What must I do to be saved/enlightened/etc...?

In your religion what is it that I must do to be saved? And what would your religion call that? In short, from your POV what do I, as a human, need to do in this life, or what do I need to believe in order to get the best outcome after death? And what is that called: salvation, satori, enlightenment…

This isn’t an invite for proselytizing, but rather an invite to offer a straightforward or step-by-step description of what you would say to an individual asking that question. I would be interested in reading your individual perspectives even if you are a fellow Christian, protestant, etc…

Careful! “Your religion”? Really? If you are Christian, then it is the same religion, but practiced differently.

Salvation: God’s grace by our faith in Him. But, we must cooperate with His grace.

Acts 16:31

We call it “salvation”.

You would need to believe in God, be baptized, valid baptism, in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. You would need to be a part of God’s Church, the instrument through which he works. We believe the “Church” is the original one he established, the Catholic Church, that it is the only Church established by Christ, that those which are not in “communion” with it are in schism, excommunicating themselves with perhaps their only means of salvation. We are to receive the sacraments. In the Catholic Church, we believe there are 7 sacraments.

We believe we need a number of things…to have faith, persist to the end, to live a good life, obey the commandments…10 commandments and then the 2 from Christ…love God above all things and our neighbor as ourselves. We are to do good works…feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, visit the sick, bury the dead, etc.

We call these the 7 corporal works of mercy and 7 spiritual works of mercy.

We should pray for ourselves and each other, read scripture.

We should avoid sin, even temptation of sin. When we fall, we are to repent, confess our sins…to a priest, the designated representative of Christ for absolution and guidance.

We need to forgive others, so that we may be forgiven.

We believe we are to listen to, and heed, the prophets and other representatives of the Church, such as the priests, pope and Magisterium. We believe that to disobey them, after Christ established their authority by giving Peter the keys of the kingdom, giving him authority to bid on earth and heaven, the apostles authority to forgive sin, that if we refuse to avail ourselves of the sacraments from them, we are refusing Christ.

When they were sent out, they were told that what they did to these representatives, they did to Christ. We believe that people who will not obey priests or the pope, are disobeying Christ, who sent them, established the priesthood and papacy.

The exact order of the sacraments would be Baptism…Reconciliation/Confession, First
Holy Communion, Confirmation…depending Matrimony/Holy Orders…Anointing of the Sick/previously known as the Last Rites.

If anyone can do these things, they’d have a good start! :wink:

To that I add: Acts 2:21;Romans 10:13; 1 Peter 3:21
:smiley:

Among others…
Mt 25:31-36 and clarified by Mt 25:41-43

Here are three verses that would encapsulate most if not all of LDS theology on this topic.

Ecclesiastes 12:13 (KJV) Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

John 17:3 (KJV) And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

D&C 14:7 And, if you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God.

I hope this helps.

Thanks to all who have responded thus far! I love having the answer straight from individuals from different backgounds to see the different perspectives.

We are in the “non-Catholic” religions forum. There are people here from many many religions and faiths, I wanted everyone to answer from their perspective. Not insult meant or implied. :curtsey:

I haven’t heard these grouped in such a way before. Would someone care to list each 7? I know I could Google it, but I always think it’s better to see how people believe and/or apply something like this in the midst of conversation. Would these things be said to flow from faith and belief, or would they be said to actually contribute to an individual’s salvation?

[quote=Kliska] Quote:

Originally Posted by ClearWater

We call these the 7 corporal works of mercy and 7 spiritual works of mercy.

I haven’t heard these grouped in such a way before. Would someone care to list each 7? I know I could Google it, but I always think it’s better to see how people believe and/or apply something like this in the midst of conversation. Would these things be said to flow from faith and belief, or would they be said to actually contribute to an individual’s salvation?
[/quote]

Good works increase our justification.

Trent:

having, therefore, been thus justified and made the friends and domestics of God,[49] advancing from virtue to virtue,[50] they are renewed, as the Apostle says, day by day,[51] that is, mortifying the members[52] of their flesh, and presenting them as instruments of justice unto sanctification,[53] they, through the observance of the commandments of God and of the Church, faith cooperating with good works, increase in that justice received through the grace of Christ and are further justified, as it is written:

He that is just, let him be justified still;[54] and, Be not afraid to be justified even to death;[55] and again, Do you see that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only?[56]

This increase of justice holy Church asks for when she prays: “Give unto us, O Lord, an increase of faith, hope and charity.”[57]

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Here is a specific RCC position on your followup question on “flow from faith or belief”.

