What rite am I?

I recently found out that my dad is a maronite, though we all attend the latin rite church.

My mum is latin rite, and i was baptised in a latin rite church.

So…which rite am I?

What should my dad be doing regarding the difference, he says we’re all Catholic anyway, rites dont matter, is he right?

In Christ.

Andre.

From the 1990 CCEO (Eastern Rite Code of Canon Law):

Canon 29

1. By virtue of baptism, a child who has not yet completed his fourteenth year of age is enrolled in the Church sui iuris of the Catholic father; or the Church sui iuris of the mother if only the mother is Catholic or if both parents by agreement freely request it, with due regard for particular law established by the Apostolic See.
  1. If the child who has not yet completed his fourteenth year is: (1) born of an unwed mother, he is enrolled in the Church sui iuris to which the mother belongs; (2) born of unknown parents, he is to be enrolled in the Church sui iuris of those in whose care he has been legitimately committed are enrolled; if it is a case of an adoptive father and mother, 1 should be applied; (3) born of non-baptized parents, the child is to be a member of the Church sui iuris of the one who is responsible for his education in the Catholic faith.

The church sui iuris is basically your rite.

So absent your parents requesting that you be enrolled in the Latin Rite, you are in the Maronite Rite. Note that the rite of the priest or church where your baptism was performed do not enter into the determination of your rite.

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me, but I don’t see that your rite matters all that much unless you want to be a married priest someday.

[quote=Magicsilence]I recently found out that my dad is a maronite, though we all attend the latin rite church.

So…which rite am I?

What should my dad be doing regarding the difference, he says we’re all Catholic anyway, rites dont matter, is he right?

In Christ.

Andre.
[/quote]

You are maronite because your dad is maronite. Baptism does not affect it. This is the same as my situation. My dad is maronite but I was raised in a latin parish and recieved all the sacraments in a latin parish. I didn’t know I was actually maronite until about a year ago.

Your dad is right, you are just as much Catholic either way. Being Maronite just means that you are from the Lebanese tradition of Catholicism. You could attend the Maronite liturgy if there is one in your area.

The only way it matters is if you want to become a priest, then you would have to become a maronite priest or get permission from both the maronite bishop and the latin bishop to switch to the latin rite… Also I believe that if you want to be married or you want your child to be baptized in a latin parish you are suposed to get a dispensation from the local maronite bishop. I think I over heard a priest telling my brother that before my brother had his daughters baptized.

[quote=Magicsilence]I recently found out that my dad is a maronite, though we all attend the latin rite church.

So…which rite am I?

In Christ.

Andre.
[/quote]

If you want to continue to practise the Latin Rite, and would rather consider yourself to be a member of the Latin Rite, then you should apply for a transfer of ritual Church membership. Your local Latin Rite Diocese should be able to help you with this.

Here is a thread that deals with it that I started.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=44774&highlight=maronite

[quote=jimmy]You are maronite because your dad is maronite. Baptism does not affect it. This is the same as my situation. My dad is maronite but I was raised in a latin parish and recieved all the sacraments in a latin parish. I didn’t know I was actually maronite until about a year ago.

Your dad is right, you are just as much Catholic either way. Being Maronite just means that you are from the Lebanese tradition of Catholicism. You could attend the Maronite liturgy if there is one in your area.

The only way it matters is if you want to become a priest, then you would have to become a maronite priest or get permission from both the maronite bishop and the latin bishop to switch to the latin rite… Also I believe that if you want to be married or you want your child to be baptized in a latin parish you are suposed to get a dispensation from the local maronite bishop. I think I over heard a priest telling my brother that before my brother had his daughters baptized.
[/quote]

Yes it can cause complication with contracting matrimony, holy orders or entering a religious order because when a person is under the governance of an Oriental Church they are not bound to our Canon Law but rather the Canon Law of the Oriental Churches and their obedience is under the local bishop of their rite and not the local latin bishop.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.