What’s an Apostolic Christian and why is Kim Davis’ hair so long?

(RNS) Kim Davis, the Rowan County, Ky., clerk jailed for five days for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, identifies as an Apostolic Christian and attends Solid Rock Apostolic Church in Morehead, Ky.

But what’s an “Apostolic Christian” and why does the group object to same-sex marriage? Let us ‘Splain:

religionnews.com/2015/09/09/splainer-whats-apostolic-christian-kim-davis-hair-long/

Religion News Service: The news service that hates religion.

Informative article about Apostolic Pentecostal beliefs, including their view of the Trinity and their customs regarding dress and technology, which provide some context concerning Kim Davis’ feelings about same-sex marriage and, most likely, gay people in general. With regard to the issue at hand, however, the length of her hair and the clothes she wears are completely irrelevant.

Not necessarily so. Oneness (Apostolic) Pentecostals do not believe that women should cut their hair.classroom.synonym.com/pentecostal-beliefs-hair-skirts-6408.html

I understand that. However, the irrelevance is in regard to the current issue, which is Kim Davis’ lack of compliance in issuing SSM licenses due to her religious beliefs. The issue is not the length of her hair.

This specific article doesn’t seem hateful in any way.
It reads neutral and informative.

I wouldn’t rely on second or third hand information about a person’s belief system. Just like when the press reports on the Catholic Church they probably have it wrong. Especially with Protestant groups, you need to go to that communities website to find what they believe. They will either have a statement of faith, bylaws of refer to a main organization website.

Goodness, why do you say that? They are well respected and report informational pieces as well as general news on religion. I don’t believe they ‘hate’ religion at all.

What’s an Apostolic Christian? If you use this term correctly that would make you a Catholic.:smiley:

OK. I misunderstood your comment.

No problem. We’ve all done that.

To be fair in my family regardless of the religion we don’t always cut our hair and my little sister has only had her hair cut once in her life. Now I only get a haircut once a year but that’s for a different reason.

I know some Pentecostal women who are obligated by faith to have long hair worn on top of their head and long dresses or skirts. St. Paul does say in the Bible that women should not cut their hair. I believe in his day women with short hair were prostitutes.

Amish women never cut their hair either.

The “hit and run” style of posting random internet articles without comment as to relevance to anything is a real turn off.

Ok, so she wears her lair long.
:shrug:

Every day there are tons of random articles posted. Most with “out of context” titles, or titles that would beg arguments.

I rather hear that forum members have the occasional original thought or question, regardless of whether or not I personally agree or disagree with the premise.

The only reason I clicked on this one was because the thread title was so off. :rolleyes:
My mistake.

Much more enlightening are the comments at the end of the article. Funny how trolls seem to show up pretty much anywhere a discussion of religion takes place. :cool:

Some Amish do. And some Pentecostals do, but some don’t, based on some biblical thing, probably as stated by a previous poster. There are other strictures followed by some, for example never using nicknames or short versions of one’s name. But there is a significant amount of variation among the various congregations when it comes to all of that.

A Homosexual-Rights News Service? RNS Denies LGBT Money Influences Its Religion Coverage

WASHINGTON — The editor of Religion News Service has denied that a grant from a wealthy LGBT advocacy funder has biased its coverage of traditional religion, which includes a recent controversial story on Cardinal Raymond Burke.

The Arcus Foundation dispenses millions of dollars in grants every year to support LGBT activism. Its 2014 grants included $120,000 to the Religion Newswriters Foundation, the owner of the widely syndicated Religion News Service.

The Arcus Foundation’s grant listing said the one year of support was intended “to recruit and equip LGBT supportive leaders and advocates to counter rejection and antagonism within traditionally conservative Christian churches.”

The foundation’s Sept. 23, 2014, announcement said the grant aimed at “fostering a culture of LGBT understanding through the media” by funding the production of feature stories and blog posts “about religion and LGBT peoples of color.”

I grew up in a Oneness, “Apostolic” church . I’m not sure if Kim Davis is part of the same organization, but my parents and their friends are very passionate about Davis.

They call themselves Apostolic because they believe their church is the one left by Jesus, practicing the charismatic gifts (tongues of prophecy, laying on of hands, driving out demons in Jesus’ name), and worshiping in exuberant style. They don’t consider themselves Protestant, since in their view the ‘real’ church began before the pre-schism Church organization of the early fathers. They believe that salvation requires speaking in tongues as proof that the Holy Ghost is present, but they also deny the Trinity, subscribing to modalism.

Technically speaking, Kim Davis is not a Christian because she denies the Trinity (which adds yet another level of irony to this whole story).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.