What should i do about this situation from now on?

i feel embarrassed even asking this

there was this guy, who said he liked me, this started a lont time ago, when i was about 16. honestly, i was caught off guard at the time; i never considered the fact that a guy would actualy like me so i didn’t know how to defend myself. i started off by saying that i didn’t really want a relationship (which i didn’t really and still don’t) but he just kept pressuring me in to stuff and eventually i relented. this was back when i didn’t know my faith as well as i do now. basically i honestly didn’t know certain things were sins except sex outside of marriage which obviously isn’t all there is to it. anyways, let’s just say that i didn’t stand up for certain things i felt uncomfortable with (we never had sex because i knew that was wrong but the rest of it i honestly didn’t know but it’s still my fault for not looking in to it). i have since remedied the issue and have limited contact with him now because i didn’t want to continue. we’re still friends but i’ve made it clear that if he can’t have self-control then he needs to stay away from me

now the real problem, my parents have been oscillating between being ok with him and hating him; it’s a really weird dynamic. i’ve basically never admitted to being in a relationship with him. i guess i never really considered as such, it’s just stupid situation that i wish had never happened. i knew my parents would be against it and i really didn’t want to upset them. and also i wasn’t sure of how i felt. i know now but back then i didn’t and was very confused. i feel dumb for not being able to stand my ground for myself and my faith.

even after moving on with all this though, my parents still don’t trust me and they don’t really even know that anything happened. they just keep harassing me about it, saying how horrible he is and everything even though i’ve made it clear to them many times now that nothing is going to happen. and also they keep thinking that i’m lying to them whenever i go somewhere.they believe i’m actually going to see him when i’m not and i’ve never lied to them about where i’m going. if there are things that i’m going to and he’s going to be there, i’ve always told them.

i’ve gone to confession about it but didn’t give as much detail as this but i don’t know what to do now. i did sit them down once and tell them that i don’t like him now, that i wasn’t sure if i did before and regardless of his feelings, i’m not basing my life on whether or not he’s in it. and i asked them to please stop claiming he’s my boyfriend and that i’m sneaking around and all that. i don’t really think it’s helped though. do i have to consider this as a dating relationship? and if other people ask if i’ve had a boyfriend in the past, is it lying if i say i didn’t? we never said we were in a relationship; and i still don’t how i was feeling about it at the time. but i guess certain actions probably prove otherwise. i’m just very confused and want to move on from all this

You didn’t say if you are still in school. If you are, please see a counselor about this. The best thing to do right now is to stay away from him and pray.

I will pray for you.

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle;
be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray:
and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan and all the evil spirits
who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

in university. and i can’t really stay away from him unless i quit all my activities, school included. that doens’t really answer my question though. but thanks for the prayers

We all do things in our youth that we regret, you are still in your youth and have learnt now what is right and what is wrong as the Church teaches it ( If unsure there is a great book out called Catholicism for Dummies) however, I would tell your parents that you are discerning about becoming a nun, they then might back of about this guy, and tell them you are praying about it you just don’t know what you want.

tried that already actually, they just told me i would never make a good nun. as have many others actually. i don’t feel particularly called to religious life or marriage at this point. perfectly ok with being single.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.