What other options than Priesthood are there to serve God?

If one wishes to serve God but also has a strong desire to get married, what alternatives to Priesthood are there? I am told that there are some catholic orders which one can join. I am of noble blood but no longer hold any title so I am not sure whether that is an option. What are the possibilities?

Well, I'm not sure what your bloodline has to do with anything???

As for marriage, it's a holy state, a sacrament & a vocation. It requires levels of charity & dedication ever bit as demanding as the priesthood, but expressed differently.

Hopwever, if you feel called to an ordained ministry, then it is possible to serve as a permanant deacon, a very worthwhile role in the life of a parish, especially in those parishes where no permanant priest resides.

Be a kind and loving husband to your wife. If God so blesses you, be such a father to your children. Those are wonderful vocations and do much to build His kingdom. :)

[quote="Ceremonial, post:1, topic:259145"]
If one wishes to serve God but also has a strong desire to get married, what alternatives to Priesthood are there? I am told that there are some catholic orders which one can join. I am of noble blood but no longer hold any title so I am not sure whether that is an option. What are the possibilities?

[/quote]

Why do people see the priesthood as the only way to serve the Lord? Scripture has one great suggestion...

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 25:31-46[/BIBLEDRB]

You can join a confraternity, or a third order?
You might be called to the permanent diaconate, though your bloodline would only have to di with political stuff, even only then in certain countries, nothing to do with your vocation.

Could you tell me more about what a Deacon is? I don't know much about them, can they get married? What do they do other than read from the bible upon being called?

There is also the Knights of Malta (I do not believe that a noble blood line is required any longer) and the Order Of The Holy Sepulcher.

They are service organizations and it is my understanding that one needs a bit of money to get into them.

San Josemaria Escriva’s Opus Dei! :slight_smile:

[quote="Ceremonial, post:1, topic:259145"]

[/quote]

The very best way to love and serve God is to listen to His Will and follow it. Sometimes discerning God's Will can be difficult and perhaps especially in discerning what He is asking of us for our life's journey, the vocation to which He is calling one - have you thought about seeking spiritual direction? Spiritual direction, indeed, is the best of moves for any person who is seriously committed to the Gospel and to their Baptism and Catholicism i.e. to God.
If you phone your diocesan offices, they should be able to give information on how to find a spiritual director in your diocese. Alternatively, you could make an appointment with the Vocations Director in your diocesan offices.

In answer to a question you posed, Ceremonial. Yes, we do have married deacons in The Church. On this link you will find a series of articles:
deaconsplace.org.au/deacons//index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=15&Itemid=29

Tigger

Well if it helps you can become Catechist. Im 20 and in my 2nd year as a Catechist. I have been told that this is trully a vocation (even though its not a religious order, you dont make like a life commitment or anything like that). But you know, you trully feel you serve God and he trully blesses you for it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.