What my Priest told me in Confession-this cant be right can it!?

In my last Confession my priest told me it is not a sin to put myself on an o ccasion of sin.and he also told me i just have to confess the 'kind' of sin not the number. For example: if i have been prideful 7 times i just go to Confession and confess: ive been prideful. And thats it. Is that right?i dont enjoy not trusting my confessor, but i have always heard u hav to confess number and kind (not just number) and u hav to avoid all near occasions of sin.
Thanks!

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:1, topic:326847"]
In my last Confession my priest told me it is not a sin to put myself on an o ccasion of sin.and he also told me i just have to confess the 'kind' of sin not the number. For example: if i have been prideful 7 times i just go to Confession and confess: ive been prideful. And thats it. Is that right?i dont enjoy not trusting my confessor, but i have always heard u hav to confess number and kind (not just number) and u hav to avoid all near occasions of sin.
Thanks!

[/quote]

A near occasion of sin is not a sin. If it was a sin, it wouldn't be called a near occasion, it would just be called sin. You should avoid near occasions of sin because it could lead you to sin. But, no, it is not a sin. :)

One must confess mortal sins in kind and number. You do not have to do this with venial sins. :thumbsup:

Oh wow, I'm the opposite, I was told to just confess sins. Numbers were never even mentioned. well, confued , I am now.:shrug:

God bless

[quote="jesuspsr, post:3, topic:326847"]
Oh wow, I'm the opposite, I was told to just confess sins. Numbers were never even mentioned. well, confued , I am now.:shrug:

God bless

[/quote]

Well i was told to confess just sins too. No numbers. So i think were the same. :shrug:

[quote="jesuspsr, post:3, topic:326847"]

God bless

[/quote]

Example: I committed [name mortal sin] seven times (or an approximate if you don't know the number).

[quote="Zekariya, post:5, topic:326847"]
Example: I committed [name mortal sin] seven times (or an approximate if you don't know the number).

[/quote]

Oh well. Thats not what the priest told me. So tonight im going to Confession im juwt going to say how many times i committed the sin anyway even though he tokd me not to. Do i have the right to be disobedient here? Thanks! Also would it invalidate a Confession to not say the number.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:6, topic:326847"]
Oh well. Thats not what the priest told me. So tonight im going to Confession im juwt going to say how many times i committed the sin anyway even though he tokd me not to. Do i have the right to be disobedient here? Thanks! Also would it invalidate a Confession to not say the number.

[/quote]

One only needs to say the number with mortal sins. Accidentally/ignorantly not saying the number does not invalidate the confession. I have no idea about choosing to not say the number. The priest should ask for the number if the penitent does not say it. Remember that the number is only required for mortal sins. If the priest tells you to not say the number again, ask him why. He might have a good reason for saying that. :)

In the 1983 Code of Canon Law we read:

Canon 988 – §1. A member of the Christian faithful is obliged to confess in kind and number all serious sins committed after baptism and not yet directly remitted through the keys of the Church nor acknowledged in individual confession, for which one is conscious after diligent examination of conscience.

[quote="Zekariya, post:7, topic:326847"]
One only needs to say the number with mortal sins. Accidentally/ignorantly not saying the number does not invalidate the confession. I have no idea about choosing to not say the number. The priest should ask for the number if the penitent does not say it. Remember that the number is only required for mortal sins. If the priest tells you to not say the number again, ask him why. He might have a good reason for saying that. :)

[/quote]

He told me my Confessions take too long. Which they are.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:1, topic:326847"]
Thanks!

[/quote]

The Code of Canon Law states:Can. 988 §1. A member of the Christian faithful is **obliged **to confess **in kind and number all grave sins **committed after baptism and not yet remitted directly through the keys of the Church nor acknowledged in individual confession, of which the person has knowledge after diligent examination of conscience.

§2. It is recommended to the Christian faithful that they also confess venial sins.
The Church decrees that you are obliged to confess ALL of your GRAVE sins (a/k/a "mortal sins") in kind AND NUMBER.

Having said that, the example you gave was "pridefulness" -- without having more detail, to me, that sounds like a vice rather than a sin (or, at worst, each instance where you manifested that vice, a venial sin).

