What saves, blood or water?

For the Catholic faith what do you believe saves you? the blood spilled on the cross or water baptism? Maybe both?

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm

I believe Jesus came down to save us…to bring us the message of Hope…It is still up to us whether we are going to follow him in this Life journey. Our life is not over yet so we still have to strive hard and live by the commandments…In the end, when our time will pass, we will be judge by God alone…God does not want to send a soul to Hell. His mercy does not require it but his Justice does…

Interesting. Your post on blood and water reminds me about the Divine Mercy Chaplet.

Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

We believe what the Bible says. Baptism saves us.

But we also believe what the Bible says: baptism would have no efficacy if not for the Blood spilled on the Cross.

Also I was curious, many Christians say that Catholics are not saved but what do Catholics think about Christians? are we saved?

Only God can know the hearts of men… If we say a particular person is not saved we are condemming that person and we are taking God’s right to judge… We are taking away God’s right because God is the only Judge…

Amen!

You have to understand, that we consider everyone Catholic who is baptized in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
You are one of us, Catholic.
But being one of us in this new birth into Citizenship in the Kingdom established by God with Jesus as our King does not mean you are finished. Jesus told his apostles they must also confirm these newly born Citizens in the faith by teaching them all he commanded them. When that is done there is full fellowship of active discipleship in the mission of the Church and moving on to the depth of the faith, the depth of the love of God, rather than dwelling on basic elements of the faith as if that is all there was.

You are one of us, Catholic. You have no idea the riches that are there in full fellowship. (I say that as formerly being Lutheran, a very well educated Lutheran, who never dreamed there could be so much more than I thought was so good back then)

nice! This reminds how sometimes the Church refer to Protestants…our separated brothers and sisters!!!

This is exactly what I believe and say all the time but few of my brothers and sisters will listen, there is a massive debate of judging others and it isn’t pretty but I am glad to see you agree:D

You know I have gone by many names as a believer Christian seeker of God’s heart child of fire but in the end I can only know myself as God’s child and my friend I too have been revealed the riches of God and I can say this a thousand times and it still won’t be enough but the riches and the love and the depth of God is far beyond what we can ever imagine
if you spent just one day with jesus in heaven even if it was to sit at his feet and have him teach you then you will never be the same when you come back and you will know that the greatest treasures in heaven are not jewels nor crowns not honor or glory not even physical things.

Think of anything you could ever want in heaven all the riches all the honor and glory all the crowns and titles the blessings and yet there is a treasure still that not even heaven itself can compare

That is not correct. We consider everyone baptised with water in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit as CHRISTIAN.

Afraid not; there is one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church. No other. You will note that I did not say “Roman Catholic”, but “Catholic”, and “Citizen of the Kingdom established by God”; There is no other Kingdom, there is no other Church, but only One.

Note: When we baptize a baby, we do not say, “Well, you are only a ‘generic Christian’ until you are confirmed Catholic”. No, you are baptized; you are Catholic, whether you realize it or not, like it or not, follow Catholic doctrine or not. And we want you in full fellowship because you are one of us.

What saves, blood or water? Both. In baptism, the graces merited by the blood of Christ for mankind are applied to the individual, where baptism refers to being baptized in water in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit or, when that is not possible or not known, to so-called baptism of desire, i.e., the desire to do God’s will.

God desires all to worship him in spirit and truth and the fullness of truth is found in the Catholic Church. However, God doesn’t hold it against those who fail to fully join the Catholic Church because they don’t know that the fullness of truth is found there, as Jesus said:
And that servant who knew his master’s will, but did not make ready or act according to his will, shall receive a severe beating. But he who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, shall receive a light beating. Every one to whom much is given, of him will much be required; and of him to whom men commit much they will demand the more.(Luke 12:47-48)

Baptism of Desire is meant for pagans who died without the opportunity of entering and into the One Holy Catholic Church but by God’s mercy were allowed to see the importance of baptism for salvation but were unable to have a Priest offer them it.

Baptism of Blood refers to Holy Martyrdom were even a non Catholic christain could be saved by giving their lives for Christ.

But these are very rare exceptions because Christ has given us the Catholic Church has only means of salvation without Her it is very difficult to be saved.

Ok that last part right there, how is it the Catholic church has the only means of salvation? Salvation is a free gift to all who call out to him, I was saved by the blood of Jesus because of what he did for me and because I begged him to come into my heart.

Even before I was saved I was in my bed alone at night crying and I called out to God I asked him to please show me he is real that I am not alone in this world that I am actually cared about, then as I fell asleep I was in a pure white place and God the father was standing right next to me, I could not see him as he was not in a physical form but he was there and in front of us was a river of rainbow colors far more vivid and far more beautiful than any colors you will see int his world.

He told me what we were looking was his plan and it was so beautiful all I could do was say thank you for showing me this over and over and over again as I was crying from the beauty of it and this was only the first time I actually met him and I wasn’t even saved yet, the second time I met father was when I was saved and once again it was in that pure white place, I have only met Jesus once but maybe soon I can meet him again.

The church is not what saves a person God is and the only means of salvation is Jesus

Because Christ established Her as His Church and gave St. Peter and the twelve apostles the authority to teach and forgive sinners in the Confessional.

He told Simon that You are Peter and upon This Rock I will Build My Church and The gates of hell shall never prevail against it.

Also He said that the road to enteral hell is wide but the road to heaven is very narrow.

Just because you believe in Christ will not save you because you need to believe in everything He Teaches and only the Catholic Church teaches it.

Look at the wonderful articles on Catholic Answers that will explain how important it is to be Catholic.

Asking Jesus into your heart is a great thing. Accepting him as your saviour is a great thing. All amen to that.

But you weren’t saved because you did that. That’s unbiblical; nowhere in the Bible is “accepting Jesus into your heart” regenerates you. It is explicit, however, that Baptism does. Everywhere the New Testament mentions conversion it is always followed by baptism. And no, the old objection that “baptism is merely a sign/statement that you’ve been saved” doesn’t hold water. Scripture is explicit: baptism itself saves you. It is in Baptism that the Blood of Jesus makes us a new creation. We do not exclude the Blood at all; if not for Calvary, baptism is for naught.

But baptism is absolutely necessary for Salvation. This is the Biblical teaching. It is therefore the Catholic teaching.

I agree with this! This is how I understand it!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.