What should happens if a homeless guy goes to church only for receiving the Eucharist?

I mean like If he wants food and he's not Catholic and the only reason he receives the Eucharist if for free food and abuses Jesus? So then what might happen or can be done about this problem? :confused:

What if a hobo is hungry, not Catholic and the only reason he comes to Mass is to receive the Eucharist for free food and abuses Jesus? So then what might happen or can be done about this problem? :confused:

There's not much nutrition in a communion host. After trying this once, I doubt that your hypothetical hobo will be back.

However, some homeless people are extremely desperate for food (e.g in third-world countries) and some may come back.:shrug:

First of all, unless you know for certain the man is not Catholic, you shouldn't bar him from receiving Communion. Catholics, although we do what we can to let non-Catholics know they are not admitted to Holy Communion, don't "card" someone on the Communion line (unless we know for sure they are not Catholic, publicly excommunicated, or in grave sin).

Secondly, perhaps you shouldn't see this as a problem, but perhaps as an opportunity to offer this man a substantial meal. If he seems hungry, then partaking of the Eucharist is hardly a good way to satiate him. Instead, offer him a meal, a shower, a change of clothes, something like that. Who knows, he may be touched by your Catholic generosity and witness and wish to convert.

Hope it goes well.

I apologize for posting this thread twice, as I am a new member. Please discontinue to post on this thread and look for my other one. Thank you!:)

I have been in parishes where this has happened. It is pretty obvious when someone doesn't understand what is going on at Communion. What our pastor did was direct the ushers to take the person over to the rectory to get some real food.

[quote="Corki, post:7, topic:293628"]
I have been in parishes where this has happened. It is pretty obvious when someone doesn't understand what is going on at Communion. What our pastor did was direct the ushers to take the person over to the rectory to get some real food.

[/quote]

So, this is a real problem happening currently?

[quote="Ad_Infinitum, post:8, topic:293628"]
So, this is a real problem happening currently?

[/quote]

This was several years ago, when I attended a more down town parish. My current parish is very rural and not in walking distance for most homeless people. But I would expect it happens in most urban parishes. Sometimes the homeless just come in and sit in the back just to get warm. It's not really a problem.

He shouldn't recieve the Eucharist, but he should recieve some food and possibly some gift cards for the grocery store, the address of the food bank, and if he is willing, a ride to the homeless shelter.

Some non-Catholics are not sure about the protocol during Mass, also, and may receive communion without knowing it's bad. Can we do anything about this?

I'd see if the parish can give him a job. Doesn't have to be much; sweeping floors, general cleaning, etc., even at minimum wage will be much better than what he has now.

[quote="Ad_Infinitum, post:11, topic:293628"]
Some non-Catholics are not sure about the protocol during Mass, also, and may receive communion without knowing it's bad. Can we do anything about this?

[/quote]

Hmm, that's a hard one. It's not as if there is a visible sign on their soul stating their religion.:)

Anyone here actually lived in a third world country?

In the Philippines, beggars have a better chance of getting something to eat by begging at the church door than lining up for Communion.

[quote="Ad_Infinitum, post:1, topic:293628"]
I mean like If he wants food and he's not Catholic and the only reason he receives the Eucharist if for free food and abuses Jesus? So then what might happen or can be done about this problem? :confused:

[/quote]

"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." -Matthew 6:34

I hope our Lord God will not blame these people for their desperation in ignorance, but rather will begin to heal their soul with the Eucharist, for we pray that we be not condemned by our partaking for the sins we commit in ignorance. It is incredibly sad that these people are so hungry that the simple wafer and sip of wine is what they come for, but the healing power of our Lord works in strange ways and I pray that in these instances they aren't partaking to their condemnation but to the healing of their souls.

I always offer a dollar if I have one to the people on the corners; they may not "deserve" it because of their vices, and they might be fakes, but that is not my business. Christ asked us to recognize Him in the naked, the hungry, the sick, the imprisoned...and I try to see Him in the man with the sign on the corner. If he spends my offering on alcohol, that is his prerogative. I fully wished him an improved situation with my donation and my prayer. God will take care of the rest.

I came to this website, looking for hope and lots of posts made me lose it. Then I read your reply Carefree T and I could've sang. I wish all Catholics could be like you :)

[quote="Carefree_T, post:16, topic:293628"]
I hope our Lord God will not blame these people for their desperation in ignorance, but rather will begin to heal their soul with the Eucharist, for we pray that we be not condemned by our partaking for the sins we commit in ignorance. It is incredibly sad that these people are so hungry that the simple wafer and sip of wine is what they come for, but the healing power of our Lord works in strange ways and I pray that in these instances they aren't partaking to their condemnation but to the healing of their souls.

I always offer a dollar if I have one to the people on the corners; they may not "deserve" it because of their vices, and they might be fakes, but that is not my business. Christ asked us to recognize Him in the naked, the hungry, the sick, the imprisoned...and I try to see Him in the man with the sign on the corner. If he spends my offering on alcohol, that is his prerogative. I fully wished him an improved situation with my donation and my prayer. God will take care of the rest.

[/quote]

I totally agree. We don't really have homeless people where I live, at least not that I know of. I have never seen any homeless people begging or anything around here. But then again, I live in a very small town. However, if I did, I would certainly offer them a couple of dollars if I was able to afford it.

In my parish the congregation receives under both species at all masses. I see a few particular homless people who are usually drunk making a beeline for the precious blood, especially at morning masses.
For them its just another source of alcohol.
I know its wrong to make presumptions about people but the fact is that I see these guys falling about drunk everyday. They live on the streets. Their lifestyle puts them at great risk of infections such as hepathitis and God knows what else. Are they putting others who drink from the same chalice at risk?:confused:

[quote="Carefree_T, post:16, topic:293628"]

[/quote]

This is a beautiful and inspirational post, Carefree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.