Trent, cannons concerning justification:

Canon 24.

If anyone says that the justice received is not preserved and also not increased before God through good works,[125] but that those works are merely the fruits and signs of justification obtained, but not the cause of its increase, let him be anathema.

Canon 25.

Man must commune with God.

Thanks for the information. Does anyone care to share about the 7 and 7 specifically?

The Corporal Works of Mercy

• Feed the hungry
  • Give drink to the thirsty
  • Clothe the naked
  • Shelter the homeless
  • Visit the sick
  • Visit the imprisoned
  • Bury the dead

The Spiritual Works of Mercy

• Admonish the sinner
  • Instruct the ignorant
  • Counsel the doubtful
  • Comfort the sorrowful
  • Bear wrongs patiently
  • Forgive all injuries
  • Pray for the living and the dead

Cool :cool: Thanks!

I am just another Catholic on a Catholic forum, so my ideas may not be very interesting. I think that your heart is where your mind is. What you think about most in life is where your heart is, and this is what attends us when we leave this life. Therefore, I have learned from a person whom I personally consider to be very wise that we should think only of God, because if that is where your mind is, that is where your heart will be when we shed our temporal being,
and it will be He who attends us. I think that death is a lot like when we are dreaming, and we dream about what was on our minds all day, and if we don’t see God in life, we won’t see Him in death. If the Kingdom of Heaven is within us, then perhaps so is hell. We make our own heaven when we take time to see God. The good news is that He is hidden in plain view.

Now this sounds rather difficult, because there are so many things in this world to look at, so many experiences and so many people and things to love. I follows that it must be awfully hard to think only of God, but I think it’s very possible when we do our best to see God in all things, all beings and all people. When we see this, then we see God all the time and we thereby think of God all the time, and this will be where your heart will be, and God will be what attends you when you leave the world of the incarnate.

This is the path I have been taking in this life, but I know there are many other paths. Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Gary

My bad. :o

Morning friend!

“Can a person get ‘saved’ in the Episcopal Church?”

The answer is an absolute “YES!” Often, there is the follow up question, “When were you saved?” My response is “I was saved in the year 33AD by a man hanging on a cross between heaven and earth on a filthy hillside just outside of Jerusalem, and I am being saved as this same man, who rose in victory over the grave and death, lives to interceed for me at the right hand of God. And more, I will be saved when he comes again in glory to judge the living and the dead–pick one, but I live in all three catogories according to the Scriptures…”

1. We believe salvation begins with baptism. In baptism we are reborn by the Holy Spirit. (So, if anyone asks you if you are born again, the answer can always be “yes” if you are baptized.

2. The salvation process is nurtured by the Eucharist.

3. As already mentioned there is continual growth. We stumble and fall, and then pick ourselves up again and keep on going. We stray and we return. As we receive communion we should say: “Out with self, out with envy, out with anger and self-centeredness, out with greed. In with Jesus, in with love, in with compassion, in with patience, in with understanding, in with love.” Our goal is to be able to say with Saint Paul: “It is not I, but Christ who is within me.”

4. Finally, honesty with ourselves is paramount. If life is a continuing process toward salvation, then continual repentance is key. And there is no true repentance without brutal honesty with oneself. You can’t fake repentance.

Well, we’re not into the whole ‘salvation’ business, of course, it’s a Christian thing.

As to hopes for the ‘World To Come’ (for everybody not just Jews), I think the best advice comes in Micah -

He has told you, O man, what is good,
And what the Lord requires of you:
Only to do justice
And to love goodness,
And to walk modestly with your God,
Then will your name achieve wisdom.

Micah 6:8

See how Catholics proclaim we are saved:

By believing in Christ (Jn 3:16; Acts 16:31)

By repentance (Acts 2:38; 2 Pet 3:9)

By baptism (Jn 3:5; 1 Pet 3:21; Titus 3:5)

By eating his flesh and drinking his blood (Jn 6)

By the work of the Spirit (Jn 3:5; 2 Cor 3:6)

By declaring with our mouths (Lk 12:8; Rom 10:9)

By coming to a knowledge of the truth (1 Tim 2:4; Heb 10:26)

By works (Rom 2:6-7; James 2:24)

By grace (Acts 15:11; Eph 2:8)

By his blood (Rom 5:9; Heb 9:22)

By his righteousness (Rom 5:17; 2 Pet 1:1)

By keeping the commandments (Matt 19:17)

By our words (Matt 12:37)

By enduring to the end (Matt.24:13)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.