What movie did you finish watching?

Greetings to Catholic Answers Forum,

I am always looking for new movies to watch. So to get some ideas I thought that I would ask you fine folks what you have been watching and what you think of it.

Please no plot spoilers..........

What movie did you just finish watching?
What rating would you give it? [Up to five stars.]

God Bless.
Anathama Sit

"Moneyball." Didn't like it. Very depressing when you think about the message it sends about new rookies-turned-scouts-turned-managers and how cynical they became. Very, very, cynical movie. I don't agree it's the best baseball movie ever made - still gotta side with "Bull Durham."

"Dolphin Tale." Loved it. Glad audiences are finally going to see it. Where are all the Catholic raves on here and elsewhere?

"Straw Dogs." I'm a huge Sam Peckinpah fan (liked the original), but walked out of this remake an hour into it. Very sleazy. Only went because James Woods was in it (something that I found out by accident.)

This weekend we watched two movies:

Arthur (the new one) - laugh out loud funny but still not as good as the Dudley Moore version. 3 1/2 stars.

I Am Number Four - some good sci fi potential but spoiled by trying to make it a teen love story at the same time. 3 stars.

[quote="Corki, post:3, topic:258155"]
This weekend we watched two movies:

Arthur (the new one) - laugh out loud funny but still not as good as the Dudley Moore version. 3 1/2 stars.

I Am Number Four - some good sci fi potential but spoiled by trying to make it a teen love story at the same time. 3 stars.

[/quote]

I'd actually say SF+teen love story is hard to screw up—there's a whole anime genre, called "super girlfriend" stories, built around the combination—but never put it past Hollywood to screw up a sure thing.

The last movie I went to was Green Lantern, which wasn't nearly as bad as every stupid critic said it was. Frankly I liked it because it didn't dumb itself down for the people who haven't read the comics (but if you think that had too much exposition, dude, they didn't mention the Book of Oa or the Source Walls once, nor the fact that the Guardians were originally just the male half of their species). The other thing that was stupid about the critics was how they said there was too much CGI: but the GL Corps are all aliens, except for 4 humans, and aliens are not going to look like humans in rubber suits. Tomar-Re (bipedal fish-guy) was, frankly, perfect.

I just watched Transformers 3 : Dark of the Moon.
typical over produced action, but i liked it better than the previous two films.

Rented a flick with Robert Duval and Michael Cain, based mostly on the cast. Never heard of the movie before. Its called "Second Hand Lions".

WOW!!!!!

Absolutely love it! Haley Joe Osmet and Kira Sedgewick are in it too. Really excellent film. I highly reccomend it.

Inception was a really cool movie. I hear some people thought it was confusing, but if you are into sci-fi action films this is a really good one. As the descriptions suggest, it is about a professional thief who steals information from people’s sub-conscious [their dreams, to be precise]. I’d give it 8.5 out of 10. Very thought-provoking if you are big on philosophy and science.

Legend of the Guardians was a great movie with the best animation graphics I’ve ever seen in my life thus far. It’s definitely more for the younger generation but if you appreciate those then you should like this one. It has a few scary moments that wouldn’t be appropriate for smaller children, but I as a 16 year old male actually found kind of exciting [then again, I was just completely enthralled with the graphics]. I’d give it 8 out of 10.

Fantastic Mr. Fox was absolutely hilarious and is probably my favorite animated movie of all time. Many people said they didn’t like it though, so it depends on your sense of humor. Of course I give it 9 out of 10.

RED Also completely hilarious and one of the best action-comedies ever [alongside Get Smart]. No sexual content as far as I recall, which was a big plus. It has Bruce Willis, John Malcovich, and Morgan Freeman, which says it all. 9 out of 10.

Young Victoria about queen Victoria. But some time this week I will be watching St. Francis and the Miracle of Fatimia

[quote="Neildown, post:7, topic:258155"]
Inception was a really cool movie. I hear some people thought it was confusing, but if you are into sci-fi action films this is a really good one. As the descriptions suggest, it is about a professional thief who steals information from people's sub-conscious [their dreams, to be precise]. I'd give it 8.5 out of 10. Very thought-provoking if you are big on philosophy and science.

