What must one do to be saved

How are we saved like what must we do to get salvation?

Assurance of Salvation?

catholic.com/tracts/assurance-of-salvation

Provided here on Catholic Answers. It may not answer all of your questions, but it should be a good beginning.

And he (John the Baptist) would answer and say to them, “The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise.” Luke 3:11

Also, Christ said to obey the commandments. We are also to love God with all our heart, mind and strength (above anything or anyone else) and our neighbor as ourselves.

We are also to perform the corporal works of mercy.

We are to believe and be baptized, repent of our sins.

We are to receive the Eucharist.

We are to believe in Jesus.

Repent, believe in the Gospel, get baptized, confess post-baptismal sins (repeat this step as often as necessary).

According to Catholic theology: die in a state of grace. “What is it?”, you ask. It’s being in a state where there is no mortal sin on your soul, or if there is one you have a firm intention to repent from it and to go to the confessional asap. A mortal sin is a serious sin that severs your loving relationship with God, but for a fault to be deadly it needs to be objectively grave matter (1st condition), you need to give your full consent (2nd condition) to committing that sin and you need to have full knowledge (3rd condition) that you’re committing a deadly transgression. BUT, beware because things are not as plain as that. If you harden your heart and decide that this or that is no longer a grievous sin, then you’re not off the hook. You have hardened your heart and conscience, you have essentially deceived yourself. Those who deceive themselves and who are not invincibly ignorant will hear this when they face Jesus the judge “I never knew you”. When God gives up on you, things are hopeless, the “future” bleak and dismal.

Believe in Jesus, be baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and keep the commandments. Amen

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
This is the best answer to this question I have read in a long time. It corresponds with what I learned almost 70 years ago in a Jesuit Parochial School.
Regardless of what people think changed with V II, some things never change!

Be baptised, be within the Catholic Church, and die in a state of grace.

Taking off on ClearWater’s and other’s explanations: our faith, with the sacraments, the cloud of witnesses who’ve gone before us, and church teachings, have one purpose, to help us to know God (the virtue of faith), to place our trust in Him (the virtue of hope) and thereby to come to love Him with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength and our neighbor as ourselves. To the extent that we love this way, there’s nothing in us that separates us from God-our justice is complete; we’re in a state of grace. Faith, hope, and love-and the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13

My posts very seldom elicit such a reaction. :slight_smile: If you learned it nearly 70 years ago in a Jesuit Parochial School, then it tells me I at least got that part about theology right. Thank you.

So is your state of grace Devine or a man made grace. If it’s Devine then it’s all by God hand and you can take no credit for it . And if it a man made state of grace - we’ll I don’t need to say anymore - just pat yourself on the back and take credit for it all if that’s what you believe.

All grace is from God alone. :shrug: I don’t know anyone who would assert otherwise.

Minor Correction: Receive Christian Baptism (in ANY Christian Church) and die in a state of Grace. Nobody is ever required to “be within the Catholic Church” (in an outward and visible sense) in order to inherit Heaven. This is the Doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Two relevant blog posts.

[LIST]
*]How Is A Catholic Saved?
*]Who REALLY Preaches “A Different Gospel”?
[/LIST]

You are right about any Christian baptism (but I allowed for that because I just said “be baptised” and not sacramentally baptised Catholic). However, the Church doctrine is that there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church. That means you must be within the Catholic Church to be saved (and being within the Catholic Church can be achieved in various ways).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.