think we could do more for the older widowed/single men in our parish, though. The veterans breakfast and KOC is about all we have for them.

[/quote]

Alexandra thank you for your import, your church seems as healthy as ours, but if we look deep we are all doing things to support people but on a very small level. We need to be evangelising and doing what Jesus taught us to do. may be if we communicated to all the other groups may be that would help? If all groups collaborativly was working together, talking to each nother... but instead of us taking the lead maybe they coul..., good thought hey!.. Thank you for inspiring me! x:)

[quote="kage_ar, post:5, topic:187346"]
Let's see, what did Jesus do?

He taught the adults and blessed the kids. We should take him as an example and put education first for our adults.

[/quote]

Kage...
I so much agree with this! But are we doing this in our churches? I can see it but only on a small level.... we have caps! Our bishops recognise this and plan for the future always with a lovely vision... but it is not getting implemented.. We have resources and they are not being used... we have people out there that are doing good work and fulfilling Gods plan... but it doesn’t seem the same for all of us... I feel a void and wish I could fill it.... but after all it depends on our priests! Some come and some go, but no matter how hard you try to let God take the lead in your life... some priests just don’t want to let go of their power of authority... I hope this makes sense... I am so passionate in doing what Jesus taught us to do.! Thank you so much for comments, it has helped me a lot x
:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.