What Muslims should protest against ... but don't

I found an interesting article and i thought i’ll post it, As a Muslim myself i agree with this article. Have a nice read.

jidal.wordpress.com/2007/05/08/protest/

From the article (my comments):

1. Poverty:
    (Charity is) for Fuqara (the poor), who in Allahs Cause are restricted (from travel), and cannot move about in the land (for trade or work). The one who knows them not, thinks that they are rich because of their modesty. You may know them by their mark, they do not beg of people at all. And whatever you spend in good, surely Allah knows it well.
    ( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #273)

(Can you show that the poor and charity is for both Muslims and non-Muslims, or that such charity is not restricted to Muslims only?)

1. Honor killing
    And those who invoke not any other ilah (god) along with Allah, nor kill such life as Allah has forbidden, except for just cause, nor commit illegal sexual intercourse and whoever does this shall receive the punishment.
    ( سورة الفرقان , Al-Furqan, Chapter #25, Verse #68)

(It is the “just cause” that has most Mohammedans confused maybe. What is the just cause of allah?)

1. Child labor
    (I suppose if a child can marry and have sex under the age of 10, why can’t they be made to work?)

2. Suppression of cultures
    And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah) and (all and every kind of) worship is for Allah (Alone). But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimoon (the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)
    ( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #193)

(What is the manner in which Mohammedans understand “if they cease”, and this appears to be limited- not for every non-Muslim?

1. Death fatwas by the religious authority
    (Who should give death fatwas?)

2. (missed)

3. Terrorism
    (I think you might be in the small minority)

I am really busy at the moment so i can’t write you much of a reply now but i know for sure that charity is not restricted to Muslims only, have you ever heard of Islamic Relief, tehy are a charity and they provide for both Muslims and non muslims.

Come back when you ready, Icia! Oh bring some muslim friends here would be nice :thumbsup:

1.charity ain’t restricted to Muslims only, here is an ayah regarding this issue.
“They ask you (O Muhammad) what they should spend in charity. Say: ‘Whatever you spend with a good heart, give it to parents, relatives, orphans, the helpless, and travellers in need. Whatever good you do, God is aware of it.’” - The Holy Quran, 2:215
As you can see, religion is not mentioned here.

2.Islam does not condone honor killing, the ayah you have quoted is referring to death sentence for those who are MARRIED and commit illegal sexual intercourse with the another person.

3.During that time, once a man or woman reached puberty, they were eligible for marriage. Though it is not practiced in many societies today, it was practiced during those times in Arabia and the rest of the Middle East, and in Europe.

Though Prophet Muhammad has been maligned for this marriage, he had no history of committing illegal sexual acts, nor did he lust or fantasize about anyone. Besides this marriage, all his other marriages were to women 17 years and older; some of them were widows. Except for one, all of the marriages were to spread and pass on Islam by creating and strengthening relations (Prophet Muhammad married his first wife Khadijah after she proposed to him; this marriage took place before his Prophethood). This was also a reason why Prophet Muhammad had three of his daughters married to Uthman and Ali, who would become the last two caliphs of Islam. I must say I don’t agree with him marrying her that young and find it myself as a muslim disturbing (not something people would hear a muslim saying but I am myself soul searching and don’t know much about my own religion and others mainly because I haven’t been bothered before until now at the age of 16, having the summer holiday starting for just now I have time to read the quran and maybe the bible) but there is a good argument also which states that Aisha got married to Mohamed at the age of seventeen.

Some background information, he rejects the hadiths in Bukhari that say she was 9 because they all go back to one person who, although he was trustworthy, suffered from bad memory at later age.

It is known that between the marriage contract and Aisha’s moving to the Prophet’s household, there was a 3-year gab during which she stayed with her parents.

It is also known that her moving to the Prophet’s household took place in the first or second year after migration from Makkah to Madina. It is also known that the Makkan period lasted for 13 years, and the famous biographer Ibn Is-haq lists the name of Aisha among the very early persons who accepted Islam in the first few months of the Prophet’s mission. If we were to add a minimum age of Aisha to understand what she was accepting, say 4 + the 13 years in Makkah + 1 or 2 years in Madina, it adds up probably to 19 years and not only 9, which is the number reported in Al-Bukhari.

While the above is more than enough, it is noted also that many historians have debated the age of Aisha when she married the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). One is that some say that Aisha died at the age of 50 after migration, at the age of 67, which means that she was born 17 years old before migration, and since her marriage was consummated one or two years after migration, it must have taken place at the age of 19.

It is also known that her sister Asmaa was 10 years her senior. It is interesting to note that Asmaa died in the year 73 after migration, at the age of 100, this means she was born 27 years before migration (100-73). Since she was 10 years older, then Aisha was born 17 years before migration, which is consistent with these other reports.
islamonline.net/livedialo…GuestID=s905I1

4.I think Fitna has a much broader meaning then what’s mentioned in that translation. But I don’t know much in this regard, I just know that if the country is ruled by sharia, then non-muslims can live freely and are entitled equally to all rights. However, they must pay tax. In a case where a non-muslim is hurt or his property is damaged by muslims, and the local authority fails to protect him, then he is due back his taxes that he paid. *

5.a Mufti can give a fatwa. To become a mufti, you have to memorize the quran and also memorize all books of Hadeeth. Now adays it takes about 8 to 10 years to become a Mufti. A pre-requisite for becoming a Qazi [judge] is to be a Mufti first.

