What should I do after I have committed a mortal sin?

I have committed a mortal sin today.

Other than going to confession (which I have planned for the mass tomorrow at 7pm for adults- 4pm is for high school students), is there is another thing I must do before I go to confession?

Thank you so much. Pax.

2 Likes

Go pray an act of contrition.

3 Likes

It can’t hurt to pray and ask Jesus for forgiveness. Tell Him you are sorry and ask for strength to overcome temptation in the future. No one knows for sure what a perfect act of contrition is, but give it a try!

Peace and good.

@fauken @Welshrabbit
Just did an act of contrition. I’m planning to pray a nighttime prayer before I head to bed to examine my conscience and to ask God for my forgiveness.

Peace be with you.

5 Likes

Good for you. My only suggestion going forward is to always turn your will to God. Rely on His grace and not on your own efforts. God will infuse you with what you need.

2 Likes

Thank you. I usually hate myself after a mortal sin in extreme degrees but I realized that I’m still working towards to becoming a better Catholic. May God have mercy on my soul. Thank you for being here.

4 Likes

No problem. Never hate yourself. Once the devil gets you to sin; he loves to pound on your guilt and make it worse.

3 Likes

Thank you. I understand this- I’m going to work hard to not commit the same mortal sin again. I’m really excited for Mass tomorrow, as I always am.

2 Likes

That’s great! Mass is always good for the soul.

2 Likes

It is. God bless you!

3 Likes

You as well!!

1 Like

:love_you_gesture::sunglasses:

Your Intention to go to reconciliation ASAP is key. Your intent not only shows proper remorse, it also shows proper intent to immediately remove mortal sin on your soul in the correct way, the only way, one can be assured it is gone by virtue of that sacrament instituted by Jesus.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m really looking forward to Mass tomorrow.
I’m a convert so I’m still trying to follow our Holy Church faithfully- it takes time I guess :slight_smile:

Blessings!

1 Like

Jesus made a HUGE conditional statement, that IMV, isn’t stressed enough.

Jn 6:
53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; 54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever.”

WOW! :heart_eyes:

Thank you Lord for your One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church

2 Likes

:love_letter: thank you!

1 Like

:love_you_gesture::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Good advice! I wish I’d read your post in my teens - it would have saved me a lot of mental anguish.

1 Like

Yes, this is really good advice. Thankfully I’m feeling calm rather than going down in hatred. I’m really looking forward to Mass tomorrow.

2 Likes

Made my confession and had the Saturday Mass (Sunday Vigil) :slight_smile:
Korea is a day ahead of most people here, so it’s Sunday now.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: fantastic

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.