What should I do? (stuck in a rut)

Lately (and this has happened previously, also) I am stuck in a rut where I find myself partially unsure where I am going, but also deeply upset that I am going nowhere.

My friend's lives, it seems, are growing by leaps and bounds, whereas I feel I am stuck. I work a job I hate, I cannot seem to find better employment since I don't seem to fit the qualifications, and I don't know where I am going next.

I know a lot of people will say "well, don't think about what THEY'RE doing, think about what YOU'RE doing"...but that is not easily done. I need something more concrete than that.

What should I do?

I can’t answer your question as I can’t observe either you or your situation, or assess you abilities and nature
but I can and will say a prayer for you.

I would suggest that you die to yourself. There is real peace in Christ.

Mathew 11:28-30 says: "Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find reasts for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

If you look to the world to find peace, you will never find it. If you look to Christ, this is where you will find peace and the best and only real answer to your questions. Jesus has everything that you need.

[quote="LotusCarsLtd, post:1, topic:251575"]

What should I do?

[/quote]

Seek spiritual direction or make an appointment to speak with a priest.

If you are so good about thinking of what others are doing, then think about how lucky you are to have a job and about all the people who currently don't have jobs.

I totally understand what you mean though. I have struggled to find permanent work since graduating a year ago. My first work experience was so bad that I still get nightmares about it. Basically I was insulted on a daily basis and essentially had to beg for permission to go to church. For obvious reasons that job did not work out but I have since found other temporary and part time work in much better work environments.

Anyways, I consider myself blessed to find the work that I do and when the economy gets better and I gain enough work experience, I trust that God will provide the right opportunities for me.

Trust me on this though. You need to change your attitude and think about what is going good in your life rather than what is not going good. I used to have the most pessimistic of attitudes and it was miserable. I still struggle with this but force myself to think of a positive. For example, the horrid experience I had with my first job will enable me to be joyful in whatever job I will have for the rest of my life because I am now so appreciative of a good work environment. I can also cheer anyone up at work now when the job gets tough or one feels unappreciated because I can remind them of just how bad it can be and how lucky they are that the place they work at is not like what I have experienced in my past. It's a real blessing because everything is wonderful because it is not "that job"

Life is about getting lucky but without thinking positively, one misses out on all the luck. Above all, trust in God and things will work out.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.