What scriptures do some non-Catholics cite for the bad One World Religion?

I don’t want to go on some anti-Catholic web site to look.

God Bless
:signofcross:

Last year some folks leafletted cars in our parish parking lot with Scripture verses supposedly showing us the error of our ways. :rolleyes: Maybe I should have kept them!

The one on our car was about calling no man “Father” from Matthew 23. CA actually has a good answer on that one here.

[quote="PoorKnight, post:1, topic:340444"]
What scriptures do some non-Catholics cite for the bad One World Religion?

[/quote]

I've often heard Rev. 17:15 cited on this score: "The waters you saw, where the harlot sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages." They say the harlot of Rev. 17 represents a false religion of the Antichrist. Also Rev. 13:8, which is a little more clear: "All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written in the Lamb’s book of life, the Lamb who was slain from the creation of the world." (See also v. 12.)

2 Thessalonians has a good one.

"Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness."
(2 Thessalonians 2:1-12)

The son of perdition is the Pope!!! :eek:

Cool, thanks,

Following-up, how do they (or we for that matter) square those passages with the passages calling us to one religion?

For example Jesus' prayer that we all become One in faith, or Paul saying that there is only One Faith, One Lord, One Baptism; Paul exorting us to have no disagreements when it comes to the faith; and the catch of 153 fish (Jerome believed this was the number of nations of the world), brought to Christ in one net with out tear (schism) at the dawn of a new day?

Is the thought that there will be two 'one-world religions', one good (the Bride of Christ) and one evil (the beast) and we have to discern between the two?

I'm in an e-mail discussion with an ex-Catholic 'Born Again Christian' who keeps bringing up the 'one-world religion' and I think he's going to use that against me when I bring up "one faith, one lord, one baptism" saying that points to a 'one world religion'!

Bottom line, I'm trying to stay one step ahead... hope this makes sense.

God Bless

[quote="PoorKnight, post:5, topic:340444"]
Cool, thanks,

Following-up, how do they (or we for that matter) square those passages with the passages calling us to one religion?

For example Jesus' prayer that we all become One in faith, or Paul saying that there is only One Faith, One Lord, One Baptism; Paul exorting us to have no disagreements when it comes to the faith; and the catch of 153 fish (Jerome believed this was the number of nations of the world), brought to Christ in one net with out tear (schism) at the dawn of a new day?

Is the thought that there will be two 'one-world religions', one good (the Bride of Christ) and one evil (the beast) and we have to discern between the two?

I'm in an e-mail discussion with an ex-Catholic 'Born Again Christian' who keeps bringing up the 'one-world religion' and I think he's going to use that against me when I bring up "one faith, one lord, one baptism" saying that points to a 'one world religion'!

Bottom line, I'm trying to stay one step ahead... hope this makes sense.

God Bless

[/quote]

The devil always tries to ape what God has created. Jesus said to make disciples throughout the world: "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you." Matt. 28:19-20. That means Christianity is supposed to be a one world religion. And of course, that's what the devil is going to try to do too.

What will identify the devil's religion is its falsehoods: it will proclaim man himself as the solution to all his own problems and deny God and Jesus Christ. The Catechism says this in paragraph 675: "Before Christ's second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh."

As long as we stick to biblical Christianity, i.e. Catholic Christianity, we have nothing to fear from this supreme religious deception.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.