Using a different vice as an example, it would be appropriate to talk about "envy" as a vice you are dealing with, but the mortal sin would be if you vandalized your neighbor's yard (which you were envious of) on seven occasions. (or, for example, if you consented to and dwelt on the thought of how to smash his beautiful bay window on three occasions in the past month)

Don't know if that helps or not. Hope it does.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:9, topic:326847"]
He told me my Confessions take too long. Which they are.

[/quote]

In the 1983 Code of Canon Law we read:

Canon 988 – §1. A member of the Christian faithful is obliged to confess in kind and number all serious sins committed after baptism and not yet directly remitted through the keys of the Church nor acknowledged in individual confession, for which one is conscious after diligent examination of conscience.

Perhaps you have mixed some of your venial sins with your mortal sins? Perhaps you could make a list to consolidate your sins and confess faster than having to think of them in your head? 5 this, 7 that, 3 this, etc.

Ok, as for the occasion of sin part: so its not an sin to put yoursepf on an occasion of sin, but after Confession u have to reaolve not to do it anymore? (To avoid it)

God knows the number of times we’ve sinned. In the example of pride you give, I would just word it differently. “I have fallen many times to the sin of pride” as an example. Many times could mean as few as 3 or 4 or as many as 1000. It will ensure that you’re covered :thumbsup:

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:12, topic:326847"]
Ok, as for the occasion of sin part: so its not an sin to put yoursepf on an occasion of sin, but after Confession u have to reaolve not to do it anymore? (To avoid it)

[/quote]

It is not sinful to be in a place that might tempt you to sin but, it is a stupid thing to do. ;) You resolve not to place yourself there because it is not smart at all. A man can go to a strip club and not commit the sin of lust but, it is a stupid thing to do. :D

What about this situation (which im concerned with): i sit with a boy at school and we are like best friends but i tend to end up sinning all the time around him. But im afraid it would be kinda abrupt to just move and not sit wirh him. Maybe even hurt his feelings. But i dont want to sin. There are only a few more days of school anyway. So should i just stay there and try not to sin?

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:6, topic:326847"]

[/quote]

I would not advise being disobedient. Based on canons sited here, perhaps you could ask your confessor whether the sins you committed are veniel or grave. Your confessor perhaps can allieviate the concerns you may have.

Peace to you and my prayer that your confession is a fruitful one. :)

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:15, topic:326847"]
What about this situation (which im concerned with): i sit with a boy at school and we are like best friends but i tend to end up sinning all the time around him. But im afraid it would be kinda abrupt to just move and not sit wirh him. Maybe even hurt his feelings. But i dont want to sin. There are only a few more days of school anyway. So should i just stay there and try not to sin?

[/quote]

Yes, abrupt might not be good. Perhaps you could explain to him that you can't partake in the sinful activity with him? Does he know that you recently became Catholic? If so, he being a good friend should understand that you can't do everything that you used to do. Perhaps you could explain the situation to your confessor? :)

[quote="Zekariya, post:17, topic:326847"]
Yes, abrupt might not be good. Perhaps you could explain to him that you can't partake in the sinful activity with him? Does he know that you recently became Catholic? If so, he being a good friend should understand that you can't do everything that you used to do. Perhaps you could explain the situation to your confessor? :)

[/quote]

I think im just gonna move away more slowly. Like instead of sitting with him in the morning, i'll go eat breakfast maybe. But atleast schools almost over.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:18, topic:326847"]
I think im just gonna move away more slowly. Like instead of sitting with him in the morning, i'll go eat breakfast maybe. But atleast schools almost over.

[/quote]

Sounds good! :thumbsup: Keep prayer on mind and ask help from the Saints. :)

[quote="Zekariya, post:2, topic:326847"]
A near occasion of sin is not a sin. If it was a sin, it wouldn't be called a near occasion, it would just be called sin. You should avoid near occasions of sin because it could lead you to sin. But, no, it is not a sin. :)

One must confess mortal sins in kind and number. You do not have to do this with venial sins. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

:thumbsup:...truth with clarity and charity...I love it...I wish I had more of it for myself.
Pax christi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.