What should I do if a Neopagan offers to pray for me?

Hey everyone. What should I do if a Neopagan offers to pray for me? I ask because Neopagans do not believe in our God. Many of them worship a whole pantheon of "gods" like the ancient people do. Also, some cast spells as a form of prayer. Since I am very much opposed to the Occult, Witchcraft, Neopaganism in all its forms, and the New Age it makes me very leery of accepting an offer of prayer from a Neopagan. Also, would it be wrong to accept that offer since they'll be participating in idolatry? Wouldn't that be like giving them permission to commit the sin of idolatry?

I'm sorry if this post makes me sound scrupulous. I am scrupulous but this is something that is bothering my conscience.

No, I would respectfully decline if they're waiting for a response from you.

Good question.... I never thought of this scenario. I've had several friends that were pagans that came to the church thank God and I've never had them ask.

They're probably asking you and waiting for a response to see if you'll be accepting and interested in their practices.

Oh okay thanks MichaelHowling. I appreciate that. But why would they ask me that in order to see if I will accept or be interested in their practices? From what I understand, Neopagans do not believe in proselytizing?

Everyone is looking for acceptance. Everyone wants to know that what they do matters. They may be someone spiritually weak and in need of affirmation that what they do MAY be real .

[quote="Holly3278, post:1, topic:313230"]
Hey everyone. What should I do if a Neopagan offers to pray for me?

[/quote]

How do you feel about Christians who tell non-Christians that they'll pray for them?

[quote="Kaninchen, post:5, topic:313230"]
How do you feel about Christians who tell non-Christians that they'll pray for them?

[/quote]

Well, to be honest, I don't see anything at all wrong with that but I do think that a person should be as polite as possible about that and try not to come across as snobbish or "holier than thou".

I apologize, I wanted to add some more. I usually don’t tell someone that I am going to pray for them unless they are sick, injured, or going through a rough time. I see it as an act of kindness and I would hope that they think of it that way as well. What do you think? If you told me that you were sick and I told you I would pray for you to get better, would you be offended?

I might just consider it as a way for them to say that they wish you well. What if a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist… said that they were praying for me? (you can’t exactly stop them)… I’d say thank you (and end of story). So again, perhaps they only mean to wish you well. If they ask you to join a ritual of sorts, that’s a whole different story. I’d politely decline.

I would just say “thank you.”

[quote="Kaninchen, post:5, topic:313230"]

[/quote]

I'd say it's not a problem if Christians, Jews or Moslems pray for each othewr because they are all praying to the one true God. But asking a polytheist to pray for you is asking him to worship a false god/s.

Now one might argue that God hears the prayers offered to false "gods" by those who sincerely believe in them in their ignorance and grasping for the true God.

[quote="Petergee, post:10, topic:313230"]

Now one might argue that God hears the prayers offered to false "gods" by those who sincerely believe in them in their ignorance and grasping for the true God.

[/quote]

He certainly hears them but rejects them as offered to false gods. Nothing unclean can enter the presence of God.

You have nothing to worry about. Smile and say, "Thanks", because: "Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world."
1 John 4:4 (ESV)

I think there is a difference in thanking someone for making an offer from a sincere desire to do good (even in the wrong way), than to ask someone to do something you don’t believe in. By requesting, you would cause them to enter into sin on your behalf.

Their prayers and spells have no power over one made new by Christ. You are protected by the power of the One True God, the other principalities and powers bow in awe.

Decline.

Gosh, I wonder if this situation is being overanalysed? If a person of a different faith makes a genuine gesture to pray for me, that should be accepted for the good faith and generous gesture it is. *

One should thank the other for their kindness and move on. I don't think it is for me to cause insult or hurt, or to disrespect another acting in accord with their conscience, for that is what any statement to "reject" the offfer would be.

Should I be of a mind to seek to show them the way of my faith, that's a separate issue, and I'd certainly be questioning my competence to do that in a suitably sensitive way before making any attempt.*

I have had Wiccans and others say they will pray for me. I say “thank you.” If their prayers fall on deaf ears, then no loss. However, if God should deign to understand their intent, their love and sense of charity and choose to hear their prayers even if falsely directed, (which is what I believe happens), then all to the good.

I understand that people of other faith, non-Christians, have told the Pope he is in their prayers and he thanked them. This includes Buddhists (like the Dalai Lama), Islam and Mormons. Pope JPII asked rabbis to pray for him, among others. I’d say that trying to out Pope the popes would be scrupulosity.

Folks praying for one another is wonderful thing and one of our highest callings.

Just say, “Thank you very much, I will pray for you.”.

[quote="Polycarp1, post:11, topic:313230"]
He certainly hears them but rejects them as offered to false gods. Nothing unclean can enter the presence of God.

[/quote]

I don't think a prayer is "unclean" if it is honestly and sincerely made by a polytheist who, through no fault of his own, does not know that there is one true God. Such men are grasping for the true God even though they do not know Him. It is not up to you to tell God which prayers He will reject.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.