What percentage of Catholics use NFP?

First of all, I am not Catholic. I think it is only fair I tell you that. I am curious though as to what percentage of the Catholic Population use NFP. From what I have seen, I would guess it to be 10%.

Catholics who actually chart? I would say 5%, but Catholics who do nothing in regards to birth control 15%. I would think it would be equal with the general population. Catholic is a loose term, all baptized Catholics versus Catholic who participate in the Church on a regular basis.

Also to note when I log onto general NFP sites, there are many Pagan and Feminists that embrace NFP. I guess it is the more holisitc approach to things that we find in common, and many feminists realize that BCP and anything artifical suppresses one’s sexual identity to a artificial mechanism. A good site would be www.tcoyf.com

I have a source that says from a poll taken for the New York Times in 1993, 8 out of 10 Catholics disagreed with the statement “Using artificial means of birth control is wrong”; and nine out of ten said that “someone who practices artificial birth control can still be a good Catholic.”

I have found research that says three to four percent of Catholics use NFP, although instructors in my city say they get a steady stream of people learning the method. The New York Times believes such numbers prove the Church is wrong. All those numbers prove is that Catholics can be as stiff-necked as any other people

[quote=renee1258]Catholics who actually chart? I would say 5%, but Catholics who do nothing in regards to birth control 15%. I would think it would be equal with the general population. Catholic is a loose term, all baptized Catholics versus Catholic who participate in the Church on a regular basis.
[/quote]

I agree that number definetly would depend on the factoring of Catholic by name, or as a whole. But if I was voting on Catholics that I know are truly Catholic or family, friends, coworkers I would have voted 100%.

I know alot of it has to do with your social circle, when I help out with pre-cana I’s assuming that all ladies have been put on BCP probably since the age of 18. I know I was. getting on the Pill sexualy active or not, is a right of passage for any young woman when they get their annual pap smear.

Usually I focus of the benefits of gynocological care, when it comes to NFP. Too many women are getting frustrated when the have a problem the GYN just puts them on the Pill. Also women just gobble up the infomation wishing someone told them this is how their bodies works years back in health ed in middle school.

Also to note when I log onto general NFP sites, there are many Pagan and Feminists that embrace NFP. I guess it is the more holisitc approach to things that we find in common, and many feminists realize that BCP and anything artifical suppresses one’s sexual identity to a artificial mechanism. A good site would be www.tcoyf.com

And a growing number of mainstream Protestant churches are starting to promote NFP using the same natural law and unity of marriage concepts that the Catholic Church has argued.

[quote=renee1258]Also women just gobble up the infomation wishing someone told them this is how their bodies works years back in health ed in middle school.
[/quote]

:amen:

I know I was furious when I realized how ignorant most women are about their bodies. I certainly was until I did some research as an adult. All girls should be given at least the basics so that they know they are normal and nothing is wrong with them (or at least they might be clued in when something is wrong). It would certainly be better “health ed” than proper grooming techniques, or the merits of pads vs. tampons.

I don’t know the percentage. I’m sure it’s not very large (what percentage goes to Mass every weekend? 50?).

Having not heard about NFP until being married 8 years ago and recently started teaching it, I am surprised at how many people show support. Doing talks, having a table at a fair, classes, etc. There are people in all corners that are aware and practice NFP. If I didn’t talk about it all the time with “strangers”, I wouldn’t realize that.

That’s why I encourage anyone practicing NFP to let your priest know. Mention it after mass (then other folks leaving mass can here you :slight_smile: ). Be a witness. Priests feel like it’s a burden for married couples and no one practices NFP. If priests were more aware, I feel they would be more supportive of it.

What’s NFP?

:ehh:

[quote=FightingFat]What’s NFP?

:ehh:
[/quote]

Natural Family Planning. There are plenty of dicussions here regarding NFP. Keep in mind: 1> It’s not rythm method, 2> it’s healthy in that there is no surgery or drugs involved, and a women can detect many health issues earlier, 3> It’s just as effective as any other contraception, (over 99%). It involves detecting changes in basal temperature, cervical muccus, and the cervix itself, or any combination. These syptoms help determine the days a women is fertile.

O! I C!! Thanks Rascal!

I always found contraception a funny issue. I don’t really understand why using a barrier method was different to the rythm method and other ‘NFP’.

My wife and I have been discussing my getting ‘the snip’ but, though I see the sense in what she says, I can’t go through with it. It’s not that I’m frightened of the op (although I am) it’s more that I just would feel it was against my faith.

Funny how as you get older this stuff just becomes a part of you, like your arm or your leg. You just ‘are’ Catholic.

:slight_smile:

A lot of the science on NFP is written but non-Catholics. www.tcoyf.com is a great site. I’ve just started the Billings Method. It is quite amazing, that all along our bodies gave signs of when we did ovulate. I was reading up on the Billings Method, and its effectiveness in rural area of Asia and South America. These women were illiterate, but the understand the concept.

It is here in American, where we only believe the only way to prevent a baby is to stop ovulation or prevent the life from implanting in the womb and dying off. To abstaind for a few days seems to be out of the question.

I dont quite get why NFP is better than contraception. You are still trying to avoid getting pregnant while having sex, and it has the same rate of effectiveness. I mean, people use use condoms or the pill sometimes still do get pregnant, and i doubt God would be stopped by a piece of rubber. I think you’re still giving god the message I dont want more children I want to use sex for selfish purposes. I dont see a problem with that at all, Im just saying why is NFP so much better than contraception if the affects are the same? (and im talking about religiously)

The problem with contraception isn’t the end result – it’s the method used to obtain that result.

I have a question, if sex is used to make a baby in our faith then when a woman is pregnant can she still have sex? you cant make more babies, so its sex without fertility so is that wrong?

[quote=TarAshly]I have a question, if sex is used to make a baby in our faith then when a woman is pregnant can she still have sex? you cant make more babies, so its sex without fertility so is that wrong?
[/quote]

Sex isn’t just about making babies in our faith… It is also a key to keeping the relationship close. In fact, it is encourged for that reason too. There is a great book by Scott Hahn, of course I can’t remember the name of it… I know one of the fellow poster will, I hope… Mean while I will try to look it up.

I don’t know the % of Catholics who use NFP, but I have read that the %of NFP practicing Catholics who divorce is around 1% compared to nearly 50% for the general population & darn close for nonNFP Catholics.

Sumpin’ to think about!

I use it and wish more catholics knew about it. Many think I’m crazy for not using any artificial BC but i think learning about your body is the best way!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.