1. I don’t think I am in the minority at all, every Muslim I know denounces terrorism. E.g. if we take the sep 11 attacks many Muslims died too, I don’t know why anyone would agree with killing innocents. But anyways that’s just your opinion, maybe you have been watching too much Fox news (fair and balanced news what a joke).*

Icia,

I don’t wish to start some heated debate, but as I am constantly reading on this forum about the biased Western media, I am curious if you can provide us with some concrete examples of media bias or erroneous reporting?

We would be fools to believe everything we read or hear, but I have yet to see any real evidence of media bias offered on this forum. On poster here claimed the school fire in Saudi Arabia were several girls lost their lives several years ago was a Western media fabrication, but when I showed him Saudi sources confirming the details reported by the Western media he simply ignored my post and changed the subject.

Thanks.

An example would be the reporting of the incident however, implying that what happened was considered acceptable there. There was very little coverage about the huge outrage this created throughout Arabia, the severe criticism the religious police got from local newspapers (this happening is very rare), the numerous enquiries demanded by the government and the sacking of the cleric running the education system (a cleric being sacked in Saudi Arabia is very **very **rare, so when it happens you know someone must have *seriously *screwed up).

I can not recall that implacation, but that has been some time ago and perhaps you are right. Do you have any more recent examples to share? Thank you.

Actually, I recall reading in the press about the outrage this cased in Arabia. As I recall the firemen, parents and others no the scene were arguing (and I think even fighting) with those who locked up the school. I do recall that few Muslims supported what happened at that school.

I wish there was more to your profile. Ain’t ain’t a word often used by Muslims.

No, religion is not mentioned, but that proves little. Find one that does, and it is likely qualified to specify Muslims only. When I find the verse I am thinking of I will let you know, but much of the Quran makes a clear distinction that the believer and unbeliever, and how to deal with them in this life and the next. Offering those who do not believe a helping hand when they are in need does not make an appearance in the Koran. Why help someone who you are forbidden to make friends with?

2.Islam does not condone honor killing, the ayah you have quoted is referring to death sentence for those who are MARRIED and commit illegal sexual intercourse with the another person.

That is debatable. Do you approve of the death sentence for a married man who cheats on his wife?

3.During that time, once a man or woman reached puberty, they were eligible for marriage. Though it is not practiced in many societies today, it was practiced during those times in Arabia and the rest of the Middle East, and in Europe.

That too is debatable. The biggest difference is that is not in the NT because it is unsavory in any age or region. Are you suggesting verses of the Qur’an could be outdated?

Though Prophet Muhammad has been maligned for this marriage, he had no history of committing illegal sexual acts, nor did he lust or fantasize about anyone.

Why shouldn’t he be maligned for it? I think it pretty clear he lusted after Zaynab. That’s twisted to steal the wife of his son. Adoption has never been the same in Mohammedan culture since.

Besides this marriage, … I must say I don’t agree with him marrying her that young and find it myself as a muslim disturbing (not something people would hear a muslim saying but I am myself soul searching and don’t know much about my own religion and others mainly because I haven’t been bothered before until now at the age of 16, …

16? I glossed over this the first time I read it.

having the summer holiday starting for just now I have time to read the quran and maybe the bible) but there is a good argument also which states that Aisha got married to Mohamed at the age of seventeen.

No. It is not a good argument. If you are going to trust the Koran as the perfect word of God, and hadith as true accounts of Mohammads life; either accept or reject them. I vote to reject.

Unfortunately, Islamic charities have been frequently exploited by terrorist organizations.

In Christianity, stoning adulterous women is just as wrong as “honor killing”.

**John 8:1-12 **

1But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11"No one, sir," she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

The reason that the legal age for a man to have intercourse with a female in Islamic law is “9 lunar years”, is that that is the age at which Muhammed first had intercourse with Aisha. Unders Sharia law, children as young as 9 can also be executed for homosexuality.

Though Prophet Muhammad has been maligned for this marriage, he had no history of committing illegal sexual acts, nor did he lust or fantasize about anyone.

That is because what would be called a “one-night stand” in our culture, is called a “temporary marriage” in Islam.

Besides this marriage, all his other marriages were to women 17 years and older; some of them were widows.

Wasn’t one of his wives his daughter-in-law, whom he was moved to marry after accidentally seeing her undressed?

allah means many moon gods which they should protest to

ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3418706,00.html 6 percent of palinstinians support u.s. war on terror

I heard a report on National Public Radio Tuesday evening about the attempted bombings in England. The first mention of Muslims was not about the suspects, but about the outcry from British Muslims about this and that they do not support violance. Is that not non-biased reporting? I really have to wonder if there are more examples of bias than non-bias reporting and if the whole “media bias” is not just a strawman to cover up an embarassing truth.

Islam definitely in my view needs to do much, much more to very strongly condemn violence done in the name of religion and Islamist terrorism. There also needs to be a lot done to curb Wahabism and Salafism and Shia extremism, and also more needs to be done to recognise and protect the rights of religious minorities to personal safety and freedom to worship.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.