What movies make you CRY?

Many movies make me cry because they are so bad, but only one makes me cry (well, misty-eyed actually since real men don’t cry ;)) because it is so good: “The Mission” from 1986.

It makes me misty-eyed for several reasons:
-The plight of the innocent Guarani caught between the Portugese and Spanish colonists
-The Church being torn apart back in Europe
-The strength, conviction, and selfless evangelistic zeal of the Jesuits
-The love triangle involving the two brothers
-The whole issue of sin and redemption of the Robert DeNiro character

but mostly…it makes me cry (misty-eyed) because it reminds me of how far so many Jesuits have fallen from the towering ideals exemplified by their forefathers in this movie. :frowning:

“The Mission” chokes me up, too. “The Passion of the Christ,” however, kills me. I find it esp. wrenching when the Holy One falls under the weight of the Cross and the Blessed Mother flashes back to Him falling as a Child. The Romans and some of the Jews harrassing Him on the way to Calvary gets to me. I always think, “Just let Him get on with it!”

Wow, you’re right. I don’t know how I forgot “The Passion of the Christ.”

omg tons of movies make me cry.

Let’s see if I can list a lot of them: :smiley:

various scenes in some of the Harry Potter films can make me cry
Lord of the Rings - all 3 can make me cry
The Chronicles of Narnia - both make me cry
Dead Poets Society
Bella
Jane Eyre
Finding Neverland
Nanny McPhee (the end always tears me up, because of the mother)
Bridge to Terebithia (the new one made me cry my eyes out…)
The Waterhorse
The Phantom of the Opera
West Side Story
Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Fiddler on the Roof
Brother Sun, Sister Moon (for some reason that old movie makes me cry…)
Gaudalupe
Cyrano de Bergerac (I think it’s the 1990 version)
Dragonheart
Miss Potter
Jane Eyre (2006 version)
The Robe

…I think that’s a good enough list, haha. :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

(oh, it’s not a movie, but the finale for Season 2 of BBC’s Robin Hood made me CRY omg. :frowning: argh.)

Dumbo, when his mother is taken away
and of course, Bambi
How Green was my Valley
Lassie Come Home

Took the words right out of my mouth. This scene made me pour my eyes out in my date’s arms. Even when I rewatched it this year right before Easter, that scene got to me (along with the scene with Mary listening to him while he was trapped in a pit.

Here’s a great video that captures Mary’s agony: It uses clips from The Passion of The Christ set to Evanescence’s My Immortal. This will make you cry too! youtube.com/watch?v=0i-wupPJZIk

But oh yeah, movies. I don’t usually cry a lot, but the movie Crash (winner of Best Picture for a VERY good reason) did. Without giving away anything, someone gets shot near the end of the movie. Those who have seen it know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Okay, I’m probably the only person who you will ever hear say this, but “Donnie Darko.”

I cry everytime the credits roll.

I’m not one for crying in movies, but Fiddler on the Roof gets me every time. You know Topol (Tevye) was only 35 at the time the movie was made??? Great acting job :clapping:

And just that scene in *The Patriot *with Mel Gibson - the little girl hasn’t talked at all since her mother’s death and Mel’s character (her father) keeps trying to get her to talk. Then he is about to go off to war and she finally starts crying and says 'I’ll say anything you want, just don’t go!" Makes me :bighanky: just thinking about it.

Old Yeller. :crying::crying:

And I agree about the new Bridge to Terabithia. What a tear-jerker, mainly the ending when the father and the son are in the woods. :crying:

We went to see this movie because I have a huge crush on the actor, Robert Patrick (he played the father in the movie). During the touching ending, EVERYONE in the theater, including all the men, including my husband, were crying. It sounded just like a funeral in that theater! Everyone, that is…except me! After the movie, my husband said, “Well, the reason you weren’t crying is that you were lusting after Robert Patrick!”

Interestingly, at the premiere of the movie, the author of the book, Katherine Paterson, told Robert Patrick that the scene in the woods was done EXACTLY as she had envisioned it when she wrote the novel. Good job by the actors!

Several movies make me cry, but the number one is It’s A Wonderful Life. That part whenever he’s on the bridge and says “Clarence! I want to live again clarence!” and then whenever he goes back home and all of his friends come in, and his little brother makes the toast “To my big brother George. The biggest man in town.” man I’m tearing up just thinking about that.

Other close runners up are:
Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Marley and Me
The Notebook

The end of Man on Fire when Dakota Fanning is running across the bridge scremain “CREASY!!!” and the little moment they share afterword.

I could probably find at least one moment in every single movie I’ve ever seen that would at least get my vision blurry. :slight_smile:

The Notebook
The Kite Runner
Rudy
Schindler’s List
World Trade Center
The Love Letter ('98 Hallmark version)
We Are Marshall
Somewhere in Time
The Passion of the Christ

plus others. It goes without saying I’m a pretty emotional person. :smiley:

“Where the Red Fern Grows”. I saw it with a room full of Marines, and not a dry eye in the house when it was over! :bighanky:

Au revoir les enfants. :crying:

Two Women, with Sophia Loren :bighanky:

Cinema Paradiso

Steel Magnolias

The Passion of the Christ: Particularly when Mary runs to Jesus as he’s carrying the cross.
Bella: Warning Spoiler:/] When the girl gets hit by the car, and the end when Nina meets Bella [/End Spoiler]
WALL·E: The ending. Full stop.
Gran Torino: Again, the ending.

Can’t get through these without bawling:

8 Seconds
Steel Magnolias
The Joy Luck Club
Rocky Balboa
Dumbo (even just hearing “Baby Mine” will get me going!)
The Trouble with Angels (when Sister Ligouri dies… everytime!)

and quite a few that were already mentioned.

The only movie I remember crying at was The Tigger Movie which I saw when I was 6. Marley and Me almost made me cry.

“Up” Just saw it & cried. Not saying much if a movie makes me cry,but it is a great movie. You know what else? Not one innappropriate word or joke, either. Awesome!

Just thinking about that scene makes me cry.

Titanic movie make me cry.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.