What Should a Priest Do in the Case of a Eucharistic Miracle?

Eucharistic miracles, in which the Body and Blood of Christ change their appearance as well as their substance so as to actually look like flesh and blood, have occurred several times throughout history.

My question is this: given that the Mass has a rubric, what is a priest supposed to do if a Eucharistic miracle occurs during Mass? Should he continue with the Mass? Should he still administer Holy Communion? Should he simply put the Blessed Sacrament in the Tabernacle? Is there any set protocol for something like that?

well he should finish the Eucharistic prayer no matter what. He has to say the entire eucharistic prayer for the Mass to be valid.

I would than set aside the Host that changed with it’s accidental properties as well.

I don’t know if you would distribute but the priest would still have to consume under both species.

I don’t think there is really any procedure but the priest should do what is necessary to make the Mass valid.

I do not know the exact rubrics procedure but it would make sense to me to place the particular host inside the Tabernacle, notify the Bishop of what happened, I.D. any witnesses (because the Bishop will surely investigate the purported miracle). It is my understanding that the host that exhibits the miracle is to be preserved. How else could the Bishop authenticate the event.

I’m not sure, if the priest can substitute the miraculous host with another from the Tabernacle or not.

Think we need Fr. David’s advise here. :highprayer:

He should call:

Scientists, reporters, photographers, psychiatrists, and the cops.

Because no one has ever been able to confirm that it’s ever really happened. People have said it has, but no evidence. Must line up these people to confirm for the record.

Already happened in Sokolka Poland, regarding the Eucharistic miracle there in 2008 and many others such as the one linked below.

Yes they have.

That’s not true. There has been indisputable evidence for these Eucharistic miracles.

You may be interested in this one DaddyGirl, there are others, however, I don’t think you will believe no matter what evidence I present for you. That is just my opinion, I am happy to be proved wrong though.

Eucharistic Miracle of Buenos Aires, Argentina 1996 - catholicpilgrim.org/2013/11/27/pope-francis-a-eucharistic-miracle-in-argentina/

This books goes into great detail regarding these Eucharistic miracles and the scientific results, if you are interested.

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

I agree with DaddyGirl. As a Catholic I do believe in miracles, but get very suspicious when they get “confirmed” by selected people. In the case of the Buenos Aires miracle in 1996, the investigating medical doctor (Dr. Frederic Zugibe) was specializing in studying a lot of other claimed miracles, including the Shroud of Turin.

We are not called to believe every miracle alleged to have occurred, and natural cynicism is a valuable position in the face of so much fraud and bunkum, as they would say in the States.

However, numerous Eucharistic miracles have been claimed over the years, and many have reputable evidence and respected witnesses.
But what I would say to those too quick to reject the possible. If as Catholics they accept the real presence of Jesus’s body blood soul and divinity in the received miracle every Mass, why show such surprise at a further miracle to show the power and love of God in this, one of the hardest tests of our faith?
Is it easier to say I forgive your sins or; get up and walk? We must take every opportunity to accept valid eyewitness reports of miracles that only support the unseen everyday miracle we take for granted. Cynicism yes; blind rejection no as it is as illogically irrational as un-examined blind acceptance.

The first person to call is the Bishop and then let him handle it from there. God Bless, Memaw

Orvieto, Italy, 1263. The Host is long lost to powder and dust, but the blood-stained corporal remains, enshrined in a side chapel. Many links, but I include one below:

catholicnewsagency.com/news/italys-orvieto-miracle-inspires-thousands-during-jubilee/

I am fortunate to have been there. Believe it or not, it is a most holy place.

I was curious because it’s my understanding that the priest is meant to consume the larger host. If that is the one that changes appearance, and if the priest is required to partake of the Eucharist under both species, would he be required to eat it? Or could he partake of a different consecrated host? And what about the blood? If that changes appearance, there is no substitute.

It seems to me like many priests would be caught between preserving the relics of the miracle and keeping the Mass valid and reverent.

Keep in mind that one of the criteria for being canonized as a saint is that two miracles must be confirmed to have occurred as a result of their intercession. While the Church isn’t infallible in the matter of confirming miracles, we can take, on good faith, that She is usually right, unless the nature of the miracle itself clearly demonstrates that it is false.

I remember an incident where the host allegedly appeared as flesh on a communicants tongue. The priest examined it and took pictures while it was still on the communicants tongue then asked the communicant to swallow it. The priest then documented everything and notified the bishop.

FYI, this was almost certainly a hoax on the part of the communicant as the bishop later determined.

What incident was that? Do you remember where and when that happened?

Don’t worry about it. It will never happen.

I feel sad for you. The Church has actually recognized over 100 Eucharistic miracles. Some have been documented like at Bagno di Romagna, Italy, when the priest himself was doubting the Real Presence. Don’t remember his name, but he repented of his doubt and eventually was named a “Venerable.”

We are told by scripture to put all things to the test and retain what is good, not automatically reject them because our faith is weak or because we have lost our sense of the Sacred.

The Canonization of a Saint is Infallible. So the Miracles have to be truly authentic. No doubt about it. Not ‘usually’ right, but “always” right. God Bless, Memaw

Yes, the canonization of a saint IS infallible. That was my point. Since canonization is infallible, and since miracles must be confirmed for a canonization to occur, we can reasonably believe that the confirmation of miracles not associated with canonizations are accurate as well.

Well, actually, that is not correct; you might look up Eucharistic Miracles as there is very real evidence. Try Lanciano for starters.

Right, the Church would approve them if they weren’t. God Bless, Memaw

Also, if anyone is interested, the following is a great archive on The Eucharistic Miracles of the World.

therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/engl_mir.htm

And I would also like to point out the following, Eucharistic Miracle of Argentina, Buenos Aires 1996 and Poland, Sokólka, October 12, 2008.

Argentina -

Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996 (part 1) - (PDF: 1.46M)
Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996 (part 2) - (PDF: 1.42M)
Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996 (part 3) - (PDF: 1.25M)

Poland -

Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 1) – (PDF: 1.41M)
Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 2) – (PDF: 1.31M)
Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 3) – (PDF: 1.41M)

The Sacred Heart Image (St Margaret-Mary Alacoque)

http://s7.postimg.org/4jx43bm1n/Christ_7.jpg

Jesus to St Margaret-Mary Alacoque -

"Behold this Heart which has loved men so much that it has spared nothing, even to exhausting and consuming itself in order to testify to them it’s love. In return I receive from the greater number nothing but ingratitude by reason of their irreverence and sacrileges and by the coldness and contempt which they show me in this sacrament of Love." (He is speaking to her of the Eucharist, please read about the scientific results of the above Eucharistic miracles to understand why I included this revelation to St Margaret-Mary Alacoque and please note, this was in the 1600’s).

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.