What should a priest do in this situation?

So, I was serving at Mass today, and an elderly lady got sick. They called an ambulance, and they took her outside and treated her out there. Father saw what was going on, and after he had done the consecration, he gave the EMHC the Holy Communion to distribute, and then he took the Oil of the Sick outside and anointed her. He came back in to purify the vessels and then Mass went on as usual.

Now, I have never seen this happen before. Most priests just go on with Mass as usual, and it was interesting to see Father do this. Is that what a priest is supposed to do during this situation? I always wondered what they were supposed to do when someone got sick during Mass, and I never saw what he did until today. It was sort of sweet to me. :D

I was taught that the mass has to be completed.

Do the laity on CAF know something the priest doesn't know?

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:1, topic:321976"]
So, I was serving at Mass today, and an elderly lady got sick. They called an ambulance, and they took her outside and treated her out there. Father saw what was going on, and after he had done the consecration, he gave the EMHC the Holy Communion to distribute, and then he took the Oil of the Sick outside and anointed her. He came back in to purify the vessels and then Mass went on as usual.

Now, I have never seen this happen before. Most priests just go on with Mass as usual, and it was interesting to see Father do this. Is that what a priest is supposed to do during this situation? I always wondered what they were supposed to do when someone got sick during Mass, and I never saw what he did until today. It was sort of sweet to me. :D

[/quote]

[quote="adrift, post:2, topic:321976"]

[/quote]

So Father consecrated the Eucharist, the faithful received the Eucharist (and it was no doubt done in a canonically correct manner), an elderly sick person on the way to hospital was anointed, and Father completed the mass.

It sounds like Father is a bit of a hero.... Thank God for priests like him.

He did fine. In a case like that he could have interrupted Mass at any moment and come back and completed Mass after the annointing ( my opinion only. ).

We had something similar happen at my Church last year. I have to admit I prefer the way your priest handled things.

AHHHH...the sacrament of healing performed when needed. He had already consecrated the host and handed it to the Eucharistic Minister who is allowed to distribute.

i think thats beautiful...

[quote="adrift, post:2, topic:321976"]

[/quote]

Read the OP. He did complete the Mass.

[quote="triumphguy, post:4, topic:321976"]
So Father consecrated the Eucharist, the faithful received the Eucharist (and it was no doubt done in a canonically correct manner), an elderly sick person on the way to hospital was anointed, and Father completed the mass.

It sounds like Father is a bit of a hero.... Thank God for priests like him.

[/quote]

Yep.

What an amazing priest !
God Bless !

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:1, topic:321976"]

[/quote]

I don't know whether it was according to a set protocol, but I think he did the right thing. The shepherd will leave the flock to go after a lost sheep. She wasn't lost, but the needs of the many were being tended to. He went to serve a member in need. Once that need was met he returned to the needs of the many. I see no harm here.

I like how he handled that. I hope our priests would do that also.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.