What prayers do you say?

I am trying to make a commitment of spending 1 hour of prayer on my days off (I work 12 hour shifts and my parish locks its doors well before I get off of work) in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel (gee…I think that is what it is called–still new at this–it is where our tabernacle is kept :o ) but am wondering on the different sorts of prayers that I can say. I have all of the ‘common’ prayers ‘memorized’ but would like to say and learn more. Any suggestions???

Praying and Reading:

• the Rosary
  • the Divine Mercy
  • read the Bible

It is also important to listen:

• be silent and let the Lord speak to your heart.

For me, praying the Divine Office, The Liturgy of the Hours, morning and evening prayer, everyday, is a must.

I add contemplative prayer after the evening prayer as well.

My wife and myself are scheduled for an hour each Saturday, at the Adoration Chapel. There I pray Rosary, the Liturgy of the Hours, and contemplative prayer.

Jim

I would suggest that instead of lots of the littler shorter prayers that, though they pack a lot of punch, it may be move valuable to spend some of that time in a conversation, of sorts, with the Lord. A format that was suggested to me was the Examen. Many of the versions and wordings that I’ve found online seem to focus too much on “me” and how we have interacted with Christ within the time that we are reflecting and praying upon. I have found it very helpful! It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 45, it just depends on how deep you go and the length of time you are reflecting upon. If/when you may choose to use it, just make sure you are really speaking to Jesus, not just reflecting within your intellect (I have had a bit of trouble with that at times).

Hope this helps!! God Bless!

m.a.t.h.

Thanks everyone for your help!! :slight_smile:
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Liturgy of Hours???
Thanks again and God Bless

The Pieta Book is perfect for this and also you can pick up a Novena book to the Saints at any Catholic Store.

Great!! Thanks again for all of your help:)

God Bless

Morning: Chaplet of St. Michael and prayers for my family…

Afternoon: Rosary and Chaplet of Divine Mercy…

Evening: Memorare and bedtime prayers…

Hope this helps. God bless.

I bought the handbook for indulgences that contain many indulgenced prayers. Why not memorize these for the remission of the temporal punishment still due from forgiven, post-baptismal sin for yourself and for the souls in purgatory?

There are several indulgenced prayers you probably already know.

Soul of Christ make me holy
Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace
Come, Holy Spirit
Look down upon good and gentle Jesus
Te Deum
Magnificat
Angelus
Memorare
Hail Holy Queen
We turn to you for protection Holy Mother of God
Holy Mary help those in need
Eternal Rest grant unto them
Prayer for the Pope
several litanies
Psalm 130
Psalm 51
Acts of Faith, Hope, Love, and Contrition
Apostles’ Creed
Renewal of Baptismal Promises
Prayer to guardian angel

and many more.

The Liturgy of the Hours is sort of complicated for beginners. Unless you are committed to praying it every day, at least twice a day if not more (and it takes about 10-15 minutes to pray each hour reverently) then I would maybe look into Shorter Christian Prayer which is an abridged much shorter version of the LOTH. Or, better yet, get a subscription to Magnificat. That has a short version of the LOTH and the Mass readings for every day, plus other prayers and meditations.

Also, when going to Adoration, you don’t always have to be doing mental prayer. It is sometimes best just to sit with Jesus and let Him talk to you. We spend too much time talking to Jesus and not enough time listening.

I pray Morning and Evening prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours (Shorter Christian Prayer) which I got at our Catholic bookstore.

Also I attend daily Mass as often as I am able.

Sometimes my prayer is just a quick “Lord help me not to strangle this child.” prayer during the course of the day. “Lord help me to listen to this person who obviously can’t see that I’m trying to do something else.”

In speaking with my pastor last time I went to confession, he reminded me that quality of prayer was much more important than quantity. And that faithfulness to whatever we decide to do is important.

Rather than set prayers you might consider Lectio Divina. It’s a way of giving God a chance to say something to you. This page from Fr. Luke Dysinger explains it well: valyermo.com/ld-art.html

The Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet are always good. I also recommend the Catholic Book of Prayers

Thanks again everyone for your help!! :slight_smile:

My favorite prayer is the Jesus Prayer (I’m sure you may have seen me making a plug for this fabulous practice on another thread, so I’ll keep it short and say google those two words and/or read The Way of a Pilgrim).

As for set prayers, I like to pray the Rosary once in a while (not regular, though I’ve considered starting to go to Mass early enough every Sunday to pray the Rosary before Mass. (If you pray the Rosary in a Church on a day you receive the Eucharist and make a confession, then you get a plenary indulgence - as long as you also say at least a Hail Mary and an Our Father for the intentions of the Holy Father. What a great opportunity! …that I don’t take advantage of nearly often enough!)

I also like to pray an Our Father, three Hail Mary’s, and one Saint Michael Archangel, defend us in battle… before going to bed.

In hope that He will convert your prayer life for you.
Stephen

I have a couple to St. Philip Neri that I’m fond of. Here they are (Mods: please edit them out if need be. TY):

Cardinal Newman’s Prayer to St. Philip

Philip, my glorious advocate, teach me to look at all I see around me after thy pattern as the creatures of God. Let me never forget that the same God who made me, made the whole world and all men and all animals that are in it. gain me the grace to love all God’s works for God’s sake, and all men for the sake of my Lord and Saviour who has redeemed them by the Cross. and especially let me be tender and compassionate and loving towards all Christians, as my brethren in grace. And do thou, who on earth wast so tender to all, be especially tender to us, and feel for us, bear with us in all our troubles, and gain for us from God, with whom thou dwellest in beatific light, all the aids necessary for bringing us safely to Him and to thee.

Source: Meditations and Devotions

Prayers to St. Philip

A Prayer attributed to Cardinal Baronius*

Look down from heaven, holy Father, from the loftiness of that mountain to the lowliness of this valley, from that harbour of quietness and tranquillity to this calamitous sea. And now that the darkness of this world hinders no more those benignant eyes of thine from looking clearly into all things, look down and visit, O most diligent Keeper, that vineyard which thy right hand planted with so much labour, anxiety, and peril. To thee then we fly, from thee we seek for aid: to thee we give our whole selves unreservedly; thee we adopt for our patron and defender. Undertake the cause of our salvation, protect thy clients; to thee we appeal as our leader, rule thine army fighting against the assaults of the devil; to thee, kindest of rulers, we give up the rudder of our lives; steer this little ship of thine, and placed as thou art on high, keep us off all the rocks of evil desires, that with thee for our pilot and our guide we may safely come to the port of eternal bliss.

O holy Father, St. Philip, I beseech thee by the abundance of the gifts thou didst receive from God, both of nature and of grace, and by the glory thou dost enjoy in heaven, to help me to obtain the joys of Paradise.
[LIST]
*]http://www.bromptonoratory.com/history/page4.html[/LIST]*****This is the usual attribution: another possible author is Antonio Gallonio, who includes the prayer at the end of his 1600 Life of St. Philip

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.