What Peghole does Biocentrism Fit Into?

beforeitsnews.com/beyond-science/2014/01/quantum-theory-proves-consciousness-moves-to-another-universe-at-death-2445122.html

The author of this publication, scientist Dr. Robert Lanza who was voted the 3rd most important scientist alive by the NY Times, has no doubts that this is possible.

Lanza is an expert in regenerative medicine and scientific director of Advanced Cell Technology Company.

Before he has been known for his extensive research which dealt with stem cells, he was also famous for several successful experiments on cloning endangered animal species.

But not so long ago, the scientist became involved with physics, quantum mechanics and astrophysics.

This explosive mixture has given birth to the new theory of biocentrism, which the professor has been preaching ever since.

Biocentrism teaches that life and consciousness are fundamental to the universe. It is consciousness that creates the material universe, not the other way around.

Lanza points to the structure of the universe itself, and that the laws, forces, and constants of the universe appear to be fine-tuned for life, implying intelligence existed prior to matter.

He also claims that space and time are not objects or things, but rather tools of our animal understanding.

Lanza says that we carry space and time around with us “like turtles with shells.” meaning that when the shell comes off (space and time), we still exist.

The theory implies that death of consciousness simply does not exist. It only exists as a thought because people identify themselves with their body.

They believe that the body is going to perish, sooner or later, thinking their consciousness will disappear too.

If the body generates consciousness, then consciousness dies when the body dies. But if the body receives consciousness in the same way that a cable box receives satellite signals, then of course consciousness does not end at the death of the physical vehicle.

In fact, consciousness exists outside of constraints of time and space. It is able to be anywhere: in the human body and outside of it.

In other words, it is non-local in the same sense that quantum objects are non-local.

It sounds interesting, but is it science, or theology, or philosophy or what?

Is it perhaps the case that ALL knowledge is part of the same field ultimately? Are we creating false dichotomies when we think of science and religion as completely neutral to each other?

I read a little about it a while back. I think it is pseudo-science. It is some scientific-sounding phrases coupled with some new-age fantasies. Just my two cents.

My previous response didn’t really answer the question, so I’ll give it another shot:

from wikipedia article on Idealism:
Monistic idealism holds that consciousness, not matter, is the ground of all being. It is monist because it holds that there is only one type of thing in the universe and idealist because it holds that one thing to be consciousness.

Anaxagoras (480 BC) was known as “Nous” (“Mind”) because he taught that “all things” were created by Mind, that Mind held the cosmos together and gave human beings a connection to the cosmos or a pathway to the divine.

The OP is about science like the double slit experiment, not philosophy. Not sure how they tie together, but then again, that is why I asked.

This is philosophy (and that’s not a bad thing - philosophy is how we arrive at truth. Math and physics are subsets of philosophy).

But, when physics and philosophy cross paths, strange things happen, usually at the expense of philosophy. A possible explanation of the double-slit experiment was proposed by Niels Bohr in his Copenhagen interpretation. This idea was ridiculed by Max Schrödinger, who proposed the thought-experiment of his famous cat (which is both alive and dead at the same “time”) as a reductio ad absurdum challenge to Bohr’s utter foolishness, only to find it EMBRACED by the Bohr crowd, and championed as an EXAMPLE of the philosophically ridiculous idea of quantum superposition.

The competing (and philosophically sound) pilot wave theory is gaining ascendance among physicists. This is a “hidden variable” theory, and the idea of a hidden variable has always been recognized as a valid possible explanation, going back to Einstein. It is the ONLY theory we have that can account for quantum entanglement, which is a proven and reproducible phenomena.

It is not clear to me that it is about science. It’s more like religion. In the view of biocentrism, life and consciousness are the god that created and sustains the universe, and in which we should place our hope for eternity. I think Dr. Robert Lanza is a good communicator and has proven himself adept at embellishing and promoting his philosophy by hooking it into science.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.