What objects go into making of incense?

Just curious: what ingredients go into the making of liturgical incense?

Are there different kinds of incense?

Do different rites use different kinds?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Resin and fragrant oils. :slight_smile:

The best incense is made of pure and natural ingredients. My church during any service is usually in a fog of smoke from the incense. Once in a while someone sneezes, but otherwise it doesn’t bother anyone. I am serious about this.

holycross-hermitage.com/ Makes some great incense.
There are different flavours of incense. And yes, many people match an incense with a particular theme. Such as using rose smelling incense for Marian feastdays, etc.

[quote=Madaglan]Just curious: what ingredients go into the making of liturgical incense?

Are there different kinds of incense?

Do different rites use different kinds?

Thanks! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

In addition there are different blendings. Most have Frankincense as the main ingredient.

I’ve seen a lot of Priest make their own blends… Last week, got the chance to say to Father
"Father’s homemade incense, just like Mama used to make"
:stuck_out_tongue:

Incense is the most amazing stuff in the world. Frankincense comes from the “incense tree” which grows in the Arabian desert (you know, where the Queen of Sheba came from). Believe me, there aren’t many of them! It’s more like a scrubby bush.

Caravans would come by and score the bark, and the tree bleeds. On the return trip, they harvested the resin, which is not fit for use as incense.

They then score the bark again and leave it for the return trip. This second “bleed” is harvested and sold as second-rate incense. The tree is scored again.

This third “bleed” produces first rate incense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.