Fantastic Mr. Fox was absolutely hilarious and is probably my favorite animated movie of all time. Many people said they didn't like it though, so it depends on your sense of humor. Of course I give it 9 out of 10.

[/quote]

Greetings Neildown,

I will check out these two movies. Thanks for the recommendations.

To those who have posted in this thread,

Thank guys, keep posting. There's quite a bit in the movies that you listed that have caught my attention.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit

[quote="77stanthony77, post:8, topic:258155"]
Young Victoria about queen Victoria. But some time this week I will be watching St. Francis and the Miracle of Fatimia

[/quote]

I loved that movie. A previous poster mentioned Second Hand Lions, which I also thoroughly enjoyed.

We just watched Bridesmaids this past weekend and I haven't laughed like that in a looong time. It might not be for some people's tastes though. My taste in movies are all over the board, I'm not easily offended.

no TV at home just now so when I visited they were watching taped movies, Preacher's Wife (Denzil Washington makes a cute angel) and Pay it Forward, a tearjerker but with a message in line with the gospels of the last couple of weeks.

[quote="SMOM, post:6, topic:258155"]
Rented a flick with Robert Duval and Michael Cain, based mostly on the cast. Never heard of the movie before. Its called "Second Hand Lions".

WOW!!!!!

Absolutely love it! Haley Joe Osmet and Kira Sedgewick are in it too. Really excellent film. I highly reccomend it.

[/quote]

I absolutely love this movie!!!! We have owned it ever since it came out on dvd forever ago!!!

I saw Beauty and the Beast, which I have seen many times before but we just bought it on dvd and it is so amazing and funny and beautiful!!! And my younger brother loves it too, which is just surprising because he is 18!!!

Then I saw Taken with Liam Neeson, kind of suspenseful in some parts, but it was a good movies!

[quote="JustRebecca, post:13, topic:258155"]
I saw Beauty and the Beast, which I have seen many times before but we just bought it on dvd and it is so amazing and funny and beautiful!!! And my younger brother loves it too, which is just surprising because he is 18!!!

Then I saw Taken with Liam Neeson, kind of suspenseful in some parts, but it was a good movies!

[/quote]

Greetings JustRebecca,

I am watching most of the Disney movies for the first time. They are great and make a great wind down activity for the weekend.

I have not seen the two that you are talking about, but I will check into those too.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit

Greetings to those posting and or reading this thread,

I have watched several.

One Night with the King - I liked this very much.
Shawshank Redemption
The Sixth Sense
A Beautiful Mind
Haichi

Both the last two movies had a haunting sound track. I am considering getting both soundtracks. Out of the list that I liked the most One Night with the King and A Beautiful Mind. Haichi is a very moving movie.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit

The last movie we saw was “Cowboys & Aliens”. Didn’t love, didn’t hate it. Without Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig however, it would have been a total dog. I guess I can call it just a puppy. :shrug:

Something Wicked This Way Comes
It wasn’t as good as the book.

Movies. I haven’t seen any of those in a while. Unless you count the hour-long “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse” episodes that my daughter likes to watch over and over.

One real movie that I remember liking was “Throne of Blood”. I saw it at the Music Box theater in Chicago about 8-10 years ago, part of a Kurosawa retrospective they were running. It’s a Japanese retelling of “Macbeth”. Quite striking, as are the other Kurosawa films I’ve seen.

Haven’t been to a movie theatre in a while, however, my youngest son and I went to see “Dolphin Tale”.

I love dolphins and the movie was based on a true story, with “'Winter” (the dolphin) playing herself.

I have saved seewinter.com and get my “dophin fix” before heading to work! They have live webcams hooked up so viewers can watch her and her two other dolphin friends. It brings gladness in my heart. :heart:

I would give it * * * * * Additionally, it is great to take your kids to see.

Captain America

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.