I agree with Mystophilus
There has to be a negotiation. And in any good negotiation everyone walks away feeling like they didn’t get fully what they wanted or demanded. Just some of it.
We’d have to be motivated not by politics and dogma, but by love of Christ. Christ asks us what would we be willing to give up, when we choose to follow him. In order to make his prayer come true (may they all be one) we’d ALL have to sacrifice something.
If I may add to the list of Major things to considerations:
- Protestants would need to accept the Eucharist
- The Catholic Magesterium would need to accept that although God doesn’t change because we are imperfect, The Holy Spirit always corrects us and helps us grow deeper and WE can change. His ways are above our ways. Therefore, an old dog can learn new tricks.
- The Papacy would need to remain, but have a sort of “Knights of the Round Table” with leaders of other denominations that have been turned into different Orders in line to be possible successors too.
- Women ordained to Deacon & Nuns given Deacon level responsibilities .
- Celibacy within a vocation would need to be a personal choice not a requirement.
The insignificant/lighter considerations
6) Catholic music has to be revised. Protestants come to church to celebrate God, not just meditate on God. Somebody call Whoopi BUT please Evangelicals a band is more than tambourines and a drummer!
7) Evangelicals Southern Baptists & Pentecostals would have to stop saying “Amen” at the end of every sentence (thats just a personal request :D)
8) Bible Study/Sunday School…for everyone!! Especially into adulthood. Yes! Im pointing at you Latin Catholics:D (stereotypes are born from somewhere…cuz its true I really do like fried chicken hot sauce and grape soda)
(My attempts to bring some levity to a heavy topic )
It would be an UGLY process… but to make Christ smile, wouldn’t it be worth it?
HUMILITY CHARITY & PRAYER would be the starting point to this process. We’d ALL be required to see our beliefs as a reflection of our egos as much as it is a reflection of Christ, Then sort out ego from truth.
IF we are all united as one Church, the integrity of God’s message would skyrocket. THEN. When WE speak on a topic, fully united. The world would know, its not US talking on the issue…Its GOD! Without this unity NONE OF US have any integrity in what we say. We are all reduced to good people who like the sound of our own politics.
I too would be on board fully and totally to making Christ’s prayer come true, since he works so hard to make mine come true.
Our new Name should be…(((drum roll)))
**“The First Orthodox Catholic Assembly of the United Apostolic Church of Christ” **
aka the FOCAUACC
(Its a work in progress:shrug: Try making that into a pronounceable acronym :eek: